Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New welding Table

Post Thanks / Like

New welding Table

Hi guys.

Just wanted to share pics of my new table. I've perused various welding table threads across the internet and came up with a design that suited me best.

I've had a 1x1.5m table for a few years, with 15mm plate on top. but its just too small. And not flat enough. (I didn't make it lol)

So a slow build thread, starting with some 100x100x5 hollow section:

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New welding Table

Post Thanks / Like

Wow!Good job!

Post Thanks / Like

That’s a really nice looking saw! And nice heavy duty table. What’s a bandsaw like that go for?

Post Thanks / Like

1.25 x 2.5m plate, 20mm thick.

levelled up at the ends with jacks, so I had a flat surface to make the frame on.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a bit over enthusiastic with the welder in spray mode, and put way too much heat into the centre legs. So as a result the table was bowed upwards by around 5mm both sides.

I took the oxy actylene set to it, warmed it nicely, and was rewarded by 1mm downwards one side, and almost perfect on the other side, when measued with a stringline.

This means I can put the minimum shimming required to get the top flat.

Post Thanks / Like

Those center legs will get you every time. Nice save !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    That’s a really nice looking saw! And nice heavy duty table. What’s a bandsaw like that go for?
    thanks

I got the saw a couple of years ago in well used condition from a debt recovery agency for £600. It needed a bit of fettling to run right again, but it's fantastic... power up/down, auto up return, 2 speed motor, coolant feed... the cuts are very accurate, even on mitre angles (I can cut slices of box section down to a couple mm thick and they are still parallel!!)

only downside is the stock roller at the side next to the vice is very weak and underspecced. I'll upgrade it at some point soon when I'm making roller trestle stands for it. I'm limited with it since it needs to move about from place to place, so I can't just fix it in place. this means trestles etc will be to move and height-set every time. I made the castors frame underneath it for that reason.
    Last edited by Munkul; 08-01-2018 at 03:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

drilled, tapped and fitted castors to the ends, for easy moving. Considering it will weight 800kg+, if it's to move I dont want to have to use a telehandler every time!

last night, I got some 100 x 100 grid patterns plotted out on A0 size paper. Fitted to the plate centre, checked a few times, and then every grid intersection was centre-punched.

Removed the paper, and now quite a bit of drilling work to do! Glad i have a nice new Rotabroach with built-in coolant feed

Post Thanks / Like

Subscribed
    T man.

15 + years working for myself, and by golly, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice ,have fun drilling

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool, nicely done.

Can I have that Nürburgring poster? PLeeeease

Post Thanks / Like

I have two of those Nurburgring cloth posters... bought whilst at the Nurburgring on separate occasions! I'm a bit of a fan.

So, I bought some clamps. and some round bar stock. Like this,

Took the grinder to them immediately...

...and welded the 16mm round stub on the end instead.

Ended up with three nice new inserta-clamps on the cheap. the Eclipse clamps are ok quality, made of real steel no pot metal, but the wooden handles a a bit crap, i accidentally broke one straight away.

Perfect fit on the first row of holes. Sliding fit. And with the friction available through the 20mm depth, I can put as much force as the clamps will take. I'll be making quite a few more of these, but go bigger with the next batch!

First row of holes...

less than 0.5mm straight, which to be fair is as good as I can ever get with a centre punch and a magdrill. If I had access to a huge jig borer, it might have been **** on... but we can't have everything, I suppose!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks awesome, great job!!
    Pete

ESAB SVI300
    ESAB MIG 4 HD
    MILLER PASSPORT 180
    MILLER DYNASTY 300DX
    MILLER COOLMATE 4
    MILLER 30A
    MILLER SPECTRUM 2050
    C&K WF-3
    PrimeWeld Tig 225X

Post Thanks / Like

They're cloth and you have two Lucky dog . That must've been a fun trip.

Clamps came out great.

Lay out is spot on my friend, nicely done.

Post Thanks / Like

That table is done right ! I did one for a guy about 10 years back and used an offset layout every other row, like this ( red dots)
    Name:  tabble.jpg
Views: 1224
Size:  77.5 KB
    Last edited by Bonzoo; 08-02-2018 at 10:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

So I did quite a few holes... got very sick of kneeling down. So drilled the fastening holes in the top, 5 off M12 threaded holes, and in the frame to suit.

I then made a lifting spreader plate.

So that I could lift it...

...and accurately position it. Also make it easy for shimming flat when the time comes.

This shows the blind spot...

I made a slight error in judgement when I worked out the frame and top spacing. I wanted no blind spots for clamping at all. So I will probably drill another row of holes all the way around the outside, on top of the box frame.

So now the top is on the frame, no more kneeling down, and I can drill the remaining 200 holes in comfort!

reflecting on the usefulness of the holes, being accurately spaced makes them much more useful for stops and squares than the table edges will ever be. So the extra row of holes around the outside, although they will look a bit ugly with the box frame directly underneath, they will be very worthwhile.
    Last edited by Munkul; 08-06-2018 at 05:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice bit of work.

I wouldn't worry about the blind spot between the clamps. That little gap will never be a realistic problem, but if you drill holes that bottom out on the box frame, those holes will quickly fill with grime, scale, mud dauber nests, etc. I have to constantly deal with that issue on a jig table of mine, and it sucks. Sure, you can blow the crud out of the holes, but that's about as much fun as you imagine it sounds to be.

Keep with the pattern you laid out and enjoy the table. It'll work fine for everything you hope to build on it. Promise.

Post Thanks / Like

So, got a bit more done...

getting there with the holes

Finished the drilling finally! This was the swarf bucket.

Usually I subscribe to the theory of keeping millscale on a table to protect it from rust and spatter. But the millscale on my plate was so feeble that it wasnt going to last long. So decided to sand it down and keep it oiled. Looks better anyways.
    So I got the boys in to help degrease, clean and sand.

I like this shot

Degreased the frame and painted with etch primer. Initially coated with brush but it was taking forever and it was lying badly, so ended up finishing it off with my spray gun.

I'd forgotten how much easier painting is with a spraygun! So I thinned the topcoat with turps and sprayed that, as well. Guess what? I like bright shiny things, and I haven't used green very much in any of my projects.

So far, only single coat to the bottom half - I'll get a full two coats over the top and bottom this week, weather permitting. (I dont like spraying inside my shop)
    Last edited by Munkul; 08-13-2018 at 03:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Sweet work!

Sign says "beware of dogs"

What's ya got ? Killer Yorkshire Terriers?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by T man; 08-13-2018 at 09:22 AM.
    T man.

15 + years working for myself, and by golly, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice table!
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by T man View Post
    Wow! Sweet work!

Sign says "beware of dogs"

What's ya got ? Killer Yorkshire Terriers?
    hah, yeah we have border collies for sheep and cow herding. They make good guard dogs too, at least good at barking.

Post Thanks / Like

Love it. Some day I hope
    Dave Reber
    Wadsworth Ohio

Post Thanks / Like

So I got the painting done. And castors and feet installed

Time to rip out the old small table - now my brother's, for small farm jobs

Levelled the table roughly at first

The pic doesnt show very well, but we spent about 3 hours inserting packing shims (0.3mm thickness) between the plate and the frame, to get it snug against the frame and also flat to less than 0.5mm. Most of it is less than .3mm and that's due to the surface finish of the hot rolled steel. Using flex up and down to get it as close as we could to perfect. Next time (if there is a next time) I think I'll use more holding bolts around the frame - it will make this stage easier!

Finished article!

I made a few more clamps and stops up. I'll be adding to this a few more bits and bobs. Next will be some sliding adjustable stops.

So... next will be a shelf. I need somewhere to put all my TIG filler rods, clamps, my spares box, etc. I pre-drilled holes on the inside of the box legs so all I need to do is tap them and make brackets to suit.
    Last edited by Munkul; 08-20-2018 at 03:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Well done.