Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aluminum fuel cell for zodiac rib

Post Thanks / Like

Aluminum fuel cell for zodiac rib

Name:  672BD58B-7FA9-4DB4-AD5B-54A2530B993B.jpg
Views: 1586
Size:  70.8 KBSo I wanna make a fuel cell about 10-12 gallons. It will be made of 1/8” aluminum. I think it’s 5052 that I have. Hoping I can get some help on how many gallons these dimensions come out too? It will fit the front of the boat well this way Name:  678A6637-0BD6-4E48-9E5E-B543A4F6B7B6.jpg
Views: 1577
Size:  47.8 KBso the tank will be 1’ tall. And not sure if I’m going to add the 5” sides at the back. Just a triangle may be enough. Thanks! I plane on building it this week. Planing on using rubber grommets for the bottom and Tieing it down to secure it and wanna add a net possibly to it on the front and weld on mount for fire extinguishers holder on it and rod holders and let it be a seatName:  68B3932B-8491-490E-9D57-F17659EDA449.jpg
Views: 1584
Size:  149.0 KBthis was on the Columbia today

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aluminum fuel cell for zodiac rib

I made one for a guy for a bigger boat. I think it worked out to around 24 gallons in the one I made. Easier to figure the amount if you figure it more square instead of all the extra angles.

12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

Post Thanks / Like

Nice vpt! That right about what I wanna make. Did u put any baffling inside? What did u use for a vent and fuel cap?

Post Thanks / Like

I did baffle from side to side. The vent is in the cap, the cap was mounted to the boat and a rubber hose runs from the tank to the cap. I think the cap was a simple motorcycle cap or the like from an auto parts store (or possibly ordered off line) came with the matching neck for the cap too.

The hole in the top was for a sending unit which was a cheapy bought of the net as well.

The owner put the tank at the front of the boat obviously, the twin batteries right behind it and a seat/deck over the whole deal.
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking about doing a clear hose from the top to bottom to see fuel level. I like the dirt bike style with hose hanging down. I’ve seen some with breather holes under the outside edge of the cap where u grip it with your finger but little closer in. I might even make a cap on the lathe. Haven’t done much lathe projects lately. I’ll go check the auto parts store or online also
    Name:  0ECCB1C1-488A-401E-B134-FC088982F0C9.jpg
Views: 1432
Size:  85.6 KB I like this style. I could get the tension perfect on the honing machine.
    Did u weld the inside?
    Last edited by motolife313; 09-03-2018 at 11:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    Name:  68B3932B-8491-490E-9D57-F17659EDA449.jpg
Views: 1584
Size:  149.0 KBthis was on the Columbia today
    Boy, that drought on the west coast must be getting REALLY BAD, the Columbia River looks extremely dry. Looks so dry I bet the fish have ticks on'em.

Post Thanks / Like

Ya I was standing in the middle of the river yesterday on a sand bar

Post Thanks / Like

Based on your dimensions the tank you have drawn will hold about 11.5 gallons.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leightrepairs View Post
    Based on your dimensions the tank you have drawn will hold about 11.5 gallons.

Thanks a lot!! I take it that’s for the smaller tank right?

Post Thanks / Like

That is for the one with the 3 inch nose, 13 inch side, 5 inch side and 22.5 back that is 12 inches tall.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Ok that would be the bigger one. Wow I’m surprised it’s only that big. Thanks again! With that one I could still lay down in it

Post Thanks / Like

judging by the pictures of the roofs in the neiborghood, you had a wind storm or a roofer strike? many shingles missing everywhere...?

Post Thanks / Like

Massive tornado

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Moto, just lookin at the picture of the boat & you, are you sure you got the motor trimmed correctly?

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Post Thanks / Like

I set the motor up for a video to do wheelies. I’ve figured out how to work the motor now and let it set free in shallow spots. First day I had no idea and it was getting dark. I can get it to plane really fast now

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah that picture looked like you were ready to take off! Were ya puckered a little?

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Post Thanks / Like

No not at all. I was doing it on purpose. He did even a bigger one the first day because the fuel tank was in the back. I’ve got it in the front now. That was little scary. I though the boat was going to flip lol. I could only get it to like 5mph if that first day

Post Thanks / Like

I am envious but only because my boat is nit running ... I have nit been out since last summer...
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Don’t u have a nice fishing boat?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah its a shame too
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

It looked like a bass boat

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to post a picture but my phone died while I was out there messing with the trailer. It is an 18.6” Charger Bass Boat practically identical to a champion bass boat. Charger did a few things different on their boats like looping the live well circulation around the ice chest to keep the live wells cool for happy fish.

Here is a video of me releasing a couble black bass here in Stockton on the Delta. They were stored in the driver side live well. Fish kept poking me with their dorsal fins thats why I was owing so much.

Last edited by N2 Welding; 09-04-2018 at 02:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Just an FYI. Anyone making fuel tanks for boats might want to search for the coast guard regulations governing fuel tanks, especially if you are building one for a customer. They don't allow fittings anywhere in the tank except the top and the manufacturer is supposed to be certified. I think built in tanks are also supposed to be in the back half of the boat. Could be a liability if there was ever problem with a customer's tank.

Post Thanks / Like

Here ya go Moto, this is a better shot of my truck/boat combo and the neighbors dry yard across the street when I was renting back in '2010 oh and the 1998 Regal GS I sold to my ex when we split up.

Name:  Truck with boat.jpg
Views: 1273
Size:  116.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Here ya go Moto, this is a better shot of my truck/boat combo and the neighbors dry yard across the street when I was renting back in '2010 oh and the 1998 Regal GS I sold to my ex when we split up.

Name:  Truck with boat.jpg
Views: 1273
Size:  116.1 KB
    thats a good looking boat and you made the best deal..ditch the wife and car, keep the truck and boat....

26. Likes N2 Welding liked this post