+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: E-6010 and 6011

Post Thanks / Like

Re: E-6010 and 6011

The local farm store was also a grain elevator. They burned down in 1963, so the replacement had no wood. The 75 foot tall building is an acre or more, and was entirely welded with 1109 and an old AC welder. I was in my teens when I discovered it was 6011 upside down. I never saw 6010 until later. 6011 was considered AC or DC, 6010 was DC only. The one guy who welded most of the grain mill did OK with 6011 and AC. The farmers used what they could get. Everything they welded I ever saw looked like cancer anyway. I don't think I ever saw a farmer who owned a grinder. Generally they slobbered a lot of bird poop on top of a broken machine. If they felt they needed more strength, they covered the break with a piece of scrap metal, and buggered that on with more splattered weld. Cow manure would soon conceal the repair.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

I still see that on older equipment when I get called out. Not as much as a few years ago, but still very well see it.
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    The local farm store was also a grain elevator. They burned down in 1963, so the replacement had no wood. The 75 foot tall building is an acre or more, and was entirely welded with 1109 and an old AC welder. I was in my teens when I discovered it was 6011 upside down. I never saw 6010 until later. 6011 was considered AC or DC, 6010 was DC only. The one guy who welded most of the grain mill did OK with 6011 and AC. The farmers used what they could get. Everything they welded I ever saw looked like cancer anyway. I don't think I ever saw a farmer who owned a grinder. Generally they slobbered a lot of bird poop on top of a broken machine. If they felt they needed more strength, they covered the break with a piece of scrap metal, and buggered that on with more splattered weld. Cow manure would soon conceal the repair.
    Your far,ears must have been old duffers. Most of them I see today weld pretty darned well. Who knows , maybe it’s the collective power of the internet so they do t have to take classes to figure things out. There’s not much you can’t learn off utube these days if your willing to take the time to look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Farm welding in 2018 is a whole lot different from farm welding in 1958.
    It's not unusual to find 400 amp MIG machines on farms along with plasma cutters, especially on farms that build and repair their own equipment or repair $100,000 + machines.

Unfortunately, the weld is still not in the machine,, it is still made or not made by the man behind the mask.
    Plenty of MIG wire gets piled on top of a lot of iron even today, and farmers find out looks welded ain't necessarily welded.

Post Thanks / Like

What the heck is "1109"?
    -Ruark
    "Become one with the puddle, grasshopper" - Welding Instructor
    Lincoln 3200HD
    Hobart Stickmate LX235
    TWECO Fabricator 211i

Post Thanks / Like

Cellulosic, fast freeze,left handed
    welding rod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpump5 View Post
    Cellulosic, fast freeze,left handed
    welding rod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yah I hate that left handed rod too
    It's 6011 upside down

Post Thanks / Like

I usually just flip it over so the writing is on the bottom then it work great with my other left hand

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    I usually just flip it over so the writing is on the bottom then it work great with my other left hand
    At the farm store, the owner bought maybe 5000 lb shipments at a time. He didn't know one welding rod from another, he bought what was cheap. Employees didn't likely see the container it came in. I wouldn't be surprised if the stuff I bought in 1973 was ten years old from a pile in the mill. It was 1109, and when I figured it out, I was considered a condescending little smart ***.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes/Inverters dont like 6010... my 2cents. They will run 6011 pretty good usually.

Post Thanks / Like

6 0 1 1 3 / 32

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by welder dog View Post
    Yes/Inverters dont like 6010... my 2cents. They will run 6011 pretty good usually.
    That's probably true for the cheap value built machines for home use in most cases, I've used maxstar and dynasty 200's that ran it fine and the xmt and lincoln that run them all day and don't break a sweat,

Post Thanks / Like

This is what my Everlast PowerArc 200 ST can do with 6010.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist