Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Electrocution while welding

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Electrocution while welding

Quote Originally Posted by Fnord5 View Post
    Dumbest thing I've done with regards to welding...
    7018 rod, held in my armpit, in wet grass, misty rain, and I grabbed the rod with the stinger.

A bit more than a tingle, but obviously not enough to kill me.
    LOL!
    I thought I was the only one who has done this!
    After getting shocked on my glove, after laying the rod on my leg.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drujinin View Post
    LOL!
    I thought I was the only one who has done this!
    After getting shocked on my glove, after laying the rod on my leg.
    Yep, done the armpit thing a few times, then tried pinching them between my legs once!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Standing in water makes very little difference. It all depends on you becoming part of the current path between the welder work lead and the stinger.
    Mike
    I know there is a lot of jokes being made about this subject but a welding machine has more than enough potential to kill a person giving the right circumstances and it does happen. Mike is correct that standing in water makes no difference one way or another. It all has to do with the path the current takes from the stinger to the work lead. And if it happens to be across your heart it could be lights out.
    Owner of Fast Leroy's Bar and Grill
    Liquor up Front, Poker in the Rear

Post Thanks / Like

I do not of any that welded in rain or fog that has not had a little tingle
    But plugging in a welder that has 240 v or some time 480 v this will kill
    My self if raining or fog just do not welder
    Note: When first started I did welding in the rain and fog it just not worth getting electrocution

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    I just finished an article that claims that around 1000 welders die annually from electric shock while welding. What do y'all think on that one??
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

Post Thanks / Like

Was repairing a hole in my rowboat 2 summers ago where a dead branch speared through it over the winter. (not sure of amps as I was using pedal with 50A max set on welder) After a good bit of time welding and sweating I started feeling tingles in my arms that were leaning on the boat. Took me a couple minutes to figure out the sweaty sleeves on my welding coat/wet skin were conducting the electricity quite well. Definitely nowhere near as bad when i've grabbed 110v house plugs that I thought were off, based on load center labels, when going to change them.
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 211
    Lincoln X-Tractor 1GC
    Hypertherm Powermax 1000

Post Thanks / Like

Di you have gloves On???

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jay gill View Post
    Was repairing a hole in my rowboat 2 summers ago where a dead branch speared through it over the winter. (not sure of amps as I was using pedal with 50A max set on welder) After a good bit of time welding and sweating I started feeling tingles in my arms that were leaning on the boat. Took me a couple minutes to figure out the sweaty sleeves on my welding coat/wet skin were conducting the electricity quite well. Definitely nowhere near as bad when i've grabbed 110v house plugs that I thought were off, based on load center labels, when going to change them.

Post Thanks / Like

I was welding an excavator bucket one time on a drizzly day. I kept getting bit and I was thinking this sucks so I took a break. I dropped the stinger and the rod stuck in the muddy sod. When I came back about 15 minutes later there were worms dancing all over the place. I never saw so many worms in my life. None of the worms died

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    Di you have gloves On???

Dave
    I did. Those were pretty sweaty too. I changed those out first thinking they were the only problem. Not wanting a UV sunburn by taking off the welding jacket (and almost done and too lazy to go to the other end of the house and upstairs to get a new long sleeve T-shirt), I put down and used my stick welding gloves as resting pads.
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 211
    Lincoln X-Tractor 1GC
    Hypertherm Powermax 1000

Post Thanks / Like

I just finished an article that claims that around 1000 welders die annually from electric shock while welding. What do y'all think on that one??
    I've had 1000 shocks in one year, I'm alive. In youth, most projects were wet ground, metal workpiece on the ground, Each electrode change brought a shock. Healthy people survive shock when those in poor health don't. In the case of HF, I'd bet you need to be on the edge of dying to be harmed. Pacemaker users might be vulnerable.

Individuals tolerance for shock varies widely. A gorilla of a sheet rock delivery man might suffer terribly at 20 volts, while a computer geek might tolerate 240 barely noticing. Or it might be the other way around. I guess it is about hydration levels, or electrolytes in your system, (salt). Seems to have little correlation to pain tolerance.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joethemechanic View Post
    I was welding an excavator bucket one time on a drizzly day. I kept getting bit and I was thinking this sucks so I took a break. I dropped the stinger and the rod stuck in the muddy sod. When I came back about 15 minutes later there were worms dancing all over the place. I never saw so many worms in my life. None of the worms died

Nightcrawlers!

Post Thanks / Like

Ok

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jay gill View Post
    I did. Those were pretty sweaty too. I changed those out first thinking they were the only problem. Not wanting a UV sunburn by taking off the welding jacket (and almost done and too lazy to go to the other end of the house and upstairs to get a new long sleeve T-shirt), I put down and used my stick welding gloves as resting pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    I've had 1000 shocks in one year, I'm alive. In youth, most projects were wet ground, metal workpiece on the ground, Each electrode change brought a shock. Healthy people survive shock when those in poor health don't. In the case of HF, I'd bet you need to be on the edge of dying to be harmed. Pacemaker users might be vulnerable.

Individuals tolerance for shock varies widely. A gorilla of a sheet rock delivery man might suffer terribly at 20 volts, while a computer geek might tolerate 240 barely noticing. Or it might be the other way around. I guess it is about hydration levels, or electrolytes in your system, (salt). Seems to have little correlation to pain tolerance.
    I think you nailed it Willie with the electrolytes and moisture content. We had an American Indian Electrician at one place I worked that used his fingers while troubleshooting the overhead cranes, 250 volts DC, he'd lick his fingers and pinch the wire or connection he was checking.
    IMPEACH BIDEN!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD HELP AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEP View Post
    Highway 516 in Kent Washington. We built a bridge over the Green River. When splicing the pipe pile on both side of the bridge, we stood in water over our rubber boots welding. Sure you get a little tingle when putting a rod in the stinger, but no big deal!
    CEP, a lot would not believe that story however I worked on a bridge job, pipe piles, in a coffer dam welding in boots and rain pants heavily taped to the boots sinking while welding in the worst muck and silt you could imagine, sinking to my wast and past. When I think back how ridiculous that was it just makes me laugh except when you sank it was hell breaking the suction just to get out. Winter in the North East. Bridge never went on line, condemned due to pier movement. They re designed and built 100 yds down river while the first mess was removed. Circus act from day 1.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    Millermatic 251 Syncrowave 300 30A spoolgun
    Lincoln MP210
    Hypertherm 45
    (2) LN 25
    (2) Lincoln Weldanpower 225 CV
    (4) SA200 1 short hood SA250 SAM 400

Post Thanks / Like

I failed to add I don't advise anybody to weld in the water except underwater welders

Lincoln MP210
    Hypertherm 45
    (2) LN 25

Post Thanks / Like

I think you nailed it Willie with the electrolytes and moisture content. We had an American Indian Electrician at one place I worked that used his fingers while troubleshooting the overhead cranes, 250 volts DC, he'd lick his fingers and pinch the wire or connection he was checking.
    We once had an Electrical Inspector liked to make a show of two fingers across 240. We were in the basement of a nearby town hall. In the bell tower was a US Navy surplus three phase horn. A separate power source came from the fire house to supply it. He touched it, and exclaimed "That's 480!" I'm sure it'd have killed me!.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been nailed a couple of times by 240 and a few more by 120, I don't want to get it again, I had to do some screw on breaker installations on 277 3ph if'n I remember right, while the panel was still hot, I was a little nervous about it at the time, it was all tied in to the fire system and no one could tell me what would happen if I killed the power.
    IMPEACH BIDEN!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD HELP AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Post Thanks / Like

Correct me if I am wrong, I believe I have read that if you get it just right 1 milliamp can stop the heart. Whatever the voltage, amperage it isn't fun. Once had a day when it was raining and we decided to pack it in , foreman starts bitchin, I said ok smart guy we weld until you say it's time to go, BUT your gonna be putting the rods in my stinger from here on out. We didn't stay long. I got run off a few in my young days LOL

Lincoln MP210
    Hypertherm 45
    (2) LN 25

Post Thanks / Like

i kinda remember 35-50 miliamps.... or microamps.... hard to remember, but I swear I've had more than that.. or at least it sure felt like it!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JGPenfield View Post
    I don’t know but I have been told that undersea welders don’t die from electrocution. They instead die from the bends from being down too long or from running out of air. Anyone that has experience welding in salt water, I would like to hear from you. I hear it pays well because of the dangers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It pays well, but plan on being gone most of the time, and spending about half your time on site in a decompression chamber.

Not the job for anyone who’s remotely claustrophobic.

Call me skeptical about the number as well. Only time I’ve ever been buzzed was welding on some stadium bleachers in the rain, and that only tingled.

Unless we’re talking about high-freq reaching out and touching you. Used to work for an outfit building jigs, frames and fixtures. Lots of sanitary stuff so the gloves they provided were this woven, high temp thread material. Some parts were tall so we had clamps bolted to a piece of 2” square tubing about 4ft high, redheaded down to the concrete. Had Synchro 250s. A very common prank was to catch someone under hood on that tall fixture jig and yank or kick off the ground clamp. That’ll wake you up!

Post Thanks / Like

We have a LOT of boat docks here. (over 50,000)
    I have heard of people rolling their old AC buzz boxes out on the dock and being found shocked to death.
    I know people who swim and weld DC...….not AC.
    We have also had some major lawsuits from faulty dock electric causing drownings.
    Miller Dynasty 700
    Miller 350P with Aluma-pro push-pull
    Miller 280 Dynasty with expansion card
    Dynasty 200 DX
    MigMax 215

Enuff power and hand tools to create one of anything..... but mass produce nothing!!!

Post Thanks / Like

In the US the annual average electrocutions from all sources has hovered around 325 for quite a few years.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.