+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MORI SEIKI TL 500-A CNC LATHE - $100 (hollister)

Post Thanks / Like

MORI SEIKI TL 500-A CNC LATHE - $100 (hollister)

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/tls...752044208.html

I'm wondering how much money would be required to get this up and running again. Hmmm... biggest problem is moving it. Any one in the market for a cheap project lathe here you go. There is at least $300.00 in Scrap metal an additional money for all the switches, timers motors etc. It's too bad it would require a couple grand to move it LOL.

Name:  00000_iX7u2A67LTk_50x50c.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  958 BytesName:  00a0a_4t8EW4y5fl8_600x450.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  18.4 KBName:  00v0v_awKpQb4Cc02_50x50c.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  1.3 KBName:  00303_5DOKiVw5SvT_50x50c.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  933 Bytes
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: MORI SEIKI TL 500-A CNC LATHE - $100 (hollister)

This: https://sacramento.craigslist.org/tl...753328190.html

Or This: https://sacramento.craigslist.org/tl...753707923.html

Is more suited for my type of budget. Tooling is not cheap though.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

The second one is tempting, but no room lol

Post Thanks / Like

The "1906" is intriguing. Who is the manufacturer? Bears resemblance to a Hamilton, but back then they were using a planetary quick change.
    That machine employs a system I've never seen.

Be a good ruggid starter machine for a beginner home lathe. Fairly easy move for 1 man employing a little brainpower.

Post Thanks / Like

With out any information on the lathe it's hard to say how useful the 1906 could be for a hobby user/learner. Looks like it has a transmission with lots of speed options. That is actually the one I like the most for ease of relocating as well as the best price. Sadly I am in the same boat as Fnord5. I have no room for it at the moment
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 12-01-2018 at 02:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If the 1640 were here in Alaska, it'd have a tag of 3K and be gone in a New York min.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yofish View Post
    If the 1640 were here in Alaska, it'd have a tag of 3K and be gone in a New York min.
    That surprises me. It says sold as parts and is not currently running so how would you be able to know what condition it's in with out being able to use it?
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 12-01-2018 at 03:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    With out any information on the lathe it's hard to say how useful the 1906 could be for a hobby user/learner. Looks like it has a transmission with lots of speed options. That is actually the one I like the most for ease of relocating as well as the best price. Sadly I am in the same boat as Fnord5. I have no room for it at the moment
    That's a flat belt conehead, got 4 maybe 5 speeds. Double that if it has backgears.
    What you see sticking out the head end is one of the handles for an internal quick change box that drives the carriage on the bed for thread cutting etc.
    Post in the antique section and somebody may identify the machine. Lathes.uk may also have it but will require some work on your part to search it out.

Room, move wife out, lathe in. Where is the problem?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    That's a flat belt conehead, got 4 maybe 5 speeds. Double that if it has backgears.
    What you see sticking out the head end is one of the handles for an internal quick change box that drives the carriage on the bed for thread cutting etc.
    Post in the antique section and somebody may identify the machine. Lathes.uk may also have it but will require some work on your part to search it out.

Room, move wife out, lathe in. Where is the problem?
    I'm not putting machining equipment in my living quarters silly duck.

Post Thanks / Like

Just in time.

Post Thanks / Like

I put in a msg to see if it is even still available.

Post Thanks / Like

The 1640 is a pretty good starter size lathe, spend a few hundred on a quickchange tool post setup and get some import bits and bars and you'll have the bare tools necessary for a good chuck of work then later you can start dropping a few grand a year on tooling and in 10 -15 years you should have a decent lathe setup.

They don't weigh that much, usually a pallet jack can move em around... like Virgil says just need use a little brainpower -- I've moved a lot heavier things than that with nothing but a jack, some round pipe and blocks of wood... Of course now I use a forktruck

Post Thanks / Like

The 1640 is Taiwanese made though right? Oh and I believe you meant to say 1940 for the Victor lathe ???.

I have a drill press that is Taiwanese made and it can't drill an accurate hole for Sheet. I think it was pushed hard in a previous life.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 12-03-2018 at 12:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

No, I meant 1640... you don't really see any 19x40's around

Drill presses are a totally different animal, unless you want toolroom precision down to 1/10,000th the import lathe will do more than enough

Name:  1640-lathe.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  70.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

There are several grades of Taiwan made machines around. Some are very good and some not so good. Look for the word "Meehanite" in the casting material as it's a much finer grade of cast iron the machines are cast from. 13X40 is a very common size is toolroom and general purpose lathes and readily available. Taiwan production really improved in the 90's from earlier too.

If I were looking to purchase another in that size I would look at "Nardini" which is Brazilian and very high quality if not an american unit.
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

Post Thanks / Like

Oh. Well well I thought there was someting funny going on here LOL... Probably the suds in my system. I took a second look and the seller has it listed in the title wrong. Any way so what would it take to get that thing running if the motor is bad or has worn out gears or ways?
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 12-03-2018 at 01:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    No, I meant 1640... you don't really see any 19x40's around

Drill presses are a totally different animal, unless you want toolroom precision down to 1/10,000th the import lathe will do more than enough

Name:  1640-lathe.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  70.1 KB
    Well after watching Fireball tools latest video he has me a little cautious as to purchasing a piece of crap machine that I will regret. If I am spending the money I'd like to be able to at least repeat my parts to with in a thou or two. I understand temperatures can have an impact on that alone but if the machine is not capable of repeating or have the ability to have same cuts on the whole transition on the way from the furthest out to the closest to the chuck then why mess with it unless it's really really cheap. $500 for a parts machine is not really really cheap IMO.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 12-03-2018 at 01:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, by the time you get up to a 19(20 more likely) inch swing it would have a 60-90 slide on it

I have several lathes the biggest I have a 30 inch 3 jaw and a ~36 4 jaw chuck for my smallest if a little cnc 3x6 incher, the one I use the most is my import 13x44 because it's just handy for the average repairs I do for people.. mainly 1-3 inch bearing sleeves and barrel work... some other odd ball stuff too.

Post Thanks / Like

An older Taiwan produced machine would be tough to source parts for if a vendor for the name brand isn't known. I'm talking gears only as bearings can be had from a good supplier. Wear in the ways really is expensive to remedy as it requires regrinding and scraping to true them up. Usually however most wear is right up by the chuck where the carriage usually works and the wear can be ascertained and compensated for fairly easily. Lead and feed screws will be pretty standard metric items but the engaging 1/2 nuts may have to be custom made.

I feel it best with a Taiwan lathe or machine tool to purchase the best you can afford up front as when it's worn, it's getting close to worn out.
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen garbage lathes turn out impressive parts... and impressive lathes turn out garbage parts... It's all about knowing how to machine something... having a super precise lathe won't help you make good parts.

And to add to that.... it really isn't hard to 'fix' an abused out of spec lathe.... a little work, common sense, patience, is about all you need sometimes parts// inexpensive//expensive...
    Last edited by ronsii; 12-03-2018 at 01:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no idea what I'm looking for either when I go to purchase one of these. LOL sure I can get it loaded up and pair for but for all I know I could just be buying the biggest paper weight I ever go took for. I have never used one of these so I have no knowledge or experience and least of all know what I am looking at and for when it comes to quality or wear and tear.

Post Thanks / Like

MAke use of youtube

check out Abom's channel and OxToolco and a few others you'll find mentioned on those guys videos

Again, it really depends on what you want to actually accomplish with the tool??? if it's just making some repair bronze bushes for a weedeater or some other tool then a 200 dollar lathe will do everything you need
    Last edited by ronsii; 12-03-2018 at 01:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Actually I would like to be able to make my own parts not just brass pedestal base bushings for the bass boat. Those are actually cheap enough I could probably buy them for what materials cost to try and make em.

Post Thanks / Like

You'll find in the real world most parts have a tolerance of more than a few thou.... unless you get into precision machine works for hydraulic systems and stuff like that.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist