+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advice on removing heavy oxidation from welding machine aluminum face plates

Post Thanks / Like

Advice on removing heavy oxidation from welding machine aluminum face plates

Hi All,

I think this is probably the best place for this request.

I am going to paint an old P&H tig welder. I think it is a 60's vintage tig welder. I would like to clean the face plates that are very oxidized. To complicate it, the face plates have markings, polarity, heat settings, high frequency, settings, etc.

Is there a way to clean it down to clean aluminum without damaging the printing on them? Even if they won't clean down to base aluminum but at least to get the rough oxidation off that looks like corrosion and will take away from the cosmetics of the paint job.

Any help is appreciated.

TonyName:  IMG_8077.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  119.7 KBName:  IMG_8075.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  104.3 KBName:  IMG_8074.jpg
Views: 895
Size:  117.4 KBName:  IMG_8073.jpg
Views: 832
Size:  71.5 KBName:  IMG_8072.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  87.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice on removing heavy oxidation from welding machine aluminum face plates

This will be very painstaking, is the print etched in at all, or is it printed flat on to the aluminum?

First clean with a mild soapy solution, and use a “Mr.Clean Magic Eraser” to rub off any surface dirt, grease, or grime.
    Start with mild acid- Vinegar - Dont get too impatient, leave it on and reapply before wiping it off.
    Then go to mild abrasive - metal polish, Silvo- or brasso, bar keepers friend or similar metal polish containing a ultra fine abrasive. Use with microfiber, or terry cloth in small circles.
    Then resort to “heavy” abrasives if necessary- #0000 Stainless steel wool(the number of 0’s is very important) light pressure!

Remember Mild to wild! Use the most gentle solution first then Go to the next aggressive step if several applications of the previous was not effective. DONT be in a hurry! Start at a corner and inconspicuous spot with each method!

DO NOT use any solvents like acetone, as it’s quite possible that they make take the printing right off!

At the end after it’s clean I might be tempted to give it a good clear coating of your choice for future protection.
    Last edited by Mmock4; 10-26-2018 at 06:26 AM.
    -Mark Smith

Miller Bobcat 250
    Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax215

Everlast PowerArc 210STL
    Hypertherm PowerMax45 Xp

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice on removing heavy oxidation from welding machine aluminum face plates

I would use a hydroflouric acid based aluminum wheel cleaner and horse hair acid brush myself. Wash first with soapy water as suggested then move to the acid.
    Unless corrosion has moved uner the silk screened printing , it won't touch the paint.

Of course I'm just guessing again as don't know nuthin bout working with old stuff.
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn’t do anything to them.
    It gives the machine character...

Take them off
    Paint the machine
    And put them back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

I might try Flitz on that. we used to use it to polish aluminum diamond plate in the fire department. Never seemed to bother the paint.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

I've used Scotchbrite and water/detergent solution followed by a coat of clear after drying to make a big difference. Not like new but certainly better than before.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for your tips. I finally decided after almost ruining one, to just clean them , take them off and painted the machine. Came out well enough.

Name:  IMG_8111.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  160.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good, how does it weld?
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Before anybody rushes out to buy hydrofluoric acid to clean their wheels or anything else, read about hydrofluoric acid and how it penetrates your skin and eats the calcium in your bones, before you take the lid off the container (not a glass container, it eats glass) first. Pay particular attention to how it attacks your nail beds first so your fingernails fall out, then it proceeds to eat your bones from the inside out. No antidote if you don't get it off your skin "immediately."

Scariest sh*t I've ever used.
    Do not believe everything that you think.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great from here

Ok, you got me curious.... how did you almost ruin one by cleaning it???

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist