+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MIG gas question

Post Thanks / Like

MIG gas question

I have googled, and read the stickys but I can't seem to find a clear answer, and am still confused. I would like to add a gas to my arsenal. I currently have CO2, C25, and pure argon. I am not changing or getting rid of any of these. But I would like to add a gas that can hopefully do two things (because I REALLY don't want to go get two more gasses): I would like to find one gas that will let me spray transfer on mild steel AND work for stainless (in whatever mode). Seems like if I use anything other than a helium trimix for stainless there is a risk of corrosion and or discoloration? Is there a gas that would fit my needs?
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Re: MIG gas question

Or am I just better off getting something like a 98/2 for spray, and just stick to TIG welding stainless?
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

98-2 will work for spray arc on stainless. Personally I would get tri mix and skip the spray for steel. If you get into heavier steel, use dual shield and co2 or 75-25 , whichever your wire calls for, most can use either.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I am set up for dual shield already. I like it a lot. The reason I was asking is I have a buddy asking me to work on some stainless exhaust pipes for him, and I was toying with the idea of using the MIG instead of the TIG. And if there is a gas that I can get that also let's me play with spray on mild steel, then it is a win win for me.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    Yeah I am set up for dual shield already. I like it a lot. The reason I was asking is I have a buddy asking me to work on some stainless exhaust pipes for him, and I was toying with the idea of using the MIG instead of the TIG. And if there is a gas that I can get that also let's me play with spray on mild steel, then it is a win win for me.
    Order up some Blue Demon flux core stainless.HTP/USA welds is selling the same wire with their sticker. You're gonna love it and no better place to start than under the car on that exhaust, right ? It lays down similar to electrode.I had posted some oven drips I made a couple years ago when they fist brought it out It was 035 with LITTLE MIG LIKE TIG- BZTT BZZZT BZZT

Post Thanks / Like

That's pretty cool, I didn't know that exists. Thanks Bonzoo.
    Miller Multimatic 255

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist