+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Plasma cutter question

Post Thanks / Like

Plasma cutter question

I have been researching plasma cutters ahead of ordering one for my birthday. I downloaded and read from front to back, the manuals for the Hypertherm powermax 45XP and the Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 60i. I get that Hypertherm has a patented drag cutting system and consumables that are different than the consumable setup on the Thermal Dynamics machine. The TD will do drag cutting but only up to 3/16 inch, and you must use a non conductive straight edge. Otherwise the Thermal dynamics machine really wants stand off cutting. The Hypertherm manual on the other hand seems to imply that drag cutting is preferred or even almost required except for gouging. Hypertherm doesn't seem to require the non-conductive straight edge either. Specific to the torches and the consumables (leaving the power supplies out of it for the moment), what are the other pros and cons of each system besides drag cutting ability?
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Plasma cutter question

Possibly the marking and gouging features? Did you read the manual for the TD cutter?
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

yes, I read both. The marking does seem to be found only on the Hypertherm. But I guess I was wondering if there were differences in cut quality, ability to be used in a CNC table, longevity of the consumables, or anything else related to how the machines are used. I don't know what I don't know, so its hard to pose the right question.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Drag cut ability. Non conductive guide ? Thats just stupid.My guide is generally a stick of 1/8 x 2 cold roll. I can cut 3/8 steel almost like a laser did it. The PM 45 is the biggest selling on the planet. There's a reason for that. I cut some 5/8 the other day freehand and got a pretty decent(but slow) cut. My 65 eats 3/4 for lunch.

Post Thanks / Like

For cutting steel with O&A torch, or plasma I use this.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

Carl did you make that?
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know where you are getting the non conductive guide stuff. I didn't have any issues using metal guides with my TD81. It also has shielded tips/ standoff to drag at full power.

That said, hypertherm is King.
    My name's not Jim....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    Carl did you make that?
    It is a magnetic burning square. All I did was add the aluminum angle, so the plasma torch will ride on the edge better.
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know where you are getting the non conductive guide stuff.
    From reading the Cutmaster 60i operators manual:

Name:  warning.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  50.7 KB
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered and received a miller 252 and Hypertherm 45xp. The Hypertherm is awesome and I love being able to drag it. Makes it easier to get better cuts vs free hand.

Brett

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    From reading the Cutmaster 60i operators manual:

Name:  warning.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  50.7 KB
    You can probably thank a lawyer rather than an engineer for that.
    My name's not Jim....

Post Thanks / Like

The conductive ,and non conductive guide matters in how you configure your torch.. If a exposed nozzle touches a non-condutive guide it can arc to it a bit.

The 9-8237 cup, and 9-8244 (40 amp drag shield) 9-8235 (50/60 drag shield) is totally shielded, and will not conduct the arc..Manual is wrong...
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Viking 250 mig/2410 feeder
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

I hope Jim Colt chimes in. Is drag cutting ability the only real difference between these two units?
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

There is no real difference in drag cutting.. There is difference in how you set them up for drag cutting. That is probably where those two machines will be the most similar..I have used every last layout the Thermal have with the one torch on every machine but the 60i.. Have the 45XP with every setup but the flush cuts.. Here is the deal, the 45XP will be best for most users hands down.. Just too many options on torches/consumables.. I would guess on 1 inch, and above the 60I will show it's stuff,but mostly on a cnc table. (for very limited use)The higher cut height, and longer arc length will start showing some actual advantages..(IMO) Unless you have years of experience using the Thermal,you are miles ahead getting a Hypertherm. I will be getting a 60 i down the road, but not selling the 45XP because of all the things it does right..
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Viking 250 mig/2410 feeder
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

They will both do the same job. But it takes 60 amps for the 60I to do what the 45XP can do at 45 amps.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

Post Thanks / Like

If the plasma torch is equipped with shielded consumables (T-D or Hypertherm) you can drag cut with either using a conductive (metal) guide or template. The shield electrically isolates the front end of the torch so no arcing or "stiction" (the nozzle trying to weld itself to the material or guide)occurs. I suspect the illustration stating the need for a non conductive guide was placed there by a tech writer (that wrote the manual) with little practical hands on cutting time!

The difference between the Hypertherm shield technology is a patent called "conical flow". This uses the conical shape of the lower exterior of the nozzle along with the interior shape of the shield and uses the secondary cooling shield air flow to inject radially around the plasma arc as it exits the nozzle orifice. This increases the energy density of the arc and increases nozzle orifice cooling. Squarer cuts at lower power levels along with longer nozzle life are the result. This process is with the 45, 65, 85 and 105 amp shielded consumables used on the various Powermax units, however the Finecut consumables do not use conical flow. (they do have a shield for drag cutting though).

For CNC use the 45 XP should be ordered with a machine torch....units shipped with the machine torch will have a rear panel CPC interface port installed from the factory.....this has the start, arc transfer and analog DC voltage outputs that work on most CNC tables. If you have a Powermax45XP that was shipped with a hand torch only....it will not have the CPC port, however there is a field upgrade kit to add it if you are going to use a machine torch on a CNC table (or track burner, pipe cutter, robot, etc.). The hand torch will only fire from its trigger switch, the machine torch will only fire from the CPC port for safety reasons on the Powermax units.

I have a Powermax45, 45XP, 65 and 85 in my home shop and currently 1 CNC table. The 45XP stays on my CNC table for 95% of the cutting I do (low volume hobby shop use on material from thin gauge to 1" typically). I use the 45XP up through 5/8" on the cnc, if I need to cut thicker I simply swap either the 65 or the 85 (same torch as the 45XP, same interface....so it only takes a couple of minutes to switch from one to another).

The plasma marking function on the 45XP uses a special marking nozzle (lower velocity arc for less aggressive marking) at between 10 to 15 amps output and with the mode switch set in the Marking / gouging mode (so the air flow/pressure is set correct for marking). You can use argon for the best marks or air for good marking at higher speeds. This will not replace a pneumatic scribe marker, rather, plasma marking is great for plate layout, definition lines on artwork, center punching for hole locations for drilling or punching. Alpha numeric lettering can be done, but the smallest letters with good mark quality will typically be 3/8" or taller (here is where a scribe can be more accurate).

Did I mention the 45XP is designed and built here in the U.S. by employees that own 100% of the company (no investors to send our hard earned profits to.....we can use them for developing newer, better products and to support our own employees at retirement time!)

Jim Colt

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jim.
    Miller Multimatic 255

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist