Thread: Railing Job

Post Thanks / Like

Railing Job

Railing job i did for close friend. Pre-made panels (about 60 dollars each home depot), 16 gauge to 18 gauge. millermatic211 inverter with Harris E71T-11, run off 110v. Done cheap and fast, bad grinding blamed on friend Name:  20180521_184740[1].jpg
Views: 525
Size:  95.9 KBName:  20180523_140301[1].jpg
Size:  144.7 KBName:  20180523_140313[1].jpg
Views: 522
Size:  151.8 KBName:  20180523_140338[1].jpg
Size:  84.3 KBName:  20180523_140351[1].jpg
Views: 524
Size:  78.9 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Railing Job

Name:  20180523_140413[1].jpg
Views: 479
Size:  67.9 KBName:  20180523_140643[1].jpg
Views: 477
Size:  94.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great!!!, as long as it works it's all good right.

I love my little m211 for that kind of work too

Post Thanks / Like

the 211 has really impressed me. I bought it right before all the good multi-process machines came out and was disappointed at first, but I must admit i've fallen in love. I use the auto settings more than i'd like to admit, especially when changing between multiple thicknesses often. The arc is very forgiving and easy to get a good weld with. 110 has more than enough for over 3/16ths single pass with a 10g extension cord plugged near the breaker. it's really been a pleasure to use.

Post Thanks / Like

I originally tried to use the autoset a few times but since most the work I do lately is actually repairing railings made from anything between EMT and shd. 120 pipe that has rusted inside for 10-20 years the welder seemed to have a mind of it's own when the base was thinning out to mostly paper thin rust and would just blow everything apart... It's far easier to set what I need and control it at the tip I recently stuck a HTP 15' whip on mine... still not sure whether or not to stick with it or go back to stock??? it is sure helpful to have an extra few feet of working distance without having to move the power supply.

Post Thanks / Like

The HTP (might go 12ft) is on my upgrade list, but my m10 gun refuses to die and i have quite a few tips left, and an extra liner to go through yet. unless you're having feeding problems i would stick with the 15. Welding on anything corroded and thin is always a fun adventure, i keep a few pieces of cheap tube, pipe, and angle around in a few step up sizes to use as an inner sleeve on the really bad stuff. Good use for drops. It can be a headache saver on the bad stuff, and speeds things along even if round in square tubing and not snug in OD to rail ID. Just be sure to tack it before you let it go and lose it to the gate gods forever! can't tell you how many times i've done that lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBlues View Post
    The HTP (might go 12ft) is on my upgrade list, but my m10 gun refuses to die and i have quite a few tips left, and an extra liner to go through yet. unless you're having feeding problems i would stick with the 15. Welding on anything corroded and thin is always a fun adventure, i keep a few pieces of cheap tube, pipe, and angle around in a few step up sizes to use as an inner sleeve on the really bad stuff. Good use for drops. It can be a headache saver on the bad stuff, and speeds things along even if round in square tubing and not snug in OD to rail ID. Just be sure to tack it before you let it go and lose it to the gate gods forever! can't tell you how many times i've done that lol.

LOL!!! I keep a couple wooden dowels with neo magnets glued to the ends for that

Here's four sleeve/spacers some crafty fence guy had dropped in a tube I had to fish out before I could drop in a full length insert.

Name:  4-sleves-sumner-fence.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  179.6 KB
    Last edited by ronsii; 12-09-2018 at 03:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you have code problems on the design of that. I think your bottom rail has to be close enough to the deck to prevent a bottle from rolling off and hitting someone under the deck. You might check and see, and if needed add a lower rail that meets code. Now a days if it doesn't meet code someone (lawyer) will come after you if someone is injured. Looks good and looks like it meets the code on 200 lb load test to keep someone from leaning and breaking the rails off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwshaw View Post
    I think you have code problems on the design of that. I think your bottom rail has to be close enough to the deck to prevent a bottle from rolling off and hitting someone under the deck. You might check and see, and if needed add a lower rail that meets code. Now a days if it doesn't meet code someone (lawyer) will come after you if someone is injured. Looks good and looks like it meets the code on 200 lb load test to keep someone from leaning and breaking the rails off.
    Funny, that's actually the first thing I noticed when I saw the pics... but knowing how buddy jobs go I have had similar conversations when the customer(buddy) wants it his way... he gets it his way and I was never there

Easy enough fix if anyone ever wants too, just add another bar.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I was aware that it wasn't up to code and also wasn't a huge fan of the way he wanted the bar on the bottom. As far as everyone (and the city) knows that railing was in when the house was bought 30 years ago *wink*. It was exactly as "buddy jobs go" lol, the "customer" is always right. He was really happy with the end result, and I let him know if he changed his mind it would be easy to close the gap on the bottom. It's a kid free house these days but the horror show that was the previous wood railing (both due to initial design and decay) stood for 25+ years and 5 childhoods without hurting or killing anyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Besides, who drinks coke from a bottle any more.

CR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrookedRoads View Post
    Besides, who drinks coke from a bottle any more.
    Everything seems to be plastic these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Did this little job for a neighbor a while back.
    Attached Images Attached Images