Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filter for Plasma??

Post Thanks / Like

Filter for Plasma??

Which filter do I want for my compressor? Going to buy a plasma cutter soon, and want to get ready.
    Thanks,
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Filter for Plasma??

At bare minimum
    https://www.harborfreight.com/inline...ter-68215.html

Recommended:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/compre...yer-40211.html

Inbetween (hypertherm air filter)
    https://amzn.to/2zFtmfV

Personally I run the compressed air dryer and the hyperthem.
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    Esab ET220i
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    Tormach 770, Tormach xstech
    Razorweld, Vipercut/Vipermig, SSC Foot Pedal Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

I've used these with good success on my plasma's on the tables

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motor-Guard...-/151795427630

Name:  s-l500.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  20.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I started out trying to get by with a oil and water filter system that has a manual drain on it, not sure where I purchased it at. Removes some water etc but it alone didn't do the trick for running my plasma cutter. Then installed a Moto guard filter just before the plasma cutter, it helped a lot but I was still fighting issues, then one day while in Orscheln's at the clearance Isle I saw some inline descilent filters and decided to try them. They really improved the life of my plasma consumable's. Not sure though how well they would work without the other two systems in place.

Post Thanks / Like

Can’t remember where I read it but they say motorguard is for catching oil not water
    I have one on my setup too
    If you get one the m30 has 1/2” connections if I remember correctly and the m60 has larger
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    Esab ET220i
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks for the ideas, guys. I live at 4,500', so it's fairly dry here. I'll spend what I have to, but would like to keep the cost down, of course. I like the dessicant idea because the material can be dried and re-used. Have also heard good things about the Motoguard.Of course the unit by Hypertherm would be the nuts...but spendy.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

I am sure that the Motoguard system I have is the M-30 I purchased it 11-12 years back off of ebay.

Post Thanks / Like

There are many ways to remove water from your compressed air system, I use a long supply line and a large desiccant filter for my Plasma table. I have a Pre-refrigention water remover installed in my air system but have never used it, the other does the job for me. You can spend as much money as you want, I would not rely on those small in-line desiccant filter to do much or last long. Mine hold about 3 pounds of Silac Gel, I use a cheap brand that is in Kitty litter. Mini Kitty at walmart for $5. a bag 4 pounds.
    Here is a device you may want to look into
    https://www.google.com/search?q=fran...w=1230&bih=714
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    DIY CNC Plasma table USB BOB Price THC
    Hypertherm 65
    Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
    Miler 180 Mig
    13" metal lathe
    Mill/ Drill
    ECT, ECT,

Post Thanks / Like

Water is heavier than air. Put the air supply feed line(s) well above the compressor.Then put a little water separator on the plasma cart.Never had any water in the separator unless I use it in the lower shop close to the compressor.Even then the plasma is 3 feet below the incoming air so little to nothing.I'm in a drastic climate as far as temp changes etc.
    Take it for what it's worth.I drain close to 1/2 gallon out of my tank every day( auto drain) due to this setup

Last edited by Bonzoo; 12-04-2018 at 12:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'm going to put the lines above the compressor, and then add the M-60 at the cutter. I'll pay attention to the consumable life, and then go from there, if needed. Appreciate all the input, guys, as always.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Got a 5 gallon bucket of desiccant off Craig's for $5 several years ago.
    Got this redneck trap on both my compressors close to the outlet. Put a few colored pieces in there, they change color, remove the media, bake it in the oven, good to go.
    For my large compressor in the shop running my plasma cutter I have a M-60.
    OK, got my big boy pants on, chastise me for my choices.
    Name:  Filter.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  84.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
    At bare minimum
    https://www.harborfreight.com/inline...ter-68215.html

Recommended:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/compre...yer-40211.html

Personally I run the compressed air dryer and the hyperthem.

I started (still have it in the line) with the first one, and after a few short years I got the second one and haven't looked back.

I'd say if you are only do some cutting here and there the first one will get you by. If you plan to use a cnc table and do quite a lot of cutting for sure just get the refrigerated drier.
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VPT View Post
    I started (still have it in the line) with the first one, and after a few short years I got the second one and haven't looked back.

I'd say if you are only do some cutting here and there the first one will get you by. If you plan to use a cnc table and do quite a lot of cutting for sure just get the refrigerated drier.
    I love mine. I turn on the compressor and the dryer, cut and turn them both off. Hell half the time I don't even turn it on, just running the air through it alone helps
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    Esab ET220i
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by In Utopia View Post
    Got a 5 gallon bucket of desiccant off Craig's for $5 several years ago.
    Got this redneck trap on both my compressors close to the outlet. Put a few colored pieces in there, they change color, remove the media, bake it in the oven, good to go.
    For my large compressor in the shop running my plasma cutter I have a M-60.
    OK, got my big boy pants on, chastise me for my choices.
    Name:  Filter.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  84.6 KB
    I like that setup. I'm all in favor of "rolling your own", when possible. Could use calcium chloride in that, too.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks
    Still got about 4 gallons of desiccant left in the 5 gallon bucket after all these years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
    I love mine. I turn on the compressor and the dryer, cut and turn them both off. Hell half the time I don't even turn it on, just running the air through it alone helps

I put the quick connect coupling on mine and plug into it any time I plan to cut more than a few pieces. If I am just dragging the plasma out to cut some junk off a trailer or truck I just run strait off the compressor/centrifugal water trap deal.

I can definitely tell a big difference when I am running threw the HF dryer though. Even the smell is different. I am very glad I spent the money on it!
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho View Post
    I like that setup. I'm all in favor of "rolling your own", when possible. Could use calcium chloride in that, too.
    Jim
    That unit looks like porous Alumina.

NaCl will give you dry air, IF you don't mind the associated corrosion, and you will get corrosion.

If you can't afford the Alumina, go to Kitty Litter. It will lack the color change, but it will drew water AND oil from the air stream.

Depending on your need, Alumina followed by Kitty Litter is even better.

Post Thanks / Like

How about a lot of the kitty liter that does not change color with a small 5-10% of the color changing desiccant beads so it can easily be seen when it's time to change or dry out the desiccant beads.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    How about a lot of the kitty liter that does not change color with a small 5-10% of the color changing desiccant beads so it can easily be seen when it's time to change or dry out the desiccant beads.
    I like it! Way to think outside the (cat) box!
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post

NaCl will give you dry air, IF you don't mind the associated corrosion, and you will get corrosion.

If you can't afford the Alumina, go to Kitty Litter. It will lack the color change, but it will drew water AND oil from the air stream.

I didn't realize Alumina was used as a dessicant. I thought it was simply a grinding media. I'll have to look into that. I don't really like the idea of a corrosive salt getting into the guts of a plasma cutter. That can't be a good thing.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

This guy did the same thing I did, large filter sold a Lowe's.
    DIY CNC Plasma table USB BOB Price THC
    Hypertherm 65
    Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
    Miler 180 Mig
    13" metal lathe
    Mill/ Drill
    ECT, ECT,

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the desiccant our use in my whole house filter.
    There were 6 buckets left in a building that a guy on Craig's moved into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by In Utopia; 12-05-2018 at 06:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, lets se how many I can hit.
    DRIERITE desiccants are made from the naturally occurring mineral, gypsum (Calcium Sulfate), and are available in several varieties designed to solve all types of drying problems. DRIERITE is an all-purpose drying agent for the efficient and rapid drying of air, industrial gases, refrigerants, organic liquids and solids.

DING DING- Anybody remember all the houses that grew Black Mold from Chinese drywall a few years back? The secret ingredient in that fiasco was high Calcium Sulphate content clay used to make the drywall. CS will uptake water like a sponge, CAKE and RETAIN the water. Works well at 1 atmosphere, but NOT something I'd want in a compressed $$$ system.
    Secondary consideration- what are you going to put at the output of the air from the absorber to prevent CS from going downline and plugging the machine? How about a line filled with cigarette filters???

Yes N2 you can play that tune, just don't let the cat catch you or you may get some additional added indicators in your mix.

Alumina is a descant in one construct, an abrasive in another and a tumbling media in a third. Unfortunately they are not interchangable.

Things you NEED to factor in, ALWAYS put the descant device as close to point of use and at LOWEST use pressure. It works better at low pressure.

Be real careful with plastic chambers, the shards are difficult to find with Xray and impossible to see with MRI.

Also keep in mind you need some filter after the descant to keep dust out of the tool. The media don't stop absorbing water in your tool and that spells PLUGGED tool.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post

I've never seen any sign of corrosion on anything I connect to my airlines.
    Must be lucky.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Virgil,

Are there any home made black metal pipe type desiccant housings that you would consider safe for use with Normal max Compressor PSI's? Basically if I took some black pipe from the local home improvement store and threaded caps on it with holes drilled for inlets and outlets as well as a tube running through the center of the container?

Or would it be better off to use some PVC if there is any rated for high PSI and make a chamber out of that?
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.