Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Electrocution while welding

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Electrocution while welding

Quote Originally Posted by E T View Post
    In the USA or worldwide?
    If You look at what they get up to in third world countries like connecting wires to live power lines to do some stick welding in flip flops, shorts, t-shirt I can understand that number.
    Hey now !
    Flip flops are ok and Croks are NOSHA approved.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ttoks View Post
    Perhaps it just due to my age, or maybe because it hasn't happened in Australia for a LONG time, but i've never heard of a welder dying from electric shock
    I've never heard of a welder being electrocuted, either. On the other hand, a friend who was a commercial fisherman got killed on the job a few years back. Yet according to their numbers, we should all know of a welder who was killed, even if we don't know of any loggers or fishermen who were killed.

How many pro welders are there in the U.S.? If we're killing them at the rate of 1000 per year, you would think we would have run out of them by now.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Miller 330 A/BP
    Miller Big Blue 251D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    I've never heard of a welder being electrocuted, either. On the other hand, a friend who was a commercial fisherman got killed on the job a few years back. Yet according to their numbers, we should all know of a welder who was killed, even if we don't know of any loggers or fishermen who were killed.

How many pro welders are there in the U.S.? If we're killing them at the rate of 1000 per year, you would think we would have run out of them by now.
    TRUE! Hey Bonzoo, is NOSHA stand for NOTOSHA????
    IMPEACH BIDEN!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD HELP AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Post Thanks / Like

These numbers no doubt came from the insurance industry, those idiots don't care about the little details they just classify any yahoo that picks up a stinger as a welder. Some laborer cuts off a piece of rebar and starts a fire and the headline will say - Spark from welders torch burns down chemical plant - then you wonder why your insurance is so high.

CR

Post Thanks / Like

Little thing you kids probably don't know and should if you go messin around with machines made before 1970±.
    Before the all protective OSHA got about protecting stupid people from welding machines the Open Circuit Voltage from transformer machines was a hell of a lot higher.

Older Lincolns such as the "toumbstone" with the steel selector switch generally run over 65 volts. Other machines of that era have similar high voltages.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Virgil, my old Hobart portable runs at 70 OCV. I've been bit quite a few times over the years welding with 7018 in the rain. It's just enough to get my attention and remember to lay the next rod down on a horizontal surface and pick it up with the stinger. Seems some folks are more sensitive to electricity than others.
    As for the tide pods, I just read on the news the kids now have a new you tube challenge wherein they pour rubbing alcohol all over their body and light it. Showed a pic of a teen girl laying in a hospital bed looking like a mummy. It said she'd be in the hospital for several months. Another you tube challenge is someone pouring boiling water over someone else. Are these kids the ones that will someday run our country????
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    Little thing you kids probably don't know and should if you go messin around with machines made before 1970±.
    Before the all protective OSHA got about protecting stupid people from welding machines the Open Circuit Voltage from transformer machines was a hell of a lot higher.

Older Lincolns such as the "toumbstone" with the steel selector switch generally run over 65 volts. Other machines of that era have similar high voltages.
    True, anything over 50V AC could be potentially lethal. That why most if not all modern cheap AC transformers have 48V OCV.
    Where I live a lot of older AC transformers have two settings. 1 for rutile electrodes at 48ish OCV and one for basic electrodes (7018) at 70/72 OCV.
    That 70V AC OCV can be fatal.
    Fronius Transpocket 180
    Kemppi minarc 150
    Esab powercut 400

Post Thanks / Like

I can't see it unless they were welding near powelines. I too welded in and snow and am still here. You will get a Zap grabbing a stick rod with wet glove. All part of the experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    I can't see it unless they were welding near powelines. I too welded in and snow and am still here. You will get a Zap grabbing a stick rod with wet glove. All part of the experience.
    Being a Floridastanian by gender I can relate to that ! Makes your earz wiggle !

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to read the article. Do you have a link or where we can find it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
    Yeah, Virgil, my old Hobart portable runs at 70 OCV. I've been bit quite a few times over the years welding with 7018 in the rain. It's just enough to get my attention and remember to lay the next rod down on a horizontal surface and pick it up with the stinger. Seems some folks are more sensitive to electricity than others.
    As for the tide pods, I just read on the news the kids now have a new you tube challenge wherein they pour rubbing alcohol all over their body and light it. Showed a pic of a teen girl laying in a hospital bed looking like a mummy. It said she'd be in the hospital for several months. Another you tube challenge is someone pouring boiling water over someone else. Are these kids the ones that will someday run our country????
    Mike

Just the survivors Mike...
    Hobart Handler 190 w/spool gun
    Lincoln Ranger 8

Post Thanks / Like

I would be really shocked!!! if that number was for the US only... I mean pretty soon they'll have to ban welders...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Denis G View Post
    I'd like to read the article. Do you have a link or where we can find it?
    http://weldguru.com/avoiding-electric-shock-welding/
    i don't know if it will work but give it a try.
    IMPEACH BIDEN!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

GOD HELP AMERICA!
    RONALD REAGAN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    It may not be electrocution from the welding equipment. We had a "pesticide" death here that as it turned out was a guy sterilizing a chicken house between batches. The chicken house has a large trap door to push the manure though from the upper floors down to where it can be removed. He had the trap door open and was backing up spraying when he stepped off the edge and fell 3 floors to the concrete but it was a pesticide related death because he was spraying.
    Sounds like some sort of gubberment reasoning there....
    T man.

15 + years working for myself, and by golly, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
    Does trying to arc weld yourself too a train count.
    Wow ! Did you see the smoke come out of his hoo ha ? That was frightening.

Probably smelled like chicken cooking, I would assume.
    T man.

15 + years working for myself, and by golly, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

Post Thanks / Like

I really doubt that that number is even good for all trades combined.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Post Thanks / Like

So according to the OSHA website in 2016 there were 5,190 work related deaths. I doubt that of that there were 1000 welders killed on the job.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by T man View Post
    Wow ! Did you see the smoke come out of his hoo ha ? That was frightening.

Probably smelled like chicken cooking, I would assume.
    Curry chicken.

Post Thanks / Like

if i read it in the times and i had corroborating evidence i might believe it. if it was in the enquirer maybe not. i always consider the source of my intel.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

From the other article referenced in the above link : Flawed equipment and low safety consciousness, sadly, ensures that many do. Around 1,000 people are electrocuted (die from electric shocks) annually in the United States alone. Death apart, electric shocks can result in numerous debilitating disorders.

so they list a stat of electric shock deaths and the next guy sees the word 'welding' in there and makes it the subject.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by E T View Post
    True, anything over 50V AC could be potentially lethal. That why most if not all modern cheap AC transformers have 48V OCV.
    Where I live a lot of older AC transformers have two settings. 1 for rutile electrodes at 48ish OCV and one for basic electrodes (7018) at 70/72 OCV.
    That 70V AC OCV can be fatal.
    And I thought that it was amps that kill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    http://weldguru.com/avoiding-electric-shock-welding/
    i don't know if it will work but give it a try.
    The link works. The article is written by someone with an internet name "GARRETLST", so you can't identify who really wrote it or what sort of expertise he/she has. In the very first sentence, there is a link to the supposed claim of 1000 electrocution deaths from welding. It takes you to another article for "Kemplon Engineering" that claims that there are 1000 annual deaths from electrocution in the US without any other qualifications. Mr. GARRETLST seems to have introduced welding as the cause for these deaths out of thin air.

Just cursory fact-checking with Google, gets me an annual estimate of 411 electrocution deaths (workers - NIOSH), but number includes all causes, not just welding. Realistically, my guess is that welding contributes a very small fraction of a percent of those deaths.

But then a number so small would hardly merit any attention.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the guy puts out teaching sessions and I guess is trying to make money from his lessons, I bought one of his online packages several years ago just to see what they were, & now it's like a bad rash that wont go away. LOL His stuff was ok for the beginner , which I was pretty new to mig at the time.
    IMPEACH BIDEN!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

GOD HELP AMERICA!
    RONALD REAGAN

Post Thanks / Like

Was this in an article by the guy in Texas selling his welding courses. I read it there myself today and it sounds highly unlikely that many have been killed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by henry42 View Post
    And I thought that it was amps that kill
    Actually an electric shock at just the right moment in the relative refractory period of the heartbeat can send a person into sudden death rhythm(V-fib).

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250