Thread: fair price for a Powermax 45 (non-XP model)?

Post Thanks / Like

fair price for a Powermax 45 (non-XP model)?

In the NY/NJ/CT area, whats a fair price for a Hypertherm Powermax 45 (non-XP) that shows some wear but works? Guy is asking $1100

Post Thanks / Like

Re: fair price for a Powermax 45 (non-XP model)?

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    In the NY/NJ/CT area, whats a fair price for a Hypertherm Powermax 45 (non-XP) that shows some wear but works? Guy is asking $1100
    I just bought in July the latest model with all the trimmings, and warranty I think it cost 1600+.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're unloading a 45 for the XP version I'd wait a while. I'm one of those guys that's leery about new " features" so I like to wait a little while in case there are bugs to be worked out.....like about 5 to 30 years...LOL
    Name:  IMG-20180125-WA0024_1516894648543.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  124.9 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Bonzoo, I am looking to buy not sell. I'd like to keep it to a grand or so. Not sure if this is a good price or not

Willie, where did you pick yours up for that price? I have not seen a new 45XP for less than $2K anywhere. Did you by chance get the 30XP?

Post Thanks / Like

Bonzoo, I am looking to buy not sell. I'd like to keep it to a grand or so. Not sure if this is a good price or not

Willie, where did you pick yours up for that price? I have not seen a new 45XP for less than $2K anywhere. Did you by chance get the 30XP?
    Maine Oxy. No special price. They'd sell at that price to a stranger. I'm not sure, there might be a small advantage 'cause I have an account.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

18xx.00 at welder supply out of Wisconsin free shipping good outfit to deal with

Post Thanks / Like

BakersGas appears to be selling for $1538 with free shipping.
    It is tough looking at used items that you don’t see up for sale a lot. How old is the one you are looking at? Anyone who says ‘like New’ and there is an inch of dust and grime on it more than likely rode it hard and put it away wet, so to speak.

When I picked mine up used, I looked for over a year waiting for a reasonably discounted used unit, and the guys shop I bought it from was very very clean, unit was covered.
    Last edited by jay gill; 09-03-2018 at 07:09 AM.
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 211
    Lincoln X-Tractor 1GC
    Hypertherm Powermax 1000

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jay gill View Post
    BakersGas appears to be selling for $1538 with free shipping.
    It is tough looking at used items that you don’t see up for sale a lot. How old is the one you are looking at? Anyone who says ‘like New’ and there is an inch of dust and grime on it more than likely rode it hard and put it away wet, so to speak.

When I picked mine up used, I looked for over a year waiting for a reasonably discounted used unit, and the guys shop I bought it from was very very clean, unit was covered.
    Bakers gas price is for MACHINE " ONLY " !!! I never saw a machine only listed before.
    $1800.00 is pretty much consistent by me.
    Welders supply had a closeout on the 45 when the new model came out. $1500.00.

Post Thanks / Like

I checked, Maine Oxy was doing some sort of show special, I wasn't aware of it, just coincidence. I believe 1800 is about the going rate. I'm not clear the difference between the discontinued model, and the newest. Mine is newest, and accepts the flushcut consumables. I'll admit to a bit of disappointment that beveling for a weld joint leaves a curved, (like hollow ground) surface, with a lot of hard dross that needs more grinding than I like.

Post Thanks / Like

How much 'better' are the XP models?
    I have a non XP one, (powermax 45), & it works just fine.
    Whats the diff between them?
    Last edited by cornemuse; 09-03-2018 at 11:26 AM. Reason: feng shui
    What is the sound of one knee jerking?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post
    I don't know. I do know you could buy the older model cheap a year or so ago when the XP hit the market.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Bakers gas price is for MACHINE " ONLY " !!! I never saw a machine only listed before.
    $1800.00 is pretty much consistent by me.
    Welders supply had a closeout on the 45 when the new model came out. $1500.00.
    I didn’t pick up on that. My bad.
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 211
    Lincoln X-Tractor 1GC
    Hypertherm Powermax 1000

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jay gill View Post
    I didn’t pick up on that. My bad.
    Well yeah, who would sell a bare plasma cutter ???? I bet they sell quite a few of them. Upon delivery buyer says, WT.... Then they call to find out parts extra. I would not be happy. I bet they want buyer to pay return shipping too.

Post Thanks / Like

- Both are 45 amps, but the original produces about 5900 watts of cutting power, the newer 45XP produces 6500 watts. This equates to faster, thicker cutting
    - Newer 45xp is smaller and lighter, yet more powerful and higher rated duty cycle.
    - Newer 45XP has the ability to go all the way down to 10 amps (original 45 had a minimum of 25 amps).....this allows the new marking process (special nozzle and shield, ability to do light marking with either air, or better marking with argon)
    - Comes with the Duramax torch, same as used on the Powermax65, 85 and 105 models with spring electrode technology, eliminating moving parts and potential wear over time in the torch.
    - Quick disconnect work cable and torch on the newer 45xp.
    - Front panel on off switch....much more convenient!

Suggested list price for a Powermax45xp is $2270 with a hand torch. Dealers can sell them for whatever price they desire. For the original poster....I would suggest that the Powermax45 in used condition with a hand torch should be between $900 and $1400 depending on condition, included accessories, consumables, etc.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jim. The guy was in your range ($1100), but refused to let me test it out so I passed. I will never understand that logic. His statement was something to the effect of "I would never sell something that wasn't working, so you have to trust me." Bah...

Post Thanks / Like

Great machine, I'll say that.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Miller 330 A/BP
    Miller Big Blue 251D

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jim. The guy was in your range ($1100), but refused to let me test it out so I passed. I will never understand that logic. His statement was something to the effect of "I would never sell something that wasn't working, so you have to trust me." Bah...
    Say what ?? I wouldn't buy anything with trying it out. Trust me ?? In God we trust and not anyone else.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Say what ?? I wouldn't buy anything with trying it out. Trust me ?? In God we trust and not anyone else.
    and that only applies when it is printed on the dolla!
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge