Thread: bandsaw coolant

Post Thanks / Like

bandsaw coolant

hi, so recently i picked up at very nice Jet HVBS-7M horizontal bandsaw at an estate sale and had some questions.
    now i'm more of a hobbyist that likes to hoard/collect tools so not all of my tools get used on a daily basis.
    with that said, what type of cutting fluid would you recommend i use? i've read that there are some which are animal fat based and start to basically rot over time as anything organic will which means i should be looking for something synthetic.

any opinion? this is new to me so any input even regarding the use of the machine, blades, maintenance... is all welcome.

thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Re: bandsaw coolant

I use this stuff in my saw, mainly ebcause it's what my local shop sells:

https://www.morrislubricants.co.uk/p...rcut-1000.html

my bandsaw can go a month sometimes without use and all I have to do is top the water up from evaporation. 2 years on and no signs of rot or mould.

Post Thanks / Like

Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Post Thanks / Like

Check with manufacturer. My ELLIS 1600 horizontal band does not use any coolant.

Post Thanks / Like

I do not use coolant for cutting steel
    It will makes a wet floor
    The only time I use coolant on bandsaw is cutting aluminum

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

bandsaw coolant

I removed the coolant tank and pump that came with my import bandsaw. It did nothing but clog up and make a mess. I just use a lube stick. ( on vise in photo)

I just got a solenoid to rig up an AIR blade cooler/ chip remover on an older Ellis that Iím restoring but havenít got around to it yet.

Invest in a quality blade and run at the appropriate speed. I have good luck with Lennox and Starret.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lis2323; 08-22-2018 at 12:43 PM.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

thank you all very much for the replies.
    Lis2323: my saw actually look just like your except for the name and color.
    i'm actually pretty new to this, do you have any good resources where i can find out about setting up blade speeds?
    also, i've only purchased 1 bandsaw blade in my life and that was from sawblades.com. its a good blade but i just got some Starrets for my hack saw and after using that i don't think i'll ever use anything else.

i never thought about the mess it could make, maybe i'll run water through it and see how i like it. i want something water soluble for easier cleanup. i feel like the lube stick would make the work messy but then again, i've never used one.

Post Thanks / Like

i had a jet horizontal saw in my shop. i used water soluble oil from a company called black bear;we got it in 5 gallon pails. using fluid can be messy if you don't plan ahead. when cutting bundles of square tubing i placed a container at each end to collect the oil that pooled inside. i also never left the saw unattended which is also the cause of spills. i got about a year's use from a blade.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

If you were cutting 2-3-4" solid you could concoct something but for"regular" fab. Its not worth the trouble. Slow the blade speed to 150~ish and cut away.