+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ?? 350 XMT owner/operators ??

Post Thanks / Like

?? 350 XMT owner/operators ??

Those of you, who have or use Miller 350 XMT, how often, or what seems to make your cooling fan kick on? If your fan kicks on when machine is at idle (on, but long periods of not welding), please describe how often between intervals of off/on, etc., and whether or not outside temp seems to play much of a factor. Also, does mode/process setting make a diff, or how heavy/length time of welding plays into it. I tried to talk to miller about this, who, in my experience, are usually pretty helpful in these matters, but Tony, in the troubleshooting dept., wants to play mickey mouse/stupid. I think my machine is about an '07.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ?? 350 XMT owner/operators ??

I have a 304 of about the same vintage. The fan comes on after about 15 minutes whether I'm welding or not, and cycles about 5 min on then 5 min off. It keeps cycling the same regardless of use, though I haven't ever pushed it hard enough to find out if it will run more.

The wheat fields of Kansas,in a large metal building
    Post Thanks / Like

I have an 09 XMT450, unless I am welding at high voltage and amps the fan rarely comes on even in hot weather.
    Steve from SoCal now in Hutch

Miller Dynasty 300DX Coolmate3 Speedway Torch
    Miller XMT 450 MPa plus with D-74 MPa Plus
    Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    And a whole bunch of machines

Post Thanks / Like

The fan in my 2006 vintage XMT 350 CC/CV has only switched on when I'm stick welding 3/4" steel. It has never come on when mig welding 1/4" material or when tigging. Fan has never come on when just idling, even for long periods. Admittedly, I don't push the machine hard, but the hardest I've used it is during SMAW.

If you don't mind me inquiring, why are you asking?
    Scott

Miller XMT 350 CC/CV w/gas solenoid opt.
    Miller S-22A wirefeeder
    Bernard 400A "Q" gun
    Miller Spoolmatic 30A / WC-24
    C-K 200A torch/gas lens
    Weldcraft WC-18 watercooled torch
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    Victor O/A

Post Thanks / Like

I have an xmt 304. The fan runs more often on CC than CV.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a brand new XMT 350 and when I use a spoolgun on mig the fan never comes on....using stick it come on always after 5 - 10 minutes. Sitting doing nothing...fan cycles thru every 5 minutes or so. perfectly normal.

Post Thanks / Like

wow, i didnt expect thses answers so quick/easy. gtermini, you've described almost exactly what mine does, except i'd say 8 min on, 15 min off. close enough though, thank you. and i think the breaks are longer, if i weld in b/t, which don't make sense to the common mind. thanks steve from so. cal. now, Dmaxer, i ran 3/16 smaw at just above 200 amps, before, it didnt cause fan, but fan does kick on as i, and gtermini desriber in stick and cv voltage sensing mode, WHEN IDLING. i cant comment on tig, as i hardly use it for that, or dont take notice. and thank you for asking why, so nicely. thank you MJD, as all your responses help. now hershey, ( i got to treat u as suspicious, as you just popped up today, and your getting right to the point in such short words, as i told tony, i'd be putting this on the internet, and a supervisor, that it would be going on the welding web, so, two things, 1. what you say, in such short words, gets right to the point, of my exchange w/ miller today, as its a big part of the puzzle in my head (my fan kicks on at idle in cv sensing mode, stick mode, and never had a full fledged feeder hooked to it in mig mode other than the spool gun, and it dont come on then. 2. , you just joined/first post, w/ key answer, in such short words. if it's just a coincidence/ironic, my appologies, but all i wanted today was some sensible answers, as i think i bought enough miiler products to deserve so, and was given the run around. i feel the weld webs help, certainly has answered more than millers trouble shooting dept today

Post Thanks / Like

No worries mate, I never bothered to join the forum just lurked around but saw your post and when I got my XMT a few months ago wondered the same thing.
    Go over to the Miller site, go to their forum and type 'XMT fan' into the search box....all will be revealed.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist