HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

Post Thanks / Like

Re: trump's tariff may increase HF prices

Don’t worry too much Dave,

These Tarriffs will make very little difference in the receipt line of the products you buy. Companies such as Harbor Freight, Wal-Mart, etc have such a wide profit margin on the products coupled with the economy of scale means that the per unit price of the things we buy from China isn’t going to amount to much. For example, automakers have already come out and said, that a 20% steel tariff may increase the cost of a 30,000 car by $200 worst case scenario.

China is not the only supplier in world trade that can meet our demand for cheap semi-disposable products, we will quickly turn our heads to other countries who are anxiously waiting to get in on the action. That is, if it’s even worth the trouble.

Unfortunately the plans to get our industry back to thriving don’t seem that well planned. Americans want inexpensive goods, and it’s just not cost effective to make them in house. Foreign goods saturate our daily lives, it’s unavoidable.
    -Mark Smith

Miller Bobcat 250
    Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax215

Everlast PowerArc 210STL
    Hypertherm PowerMax45 Xp

Post Thanks / Like

Me ?

I'm hoping that The President tarriff's the CRAP out of China. I'm beyond tired of buying a product, only to see the "made in china" garbage written on it. Maybe then, this country will begin producing products, formerly made in china, and put our people and factories back to work. YES prices will be higer for the products, but I would rather pay more for an American made product that potentially will last, and feed a family from HERE.

Does China have the ability to make quality products ? yes.

Do they, for the most part ? That would depend on whom they're producing the product for.

I have no idea, other than the fact when I have a MIC product, I cringe, because I feel as though I'm going to have to buy it again down the line.

Makita products are made in china and they are still high quality, and last forever. Not sure how long that will last though.

Yet...

Not everything made in America is good either.I purchased two boxes of "Sungold" sand paper for my MIC Makita orbital sander. I had been using Bosch, but I wanted something a little more aggressive grit. Bought the Sungold hook and loop discs. The WORST sandpaper I've ever purchased. By far. The discs don't last 10 minutes. The bosch discs ? They not only last until the sandpaper is shot, but you can take them off the sander, and put them back on again. The Sungold "loop" backing separates itself from the paper disc, and the disc flies off the sander during use. The LOOP side material disconnects, and stays on the sander.

I tried lowering the speed, but it had no effect. They still separate and fall off.

I sent the company a complaining email, and they made NO response back.

I will NEVER buy from that "made in AMERICA" company again.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    T man.

15 + years working for myself, and by golly, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

Post Thanks / Like

Another example of "china steel".

Bought these for my pickup, less than 3 years ago. The metal is rotting from the inside out. Even though I primed and painted them, they're peeling like onions.

Stopped by the powder coating company today, regarding another product I'm having powder coated. Discussed the drums with the owner of the company.. His words were as follows:

"Don't bring them here, as even if I do the best powder coating job EVER, the drums will rot from the inside out. Nothing you can do about it, other than buy US made drums."

Well, my truck is so old, I can't get the drums anymore. I'm forced to buy junkyard drums, or offshore drums.

Looks as though I'll be buying drums every few years.

GO TRUMP ! Stop that crap from coming into this country, and we'll be forced to make, or buy better stuff.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    T man.

15 + years working for myself, and by golly, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

Post Thanks / Like

Like I mentioned,

If we force China out of the picture, another country will gladly step up and take their place.

The problem is right here in the good ole U.S. of A. American consumers want cheap goods. It’s good that you’re willing to pay more, however the majority are not. They want the minimum viable product, those of us who value longevity in a product are a minority of the consumer market. Most want cheap, in many cases, cheap enough that when it breaks they can buy another without a second thought.

We(Americans) create the demand for cheap, semi-disposable products. Joe blow walks into the store, he’s needs a screwdriver, one is .99 cents, the other $7, made in China, and USA respectively. Which one do you think he’s going for most of the time? Multiply this by millions of people, and products.. that is why “Made in China” is all around us.

It’s a misnomer that China is synonymous with inferiority, as you mentioned USA can/does create equally crappy products. I’ve heard from several sources that products manufactured for Chinas domestic use far exceed the quality of what gets shipped over here. Shareholders decide the quality of manufacture that we receive, China only makes it.

We want cheap, shareholders want more profits. The end result is a market bloated with semi disposable consumer goods that are manufactured over seas. Ironically Joe blow is Eating on his made in China TV tray, while sitting on his made in China couch, cheering at his made in China big screen TV when a politician is talking about how outsourcing jobs is bad for our economy.
    Last edited by Mmock4; 06-15-2018 at 10:59 PM.
    -Mark Smith

Miller Bobcat 250
    Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax215

Everlast PowerArc 210STL
    Hypertherm PowerMax45 Xp

Post Thanks / Like

I completely agree with you. China has the ability to make high quality "stuff". It's the chitty companies that do business here who dictate what they want, and how cheap it's made that's being brought here. This, predicated upon consumer demand. Again, my Makita tools are MIC, and yet they're fantastic, and I couldn't be happier. It's all the other crap that I get that disappoints me. Having parts fail on a truck that weighs 7000 lbs, un loaded, and the inability to buy quality replacement parts is extremely frustrating. Sometimes, I've bought what looked like high quality, made in usa parts, and they were counterfeit.

Where are they made. God only knows.

I will, however, admit. I do, specifically, look for chinese "dollar store" brands for one item every month.

Dog crap bags. They sell 80 bags for a dollar. With 4 dogs, I pick that up in little to no time. I guess I could buy a steel shovel, but the bags are just so convenient.

I'm part of the problem... yeah, I know.
    T man.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by T man View Post
    I completely agree with you.

I will, however, admit. I do, specifically, look for chinese "dollar store" brands for one item every month.

Dog crap bags. They sell 80 bags for a dollar. With 4 dogs, I pick that up in little to no time. I guess I could buy a steel shovel, but the bags are just so convenient.

I'm part of the problem... yeah, I know.
    We all are, the example you gave is exactly the reason why. Finding a shovel locally that is made in USA might be a challenge In Itself. Lol I am in no way implying that I’m not guilty either, let that be clear.

With Simple and convenient goods, how does it make any sense to the consumer to buy the same product at a higher price? The thing is, is that cheap and convenient has its place, but it has taken over, gone too far! Marketing, and products used to be based around a products quality, and longevity, society as a whole has shifted away from that though. So we’ve found ourselves here.. Bloated with cheap, disposable tools, fewer jobs, and less GDP.

You can’t escape it now, I don’t think you could live a modern life without paying something to China, much less the more general challenge of living without foreign made goods. Really makes you stop and think, just taking the look at the items in my room; all largely Chinese, Taiwan, and Japan. Items “Made in USA” are almost boutique now, like veganism, essential oils, etc. gives people a little ego boost, makes folks feel like they’re doing their part. But it’s like trying to fill in a hole with a spoon, while it’s simultaneously being dug out with a backhoe. Not that I am in anyway deriding those who choose to buy made in the USA, but until society as a whole is willing to make sacrifices(good luck in today’s age) and just outright don’t buy foreign made, we won’t be regaining industry any time soon. Nope, not even with tariffs.

I do hope one day this country has stronger industry, and that we do manufacture more products domestically, and that those products be of high quality, and decent affordability. I hope the American consumer will assume some responsibility for making their country great by paying those extra few dollars, instead of just nabbing the whatever cost least. I do hope for that. How, if, and when it happens? Who can say.
    -Mark Smith

Miller Bobcat 250
    Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax215

Everlast PowerArc 210STL
    Hypertherm PowerMax45 Xp

Post Thanks / Like

Chinese products flooding our market is the problem and so is the importers involved in flooding our country with the junk. Any one saying we can’t live without the cheap Chinese products because our economy won’t survive is just being ludicrous. That is like saying we have to depend on fossil fuels or our economy will collapse if we don’t have access to them. It’s all a bunch of Fearmongering set in place by corporations and central banking cartels. Oh wait now I sound crazy lol. The truth is out there.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 06-16-2018 at 01:46 AM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Bring the jobs back to Mexico, USA, And Cananda! North America unite!!!
    Millermatic 211
    Lincoln Invertec V275-S
    Hypertherm Powermax 30XP

Post Thanks / Like

Whn given the option I compare not only the price but the product specs. Upgrading the shop compressor and most popular small shop units seem to be either Ingersol Rand or Quincy. Both “homeowner” 5 HP units use offshore compressors. Thought I’d have to settle for buying something mostly made in the US until I looked at Champion. Never considered them as they were more expensive (about $500) but most of the major parts are manufacturered here.

Air delivery specs are higher, better standard warranty and a slower pump RPM encouraged me to pull the trigger on one. Since my budget was capped at around $1300, I stopped eating my fast food lunch and made my own to take and cut back on the beer. As a bonus I lost a little weight and should have a mostly Made in USA ���� compressor here by next week.
    Miller 350 Dynasty
    Miller Trailblazer
    Miller 625 Plasma
    Died and needs a new circuit board so its an expensive boat anchor now
    Lincoln Power MIG
    Victor oxy/acetylene
    Hyperthem 85

Post Thanks / Like

Me ?

I'm hoping that The President tarriff's the CRAP out of China. I'm beyond tired of buying a product, only to see the "made in china" garbage written on it. Maybe then, this country will begin producing products, formerly made in china, and put our people and factories back to work. YES prices will be higer for the products, but I would rather pay more for an American made product that potentially will last, and feed a family from HERE.

Does China have the ability to make quality products ? yes.

Do they, for the most part ? That would depend on whom they're producing the product for.

I have no idea, other than the fact when I have a MIC product, I cringe, because I feel as though I'm going to have to buy it again down the line.

Makita products are made in china and they are still high quality, and last forever. Not sure how long that will last though.

Yet...

Not everything made in America is good either.I purchased two boxes of "Sungold" sand paper for my MIC Makita orbital sander. I had been using Bosch, but I wanted something a little more aggressive grit. Bought the Sungold hook and loop discs. The WORST sandpaper I've ever purchased. By far. The discs don't last 10 minutes. The bosch discs ? They not only last until the sandpaper is shot, but you can take them off the sander, and put them back on again. The Sungold "loop" backing separates itself from the paper disc, and the disc flies off the sander during use. The LOOP side material disconnects, and stays on the sander.

I tried lowering the speed, but it had no effect. They still separate and fall off.

I sent the company a complaining email, and they made NO response back.

I will NEVER buy from that "made in AMERICA" company again.
    were they really made in America or just rebranded chinese crap, that is another trick sellers are using, packaged in USA, assembled in USA but not MADE in the USA....I also looked at some farm equipment " made in the USA" and the welding looks like crap compared to some made in china stuff..so its correct to say china can make some good stuff if you want to ay for it or it is specked by the company having it made in china...

Post Thanks / Like

Call me an isolationist....

Close all incoming, third world imports. ... Temporarily.

Foorce equal tarrifs.

Promote trade between North and South America.

Incentify new production facilities, through tax breaks in USA firms

The demand will create new opportunities, jobs, productivity, and economic growth not seen since,the,1950's.

Prosperity will change this,country for the better for everyone.
    T man.

Post Thanks / Like

Call me an isolationist....

Close all incoming, third world imports. ... Temporarily.

Foorce equal tarrifs.

Promote trade between North and South America.

Incentify new production facilities, through tax breaks in USA firms

The demand will create new opportunities, jobs, productivity, and economic growth not seen since,the,1950's.

Prosperity will change this,country for the better for everyone.
    agreed, but that wasnt the agenda of odummer and the government, it was to make Americans poor and dependent on the government to exist..much easier to control a population that has no money and cant stand on their 2 feet, not so with Trump, he is slowly changing the way, but having to battle every career long politician to make any head way...

Post Thanks / Like

Insurance is one of the other big scams. Way to expensive especially workers comp insurance. Put a cap on things like that so companies can afford to run a business.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    agreed, but that wasnt the agenda of odummer and the government, it was to make Americans poor and dependent on the government to exist..much easier to control a population that has no money and cant stand on their 2 feet, not so with Trump, he is slowly changing the way, but having to battle every career long politician to make any head way...
    Stop speaking the truth!

It may get around...
    T man.

Post Thanks / Like

Stop speaking the truth!

It may get around...
    My self most tools are made in USA
    I three are made China the first was a trade . The other two was less than $300.00 Total.
    At time all my tools was USA
    Today I am low on money

Dave

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

Post Thanks / Like

Another example of "china steel".

Bought these for my pickup, less than 3 years ago. The metal is rotting from the inside out. Even though I primed and painted them, they're peeling like onions.

Stopped by the powder coating company today, regarding another product I'm having powder coated. Discussed the drums with the owner of the company.. His words were as follows:

"Don't bring them here, as even if I do the best powder coating job EVER, the drums will rot from the inside out. Nothing you can do about it, other than buy US made drums."

Well, my truck is so old, I can't get the drums anymore. I'm forced to buy junkyard drums, or offshore drums.

Looks as though I'll be buying drums every few years.

GO TRUMP ! Stop that crap from coming into this country, and we'll be forced to make, or buy better stuff.
    About 5 years ago I had a rotor split in half. i was towing a 14k 5th wheel down a hill. The front half of the rotor split from the back half. They had been on my truck about 4 years. They were made in china. When I got it to a repair shop a few miles down the road I told the guy I wanted USA made rotors. About an hr latter he comes up to me and says, I can't find any USA made rotors unless you want to wait 3 days for them to get here. I told him to put what he could find on it.
    @ years later I took it in to have new brakes put on and I called the guy a week ahead of time to get some USA made rotors in for it.

Post Thanks / Like

The worms are out of the can boys.

There are people like us that see value in the quality American made consumer goods, and then there are the rest that don’t give a rat’s anus. Those people are responsible for both the poor quality, and immense quantity of foreign made junk. We focus our minds on tools, because we’re on a welding forum of course. But the vast majority of the masses don’t know, and/or care where their products come from, as long as it’s cheaper than the other brand on the shelf. Again not just tools, but literally almost every consumer product category.

A ban on foreign product imports would never work, people would never allow it. They know, and have become accustomed to the cheap, convenient goods they’ve been buying for years.

Again, we broadcast this problem too much on government, politics, anything but ourselves the American populace. It is this way because the majority of people like and want it this way. Cheap allows people to have more, and people like more. Just look at how bananas people go over black Friday sales, holiday decorations, etc.

It’s simple, The American public wants cheap goods, America can’t produce goods cheaply enough to satisfy its own demands, so we shamelessly have it done elsewhere that can.(China) Companies are outsourcing because they can’t compete, your brand either dies, or meets the price point. This Results in dimished quality(Craftsman, Black & Decker, Etc.) And the primary consumers don’t care/notice. It’s easy to blame the companies, but again its us. Thousands of people will be giving dad tool sets, drills, saws, whatever tommorow for Father’s Day. Most of those Fathers will never use those tools enough to make them fail.

Back to the Original point, on the consumer end, you’re very unlikely to see any mentionable impact as a direct result of the tariffs when purchasing products from Harbor Freight tools.
    -Mark Smith

Miller Bobcat 250
    Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax215

Everlast PowerArc 210STL
    Hypertherm PowerMax45 Xp

Post Thanks / Like

We will find the next cheapest place to manufacture. Africa is the last frontier of developing nations, which is why China has been investing there like crazy.

I'm old enough to remember the mid-1960's when we complained about the crap getting imported from West Germany and Japan. My grandfather repaired watches as a side business and would never repair a Timex watch, said they were throwaway junk. Sound familiar? Of course the fact he was on a Navy ship in the Pacific during WWII didn't help his opinion. I used to ride motorcycles and the steel in early (late 60's - early 70's ) Japanese sport bikes was crap, the frames would flex like crazy if you tried to do anything but go straight. For the last 30 years Japan has dominated sport bike industry.

In the 80's we worried about Japan taking over the world, their bubble collapsed in early 90's and they've been trying to dig out ever since.

The Chinese economic "miracle" is already started to collapse as their one child per family (OCPF) catches up with them. Their working population is rapidly aging, which is why after almost 40 years they rescinded OCPF. Yet they can't convince their current population to produce more children because their people seen the benefit to small families, allowing parents to dote on a single child.

The US is resilient, we will come out just fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaiIchi View Post
    We will find the next cheapest place to manufacture. Africa is the last frontier of developing nations, which is why China has been investing there like crazy.

I'm old enough to remember the mid-1960's when we complained about the crap getting imported from West Germany and Japan. My grandfather repaired watches as a side business and would never repair a Timex watch, said they were throwaway junk. Sound familiar? Of course the fact he was on a Navy ship in the Pacific during WWII didn't help his opinion. I used to ride motorcycles and the steel in early (late 60's - early 70's ) Japanese sport bikes was crap, the frames would flex like crazy if you tried to do anything but go straight. For the last 30 years Japan has dominated sport bike industry.

In the 80's we worried about Japan taking over the world, their bubble collapsed in early 90's and they've been trying to dig out ever since.

The Chinese economic "miracle" is already started to collapse as their one child per family (OCPF) catches up with them. Their working population is rapidly aging, which is why after almost 40 years they rescinded OCPF. Yet they can't convince their current population to produce more children because their people seen the benefit to small families, allowing parents to dote on a single child.

The US is resilient, we will come out just fine.
    economies cycle around, the USA is about to grow fast in manufacturing, with technology and automation we will be able to produce a high quality product at a reasonable cost, just getting the kick in the a$$ to do it is slow and a hard push, but I believe Trump will get it done and the population once they see some results if not already will come around, but the media bashing is hindering all of Trumps efforts, just imagine how fast and hard the USA would rise to the top if the media embraced Trump instead of the world globalists calling the shots....to take down the USA..each day a few more people are seeing the light, as any movement forward is good we will eventually get there..hopefully...and the countries like china that pump out the cheap stuff will be in our place soon enough as their economies grow and other 3rd world countries build up and take over what china has done, sending china in a downward spiral....

Post Thanks / Like

I saw on new round of TARIFF (AKA TAXES)
    Any see increase on tools

Post Thanks / Like

Guess what, if this economy kept crawling along the way it did under the last administration, it would be just a matter of time before we wouldn't even be able to afford the crappy Chinese tools, then what?

CR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrookedRoads View Post
    Guess what, if this economy kept crawling along the way it did under the last administration, it would be just a matter of time before we wouldn't even be able to afford the crappy Chinese tools, then what?
    Huh? Obama was sworn in on January 20 2009. Following Republican Bush's disasterous final years. See that climb from January 2009? If we claim a President is accountable for the economy I would say he did ok. That chart could have just as well continued down if he did nothing. Sounds like you've been watching Fox Propaganda News!

Name:  us-economic-growth.png
Views: 1579
Size:  71.3 KB
    * Amico MIG-130A Flux, Dual Voltage. Truly portable!
    * HF MIG-180 with all the mods. Heavy.
    * Grizzly H8153 Stick/Tig 130/160.
    * Wards PowrKraft AC-230. Stick & carbon arc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    Huh? Obama was sworn in on January 20 2009. Following Republican Bush's disasterous final years. See that climb from January 2009? If we claim a President is accountable for the economy I would say he did ok. That chart could have just as well continued down if he did nothing. Sounds like you've been watching Fox Propaganda News!

Name:  us-economic-growth.png
Views: 1579
Size:  71.3 KB
    No I don't watch any of the propaganda news including CNN, but your right about Bush, I should have said the last 3 administrations.
    And I'm fair and balanced, I hate all politicians equally.
    Last edited by CrookedRoads; 08-24-2018 at 07:22 AM.

CR

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist