Thread: My build of Jeremy Schmidt's 2X72 belt grinder

Post Thanks / Like

My build of Jeremy Schmidt's 2X72 belt grinder

I wanted a new belt grinder and found Jeremy's plans a bought them. I made a few changes of materials (tubes). I cut all the non-standard steel parts on my Plasma CNC table using Jeremy's drawings. Here are some images and a video of the finished project.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    DIY CNC Plasma table USB BOB Price THC
    Hypertherm 65
    Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
    Miler 180 Mig
    13" metal lathe
    Mill/ Drill
    ECT, ECT,

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My build of Jeremy Schmidt's 2X72 belt grinder

Nicely done (grinder) and the video was great too!

thanks for sharing!!

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Really nice job on both the build and the video presentation! I want to build one at some point too. Jeramy came up with some solid design plans for the 2” x72” and I’m pretty sure this is the design I will go with. Thanks for sharing your project!

Post Thanks / Like

I upgraded my grinder with a optional sliding fence for grinding a straight edge on plates of metal.
    Hypertherm 65
    Miler 180 Mig
    13" metal lathe
    Mill/ Drill
    ECT, ECT,

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good. Have you considered making amy push handle to get your hands out of the grinding zone? Possibly have magnets on it so it can hold the handle to the material being ground.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't Yeremy Spitt have a twin that builds machines out of wood for no reason what so ever ?
    Yeah. This nitwit

7. Dislikes 12345678910 disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

BTW I once built a 2 x 144 inch belt grinder for a sop I worked at.
    Ever run a 72" that became so dull about half life you continued to use it ? Even tho it sucked ?
    Try it with a a 144 !
    Belt grinders should max at 48. Cut it and use pieces when the belt dulls.
    Tell lil yerrymiia I said shallowm

Last edited by Bonzoo; 11-02-2018 at 05:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I just found this after seeing the pictures you posted the other day. It looks great! I hope you don't mind if I steal some of you're ideas. I was considering using tube but I have a good bit of 1 1/2" and 2" bar left from other projects so I may just do it that way. I have an 8-inch contact wheel but hadn't thought of making an attachment for a smaller one. I may do that as well as you're adjustable fence. I bought his plans probably a year ago and just finally have time to get started with it hopefully this week.
    Lincoln 350MP
    Millermatic 350P
    Syncrowave 250
    1969 SA200
    HTP Invertig 221

Post Thanks / Like

Great looking grinder and the fence idea is brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Looks good. Have you considered making amy push handle to get your hands out of the grinding zone? Possibly have magnets on it so it can hold the handle to the material being ground.
    Exactly what I was thinking. Too often people who get their fingers that close to fast moving sharp things have fewer fingers.

Post Thanks / Like

I made one, It works well but my tensioning wheel is wonky so the tracking is never quite right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Doesn't Yeremy Spitt have a twin that builds machines out of wood for no reason what so ever ?
    I think they're all just John Heisz "I Build It" followers. The guy is talented, but builds all types of stuff that is normally built out of metal, but builds it out of wood. He obviously never learned how to weld...so he uses glue...

I can't help but tell you this Schmidt story, you'll love it...I had sent him an email once and he replied, we exchanged a couple more. I asked some questions like why do you weld the tube, isn't there a way to fabricate it so that you could use square tube and have them telescope together?

So this one night it was late and I was pondering...probably not a good thing to do...but I sent him an email...it was around 1:00am-2:00am, something like that...and he replies. I even told him, I was surprised he replied so quick to an email late at night. So I had an idea where you could add a strip and make it fit snugly and sent him the idea...he replied again, this time was getting a bit upset...which I didn't understand...so I sent him another email and just said, maybe there's a way that you don't have to weld the tube to fit a section of solid square...then he got really p!$$ED at me and said, "Quit sending me emails I'm trying to sleep as I need to go to school tomorrow and my phone keeps beeping!".

My next email to him was like, "WTF, does your Mommy know you're sleeping with your phone?' I explain I sent him an email so he could reply when he wanted, I didn't ask him to get all tweaked because I sent him an email at 2:30am and I certainly didn't tell him to sleep with his f#@$ing cell phone".

What a f#@$ing punk...

Post Thanks / Like

Ryan if the tracking wheel is wonky you may check the placement and alignment. The design is true and it should work
    Hypertherm 65
    Miler 180 Mig
    13" metal lathe
    Mill/ Drill
    ECT, ECT,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Yeah. This nitwit
    this guy makes about 20k a month building his stupid machines on YouTube.