Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oxy/fuel,choices for fuel

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Oxy/fuel,choices for fuel

do any of you use a hammer and chisel to raise a sliver of steel to start your cut on when cutting thick steel.
    Lincoln 350mp
    miller regency
    miller syncro wave 300

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by djd775 View Post
    Oops...this is the picture I meant to include earlier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Very nice

As I recall, some people with mechanized cutting tables have turned off the fuel gas after the cut has started just to show it's the oxygen that does the cutting.

Never done it myself though - I doubt I could duplicate it by hand.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    Very nice

As I recall, some people with mechanized cutting tables have turned off the fuel gas after the cut has started just to show it's the oxygen that does the cutting.

Never done it myself though - I doubt I could duplicate it by hand.
    I've turned off the fuel (acetylene) when using a small welding tip to blow out stove bolts out of thin material. The # 8, 10 and 12 sizes. Works good. Takes a steady hand and a good place for a arm/hand rest.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcguide View Post
    do any of you use a hammer and chisel to raise a sliver of steel to start your cut on when cutting thick steel.
    You're not supposed to reveal that technique. It's only for professionals, and half of them don't know why it works.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the shipyards I worked at back in the '80s used MECO torches set up for mapp gas and whenever guys would change their torch tip they would just leave the tip they took out laying somewhere or toss it on the deck and many of those tips were new. I started collecting them tips and somewhere along the way I even managed to acquire one of the torches to use them on and in the few years I worked there I probably picked up a couple of coffee cans full of different size and styles of tips. Anyway that yard was poorly run and went bankrupt a few years after I left, and I eventually purchased a few more of those MECO torches over the years but I still have a handful of those free tips I'm trying to use up.

CR

Post Thanks / Like

All shipyards go bust or get bought up, it's the nature of the business. There is a good book by a Scott who started as an apprentice in Scotland and worked his way up to executive level after coming to the US revealing much about the world of ship building.

Since MAAP is pretty much NLA, I can't help wondering if you've tried one of those torches on Propelyne? It appears to be not much more than a rebranding of MAAP.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Westbrook View Post
    You can always build a venturi forge burner about 20 dollars worth of pipe and it gets real hot
    Mike, do you have any drawings or plans on how to make one of those propane rigs? I currently use a coal forge, but for quickie jobs it sure would be nice to be able to fire up a propane forge ... I could be done with the propane before I even got a coke fire roaring...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    Mike, do you have any drawings or plans on how to make one of those propane rigs? I currently use a coal forge, but for quickie jobs it sure would be nice to be able to fire up a propane forge ... I could be done with the propane before I even got a coke fire roaring...
    I sure can I use my coal forge outside in the summer and I built the two gas forges for indoor winter work I don't want to hijack this thread so maybe we should start a new topic in the sticky section where we can discuss making one tuning it forge design the proper regulator and supply needed ........any thoughts

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Westbrook View Post
    I sure can I use my coal forge outside in the summer and I built the two gas forges for indoor winter work I don't want to hijack this thread so maybe we should start a new topic in the sticky section where we can discuss making one tuning it forge design the proper regulator and supply needed ........any thoughts
    Don't mean to derail the thread, and I don't mean to ask you to do a bunch of work, but if you're interested, maybe put a post in the Blacksmithing and Forging Thread at

https://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.ph...forging/page16

on "How I Made and Tuned My Propane Forge" or something like that...?

Or, alternately, PM me...? Anyway, thanks for your reply...

Post Thanks / Like

It's on the sticky forum under topics propane forge burner design and tuning warning it's a ramble !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    You're not supposed to reveal that technique. It's only for professionals, and half of them don't know why it works.
    OK, can you tell us more?!
    Miller Dynasty 350
    Miller XMT 304

Post Thanks / Like

I had a benzomatic oxy/mapp setup. The instructions recommended that if you wanted to cut steel. Get the metal to temp the shut off the mapp gas. The metal had to be thin since the tanks only last 5 minute.

I use oxy-propane. For heating and brazing, often. Propane fires my forge also. Acetylene is used for welding...sitting in the corner for years at a time.

So many ways to cut things...rarely is oxy/fuel used. If I cut with propane more often, then excess consumption might becomes more noticeable.

Guess it depends on what and how much you do.

Post Thanks / Like

Acetylene is for welding and cutting. Propane is for cooking hot dogs and hambergers.
    My "collection":

Homemade Stick Welder
    Victor O/A Torch
    AC 225
    Ideal Arc 250

HF 90 Amp Flux Core
    HF Mig 170
    Solar 2020 Plasma Cutter
    Power i-Mig 140E
    Harris O/A torch
    HF Dual Mig 131
    140ST
    Alpha Tig 200x

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Guys: I am a craftperson trying to set up a workshop with what the instructor likes...O/P. My problem is 2-fold. I have a lot of Little Torches for the participants to use. But I do not have a lot of regulators. I have 8 splitters so figure I could run 8 torches which seems fine for 14 students.

We are in a college visual arts building. What do I use...disposables? But what regulators can I use? I have access to a few Os tanks and regulators. Can a little torch run off a propane camp tank (1 lb)??? Without a regulator??? Could a 1lb propane tank on a regulator run 2 torches??? Is there enough pressure? Probably using size 5 and 7 tips.

Thanks for any great ideas that I need yesterday! I only have this week to figure it out!!!

Post Thanks / Like

If things are really tight and you are in a bind, you can use propane cooking regulators (red tops) on BBQ tanks. These things are fixed at about 30 psi, which is safe for those little torches. Full propane tank pressure shouldn't be run to the hoses. If they are Smith little torches, you should be able to run a few off a single regulator. Don't risk back flow, though, since one of the torches can back feed higher pressure oxygen into another student's line, causing a potentially hazardous situation. This sounds like a jewelry program. Be safe.