+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Welding truck build

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welding truck build

great build and use of materials.

just a word of caution on any crane idea for business use... regulations, certifications, and other such are to be looked into. personally i would stay away from any thing on company rig that has any sort of wire or synthetic rope on it as they seem to fall under more and more scrutiny and insurance costs. while i do have a 30' extendable boom truck out back for certain jobs. i would only mount a hook lift type lift system to the trucks in the company name. allot of propane set trucks in my area have also switched from cable to a static hook type, solely for insurance reasons.

and again, great use of material with the ambulance/ weld truck build. ive never seen an ambulance build i agree with until this one. ive followed some other posts but this project alone says allot about your skill. its hard not to loose that creativity as the jobs pour in, and time to think fades away. i enjoy the production side of my business but have found that when production dries up creativity is always in demand.
    General Contractor
    Commercial Industrial & Custom Residential
    Specializing in all things Metal

Post Thanks / Like

Quick look says Connecticut is as bad as NY on cranes.
    Any powered hoisting line other than hand cranked could get you in deep fast in the event of an accident or irate inspector.

Neither state appears to regulate detachable hoisting equipment though.

Post Thanks / Like

I knew a landscaper in CT that had a log grapple on a F600, his insurance company notified him that his rates were going to go up significantly because they considered it a "lifting or hoisting device", where does it end... a lift gate is a lifting device, are operators involved in P&D going to dinged for a platform that goes up 4'?
    Thunderbolt AC/DC
    330AB/P + Bernard cooler
    Syncrowave 250
    Oxy/Ace torch
    Dayton 160 MIG
    6CF pot with 185 compressor
    Too much big equipment
    Even more small tools

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    Quick look says Connecticut is as bad as NY on cranes.
    Any powered hoisting line other than hand cranked could get you in deep fast in the event of an accident or irate inspector.

Neither state appears to regulate detachable hoisting equipment though.
    The last sentence is scary esp with the Harbor Freight junk truck cranes. Just look at some of the install vids on these. These people have no clue.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    JD2 Hyd Bender and HF Hyd Ring Roller all in one =(Frankenbender)
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table
    Instagram: tjsperformance
    YT: TJS Welding and Fabrication

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tracymobilecnc View Post

just a word of caution on any crane idea for business use... regulations, certifications, and other such are to be looked into. personally i would stay away from any thing on company rig that has any sort of wire or synthetic rope on it as they seem to fall under more and more scrutiny and insurance costs. while i do have a 30' extendable boom truck out back for certain jobs. i would only mount a hook lift type lift system to the trucks in the company name. allot of propane set trucks in my area have also switched from cable to a static hook type, solely for insurance reasons.

and again, great use of material with the ambulance/ weld truck build. ive never seen an ambulance build i agree with until this one. ive followed some other posts but this project alone says allot about your skill. its hard not to loose that creativity as the jobs pour in, and time to think fades away. i enjoy the production side of my business but have found that when production dries up creativity is always in demand.
    The Maxi Lift commercial crane I am referring to does not have a winch or line.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    JD2 Hyd Bender and HF Hyd Ring Roller all in one =(Frankenbender)
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table
    Instagram: tjsperformance
    YT: TJS Welding and Fabrication

Post Thanks / Like

i just googled 'maxi lift' and that is the exact type of 'hook lift' i was referring to. they seem to fall outside of most regulation and insurance rules. and they are very useful, ive used there extend function as a mechanical hand when fitting in the field a few times
    General Contractor
    Commercial Industrial & Custom Residential
    Specializing in all things Metal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tracymobilecnc View Post

Thanks I enjoy a challenge, now I need to get a bunch of backlogged work done

I've looked into the crane licensing, from what I could find they consider there to be a difference between dropping materials onto the ground (think like a drywall delivery truck with a boom) and anything related to construction , so if your crane/hoist is solely for lifting thing in and out of your truck I would assume it's excluded

Here's the CT statute, and a few of the exclusions:

Sec. 29-221a. (Note: This section is effective October 1, 2017.) Equipment excluded from scope of chapter.

(9) mechanic trucks with a hoisting device when used in activities related to equipment maintenance and repair, (10) machinery that hoists by using a come-a-long or chain fall,

Those are just 2 of the exclusions

Basically if you're using it for construction you need a license,

Post Thanks / Like

So, you just became Phil the traveling mechanic.
    That will get you by for a few more years.
    Truck mounts were a workaround in NY for years. Lot of them could pick 20 ton.
    Commercial roofers all bought one because No License Required.
    Hiab booms were real popular too.

5 years or so back some clever lawyers got involved and NY now requires a Crane License for corner mount utility diggers because they can and do lift poles. Dept of Labor has Inspectors who come around and check Licenses.

Put a label "Back Injury Preventer" on the boom and forget the word crane exists..
    Injury prevention is very high on the Dept of Labor list of things to do.

Post Thanks / Like

too bad You weren't in the market for a small crane when I got out of working for a living , I sold a 1 ton Ventro dirt cheap compared to what they cost now . And I threw in the air powered engine hoist with it .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gxbxc View Post
    too bad You weren't in the market for a small crane when I got out of working for a living , I sold a 1 ton Ventro dirt cheap compared to what they cost now . And I threw in the air powered engine hoist with it .
    That would have been nice,

Here's a pic of the toolbox, starting to get it organized

Post Thanks / Like

How secure are the locks on those cabinets?

I assume the are pretty secure.. being an ambulance?
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

They're pretty secure, you can't really stop a determined thief, but I'm pretty happy with how secure they are.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting device you might want to think about bootlegging into your boxes to minimize condensation.
    http://www.tele-lite.com/viewProducts.asp?prodID=54

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    Interesting device you might want to think about bootlegging into your boxes to minimize condensation.
    http://www.tele-lite.com/viewProducts.asp?prodID=54
    I like it, but how does it work? Once condensation is there, it is always there and can't escape. Now if it had a water separator on it, that would be awesome.

My brand new truck gets condensation with nothing in it.

Would be cool to plug it in at night, on a timer, to reduce morning dew inside the boxes.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Look into gun safe dryers...there are all kinds and sizes, some require battery...most don’t. Anyone who stores nice guns in a safe has a dryer of some sort.

Nice build OP...

Post Thanks / Like

Intakes air from a vent panel on the truck and distributes it via the pipe system to individual compartments. Compartment doors have sufficient leakage to exhaust the air, or the little round sofit vents are installed to provide exhaust.
    Fellow who invented it and I have had a few arguments about the size of the blower he used as well as his restriction on the plenum as opposed to restricting the inlet to compensate. He went and died to win the argument.

Pretty much the same thing can be accomplished with 12v muffin fans and a computer power supply in compartments exhausting to outside for a lot less money spent. Easier to route wires than pipe, and the battery provides power for compartment LED lights when not connected to shore power. Cheap power supply will also keep the welder battery hot.

Post Thanks / Like

Each box is vented, at least 2 vents iirc, I don't think I'll have much problem with condensation, if so I'll figure it out

Post Thanks / Like

So I used the truck today for a mobile repair, I have to say it's quite an incredible rig, having everything easily accessible in boxes is pretty nice. I think this truck will work out well.

I'm thinking about getting it painted, got a price that's not too bad, white would be the obvious choice, what do you guys think would look good, white, black, charcoal blue? Haha maybe even orange like a state truck.

Post Thanks / Like

Candy apple red.lol. something that sticks out but not to loud if that makes sense.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

So no chartreuse?

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't do solid white, you might not get seen when the white stuff covers everything up, and besides most company trucks everywhere are white. Black should probably be out due to the heat it attracts in the summer time and trying to cool off on those days. Maybe a blue or green shade, if possible for not much more a 2 tone of one of those colors. Like darker at the bottom and a lighter shade up top. Fire engine red with a gold stripe down each side.

Post Thanks / Like

White would always be my first. choice. Always pro looking. Doesn’t show the dirt and the most conducive to effective signage.

And always best for resale. Peel the vinyl or wrap off and it’s ready for the next owners signage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with white. I always said white was stupid until I grew up in business. Now you are either a large company with 100 trucks the same color, or you have a white truck.

My truck is showing signs of rusting which I need to address. It's starting to look dated.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Good job! Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post
    That would have been nice,

Here's a pic of the toolbox, starting to get it organized
    Looks good but I think that if you drive on dirt / non paved roads often at any reasonable speed... those battery powered drills are going to jump out of those hooks and crash against the bottom of the cabinet. I would have bent the "horns" of the hooks upwards some more.

Other than that, looks great!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist