+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 3 phase problem - need help please

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3 phase problem - need help please

Square d makes a mechanical starter that is push button with bimetallic overload protection. You could get rid of the transformer and simplify the wiring
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

Post Thanks / Like

I'll yield to progress. A motor logic control will save a motor, while a solder pot control shuts it off just after it burns up.

Three phase motors are finicky. They want balanced voltage from all three supply wires. A common motor failure is to lose through a bad connection, burned contact in the motor control, or power company losing a leg, current rises in the now single phase system. Square D Motor Logic controls also sense balance of current in all phases.

I've never seen a bimetallic control in a Square D motor control. I have seen plenty of solder pot controls.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    I'll yield to progress. A motor logic control will save a motor, while a solder pot control shuts it off just after it burns up.

Three phase motors are finicky. They want balanced voltage from all three supply wires. A common motor failure is to lose through a bad connection, burned contact in the motor control, or power company losing a leg, current rises in the now single phase system. Square D Motor Logic controls also sense balance of current in all phases.

I've never seen a bimetallic control in a Square D motor control. I have seen plenty of solder pot controls.
    Most Square D standard motor starters are basically bimetal just done a little differently. They don't use traditional heaters but rathe what they call thermal units. It is metal heating and the expansion used to release the overload. The overload reset ratchets the overload catchs on small toothed gears on the thermal units to hold it. The axles for those gears are set in copper with enough friction until it heats up, expands and allows the gears axle to rotate dropping out the overload reset levers shutting down the starter. If the thermal units are sized properly for the load they offer a fair amount of protection.
    If you are running 3 phase motors that aren't on equipment you use personally then they must have phase monitors or your asking for a expensive repair one day.
    Last edited by danielplace; 10-11-2018 at 08:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Some days I wonder how we built and kept the world running till all these whoopie wizbang solid state devices came along.

Then I remember, Lincoln started it with welders with a phone jack that could call home and get deloused at 110 baud. Watched a young fellow with a laptop plugged into a cooler case a while back, case wasn't cooling, laptop was full of green bars and red bars on the screen, and the store owner was pissed hearing the whole case probably needed to be replaced so that one could go back for reconditioning.
    Probably a global warming thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Square D pre Motor Logic were the more common solder pot units. A double ended shaft with cog wheels at each end. One cog wheel is in a solder pot. The wheel on the other end holds a ratchet dog. The solder pot is surrounded by a heating element. When current rises too high, the solder melts. This allows it to rotate, The dog slips off the ratchet.

It is a good, time proven system. Its shortcoming is that it doesn't react quickly enough in some applications, and it doesn't react to imbalance in three phase motors. Phase imbalance is often easily fixed. Undetected, it results in motor failure.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

So was Allen Bradley, Cutler Hammer, GE. Westinghouse and Colt. They all worked fine and are still working in many applications not corrupted by clever college boys with computers.

Post Thanks / Like

Success

The new fuses came, still blew them instantly.

Decided to follow you guys advice and go to a full voltage magnet.

Stole this one from the shaper to test the theory.
    Bypassed the transformer.
    Fired right up.

Name:  Screenshot_2018-10-22-09-47-53.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  129.2 KB

Name:  Screenshot_2018-10-22-09-45-41.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  131.2 KB

Last edited by MinnesotaDave; 10-22-2018 at 12:23 PM.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome!

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Country Metals View Post
    Awesome!

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
    I thought so too

The help from all the guys here did the trick and now I've learned a bunch about 3 phase and magnetic starters in general.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist