+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for Multiprocess Welder. Any Suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Looking for Multiprocess Welder. Any Suggestions?

Ive recently started going to college for our WATC program to get my certifications. We have a Hobart MIG welder (190) but we were looking for a good multiprocess welder to help me learn all of them without having to get each certain one. I have looked into the Millers but we don't really know all that much about the welders and what would be best. If you have any suggestions please let me know. Were not sure on what accessories for welding we need either. Sorry were I'm pretty new at all this but I'm really enjoying it so far. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for Multiprocess Welder. Any Suggestions?

Miller only has two multi process machines that would suit unless you really want to spend $$.

The Multimatic 215 and the 200.

The 215 is a shop style version and the 200 a little more robust for in the field work.

You would need to either buy a package deal or get the bare machines setup for mig as they come and then add your torch, maybe a second regulator and a foot pedal.

Then you can mig and stick as it also come with stinger and do tig too.

I have a Mulitimatic 200 and it is a great little machine from what I have used so far which isn't much but tried all processes(I don't have spool gun though) a little and it runs a very smooth arc. The lift arc on tig works well.

Keep in mind these are both steel only tig machines and the only way they will weld aluminum is with a spool gun so no aluminum tig as you need AC for that and these are DC only machines.

https://www.millerwelds.com/equipmen...s/multiprocess
    Last edited by danielplace; 08-31-2018 at 10:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

May want to consider the Lincoln 210. I would like to have a multiprocess machine, tough call between the Miller 215 and Lincoln

Post Thanks / Like

simple thing to look for is HF start tig.

a lot of multiprocess machines are a mig welder with a basic lift start tig welder tacked on.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll put in my vote for the Lincoln 210mp. I bought one a few weeks ago.

Only reason I chose it over the Miller 215 or Esab rebel is my welding supplier is a lincoln dealer... $1432 + about $110 tax here in CA.

And people have had good luck running small diameter dualshield wires in it.

I've only run .035 71M dualshield in it so far, but it works good for that at least. One of these days I'll try out the stick/tig side.

It's got a pretty nice way of walking you through machine setup and some basic settings on the front screen. I could see that being helpful to someone trying to learn. I just run it in manual mode.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    1988 Big 50 Diesel CC/CV
    1982 Weldanpower 225/210
    1968 SAE 300 motor generator
    Maxstar 200SD
    2015 AHP 200x

"The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

That is exactly what they are. Migs with Tig capabilities. They work quite well.

Inexpensive multipurpose machines are not going to be full featured tig machines and very few are going to have high frequency. Miller has nothing for sure unless you go big bucks with DX280 and Mig feeder or something.

Even a Miller $5000 XMT CC/CV has only lift arc start. https://www.millerwelds.com/equipmen...-welder-m00149

Same for the Lincoln Invertec 350 pro. Lift arc only. https://www.lincolnelectric.com/asse...28-13/e591.pdf

Those are the better of the muliti process machines.

The Lincoln 210 takes a lot more than the Miller to do tig. The Miller is plug and play everything is ready. The Lincoln you have to install a kit in the unit so it can do tig. That may not be a big deal to most but if it is good to know up front.

For Miller the Maxstar 161 STH has HF but it is tig and stick only so it doesn't do mig. A Miller 161 STH and a Miller 211 would be good pair to team up. Both on sale now.

This ESAB is a neat machine. High frequency start and AC/DC
    $3000 https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.c...der-0558102553
    http://www.esabna.com/us/en/products...tCode=12701EMP
    Last edited by danielplace; 09-01-2018 at 12:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

if your not fussy about brands there is a few do everything welders around. i think everlast has one. full ac/dc tig, mig, stick, 6010 mode etc.

or simply get separate machines.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tweake View Post
    if your not fussy about brands there is a few do everything welders around. i think everlast has one. full ac/dc tig, mig, stick, 6010 mode etc.

or simply get separate machines.
    They do. Several. Didn't realize so many models do have the HF available.

https://www.everlastgenerators.com/c...ss-migtigstick
    Last edited by danielplace; 09-01-2018 at 12:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Welders are not cheap and then you have to consider all the accessories like gas, welding table, grinders, cut off saws, spool guns,etc. You probably should do all your practice at the college where all of the welders are high quality and don’t cost anything. A home practice welder will have to be replaced if you plan to make a living with your welder. But if money is no problem for you, buy an engine welder like a Miller bobcat and you will be set to make some good weekend money once your welding skill is good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist