Thread: Snap on YA212 mig welder.

Post Thanks / Like

Snap on YA212 mig welder.

just picked up a new (to me) welder. Does well and steel , and stainless steel.Name:  DSCF1582.jpg
Views: 1021
Size:  72.3 KB
    Single pass .035" Lincoln L-56 20cfh C25 Heat 10 Trim 6 3/8" steel
    Name:  DSCF1608.jpg
Views: 1023
Size:  97.1 KB
    Single pass .030" Hobart ER308L 20cfh tri-mix Heat 8 Trim 4 1/4" 304 stainless

Needed dedicated mig in the shop. Only cost a few hundred bucks, came with lots of extra tips, nozzles,diffusers. drive wheels. Has a pretty good duty cycle 230 amps@60% duty cycle. A simple old machine, made by systematics in PA. Parts aren't too expensive from them directly. Wondering how it might do on Aluminum, have a bunch of aluminum containers needing repairs.
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Snap on YA212 mig welder.

Looks like it does a pretty decent job.

Post Thanks / Like

Systematics are dam good people, and they built very good machines.

There are even people there who know what they built 20 years back and can answer questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  DSCF1613.jpg
Views: 967
Size:  77.5 KBName:  DSCF1614.jpg
Views: 980
Size:  77.5 KBName:  DSCF1616.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  56.1 KB

Story was that it came from an autobody shop that had it for a long time (lots of primer spatter on it) got replaced by something with LED's and digital read-outs. Guy bought from owner cheap, wanted to do aluminum. He said a spoolgun cost too much, and he couldn't figure out how to run it well without a door chart. When I went to test it out I brought a 3/4" round and 1/2" thick plate, and a piece of 16 Ga. stainless. Got good welds on both in about 2 minutes with .035" 70S-6 wire. I asked a little less than he was asking because the wire feed wouldn't work below #2 setting on the Heat potentiometer. He threw in a 40 ft #8 sjotw cord and some extra blue demon wire with it. Originally I was looking for a millermatic 250, or even a migmaster 250 on craigslist. None of the millers I saw was below $1800 dollars, and the one linde 250 with bottle,and spool gun was sold in an hour for $500 . Maybe because its a Snap On people didn't really have any interest, it lingered on Craigs list for about a month. Its a pretty bare bones machine with no PC boards, run-in, or burn back control, but its been working good for me. Half the electrical parts are on the shelf in my store room. The twelve positon tap switch has screw terminals on all the wires for easy replacement. I noticed USAweld had some parts for this unit, and even a replacement gun. Is their stuff any good ? It doesn't look really cheap....
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D

Post Thanks / Like

All Systematics machines have a story, and largely it's based on the company history. The original company made both MIG & TIG, and split into 2 companies. They relied on a dealer network and built good machines to sell to independent dealers. After the split their sales force kind of crapped the bed, and in the world of that time dealers dropped the line.

MIG company took on contract manufacturing for Snatchon to keep going, and built the best machines Snatch ever marketed, the only machines a Snatch driver had a chance of servicing for his victim too.

Mine came from a welding GENIUS son of a trucking company owner who used it to make repairs to his dozen trailer dumps. It was on C list with a spoolgun & 2 80cf Argon cylinders for $300-. I call the genius and ask him a couple questions, and he can't answer either of them. I call him back next day and he won't answer. Had the helper call and talk to him and we ride out 40 miles to look at the machine. GENIUS pulled it out of dad's barn and he's knocking the barn down with a skidsteer because the roof leaks. Helper shoots the bull while I lift the lid on the machine to check if it got drowned. Clean inside, some rust on top.
    I glance in the spoolgun, and it has a roll of E-70 S6 in it. GENIUS is yapping he's a stick man and he never liked MIG machines.
    I look at the cylinders and they are owned cylinders from the WS I been with 40 years.
    I pull out $300 and hand it to him, and start tilting the trailer to load the machine.
    He might have been a stick weldibater, but he damn sure couldn't weld steel with Argon & a gun.
    Hauled it in, pulled the covers, and checked the machine. Sweet machine.

Only thing I dislike about the machine you bought is the horizontal spool. That can be a problem if the spool tensioner is adjusted wrong. The machine has all the controls it needs unless you plan to run it on a robot. Things like burnback timers are unnecessary to manual welding.

HTP is good equipment, but bear in mind spoolguns turn up every week on C list and every day on ebay. I've bought new in the box ITW guns for $75-.