Thread: Handrail help - the sequel

Post Thanks / Like

Handrail help - the sequel

Ref my original thread on handrails - https://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.ph...elp&highlight=

I built a 21í rail several months ago and just took a pair of 11í handrails to my powder coater this week.

I have another handrail job in a couple of weeks. Iím not really looking for these jobs, but I want to do the best job I can.

I still struggle with two things and I would appreciate any advice or tips on how to improve on them.

1. I have been using cast steel 90* turns and ends. I can weld them fine but donít do a great job of blending them with the cap rail. The casts are a little wider and deeper than the cap. I end up grinding too much and having low spots. What do you do? Any advice would be very helpful. What do you use to grind?

2. I use 5Ē prepunched 1Ē channel for the step part of the railing. Using 1/2Ē square solid for the pickets I cannot slide through top and bottom at the angle to keep plumb. The picket will not swing that much of an angle. I have been grinding the holes in the channel just enough so they slide. Surely thatís not the right way, so what am I doing wrong? Should I tip one corner of the end of the picket into the channel and leave the other corner against the side of the hole (not all the way through the hole)? Not sure how to clearly ask the question. I think that would work but havenít really tried it yet. Any advice on how to do that without grinding each hole will save a lot of time.

Any other tips are appreciated. For example the length of the pickets you use, both on the level parts and the step parts, that fit a 36Ē high rail.

I look forward to your help!
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 120

10FtDrillBit.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Handrail help - the sequel

Grinding takes practice and patience. If you are blending, then you are just and only grinding the bead until it disappears. Begin with a proud nonporous weld. You can do it with a flap wheel or disc, though you really need to study where the wheel is contacting the metal. If you are not too close to the corner then a 4-5" flap or disc will work. I prefer discs for blending, since the don't change shape. Typically, I punch a rectangular hole for pickets on a pitch. Thinning with a grinder worked well for me, just time consuming. You can burn you holes, too. I have used O/F.

Post Thanks / Like

There's an art to metal finishing, you need to have patience and most welders don't....and get some glazing compound to help you blend those corners.

https://www.amazon.com/Fibreglass-Ev.../dp/B0000AZ5PM

CR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrookedRoads View Post
    There's an art to metal finishing, you need to have patience and most welders don't....and get some glazing compound to help you blend those corners.

Now this is new information for me. Can you give me some details on how you use this compound? Do you apply before you grind/blend or do you use it afterwards to fill any pockets or low spots? I assume you can paint or powder coat it as is.

Thanks to Tapwelder too. It seems to me there would be rectangular holes in the 5” channel to give you enough angle.
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 120

10FtDrillBit.com

Post Thanks / Like

You use it to fill low spots and any places where you may have ground too deep, it is also good for filling where the welds didn't completely fill the joint or any holes in the weld. It dries quick and you just sand it out, prime and paint it along with the railing.

CR

Post Thanks / Like

There is also a metal caulk which I used quite a bit when welding a circle top railing. If you were to weld all of the circles it would warp like crazy, but if you just welded the insides and caulk the outside, it worked great.

If you doing handrails for a living, then you need to use a 3/4 x 1/2 punch or whatever is the proper size for the angle. If you making a couple a year, just cut the pickets on an angle and use solid channel.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, put this in the wrong place.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrookedRoads View Post

You can't use this or any other filler if you are powder coating as the OP stated he is.

Post Thanks / Like

Any other type filler that works under powder coat?

Also does anyone have standard lengths for pickets? It would seem like there is a standard or formula for 36” high rail.
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 120

10FtDrillBit.com

Post Thanks / Like

From what I've heard there are quite a few things that work for fillers as long as you follow the rules.... since powder coating relies on conductive properties the filler must be fairly thin unless it is metal bearing like some of the 3M products, you must keep things very clean!!!, I used jbweld a few times.... I saw this stuff at a show ---> http://www.thermobond3.com/ and it looked useful but it's not a quick field filler at least as far as I think, I haven't done much coating in the last ten years so I am sure there have been quite a few improvements in this area since I was around it. Have also heard devcon and hysol make some suitable fillers but have no experience with them personally... have you checked on any of the powder forums?