Thread: Welder chart, Conversion chart

Post Thanks / Like

Welder chart, Conversion chart

Have had a few variations of these made up and printed/laminated out of heavy cardstock at the local UPS store for cheap (less than $3 each). Very easy using their online print tool, pick up and pay at the store in a few hours. never open your welder door for the chart again, also conversion stuff is nice to have quickly available.Name:  20180525_221333.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  90.5 KBName:  20180525_221318.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  127.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welder chart, Conversion chart

Useless really. Crank intil it burns a hole when you do the MIG Like TIG circle jerking.Let it down a little and use your ears for wire speed. Charts and auto-set are OK for straight beginners but have not a thing to due with a real world and multi position welding. Ya gotta start somewhere and those are very helpful . In the long run you'lll have your own "sweet spots" for whatever your welding on.Mill scale co. to co. thicknesses and differences( recycled metal)has a great effect on your heat settings too.
    Should really be removed completely before work but when you have an order for 50 columns in a small shop it isn't reasonable to clean all that stuff ahead of work.. Gotta burn through and get it done. The chart doesn't figure that in.Once again. Superiority of straight CO2 in those circumstances.
    Mixes rule the roost on clean metal/new builds. No doubt..In a job shop full of filth crap repairs ? CO2 and a 250 class machine. Or get back to some 6011/7018 stick if the stuff is heavy ( 3/8 plus)
    Last edited by Bonzoo; 12-09-2018 at 02:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ya gotta start somewhere is exactly where the door chart comes into play, especially with finicky wire. Also useful when you bounce between machines, and wire/gas configs. Definitively not useless. Btw bonzoo much respect to not only your work but also your real world attitude and approach. Very rarely disagree with things you say and have never seen you put out mediocre work, glad to know you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBlues View Post
    Ya gotta start somewhere is exactly where the door chart comes into play, especially with finicky wire. Also useful when you bounce between machines, and wire/gas configs. Definitively not useless. Btw bonzoo much respect to not only your work but also your real world attitude and approach. Very rarely disagree with things you say and have never seen you put out mediocre work, glad to know you.
    I appreciate the complements but I'm a 65 year old aszhole and only know what has worked for me since the mid seventies or so. I had a horrible experience jerking around with one of those newfangled MP210 Lincoln machines. Young guys like JD Brewer swear by them but I'm just too simplistic. A simpleton per se. I finished the guys job with an AC 225 and my tapped Lincoln 140 " pro--COMPLETE WITH NASCAR STICKER)".....easy stuff. Minimal "choices".
    When I return to The Empire Inc I'm actually planning on attending welding classes to become familiaer with all these buttons and gas mixes and dual shield and all that crap. I don't golf and I raise my own fish. I may take a Machinist course too because CNC is Chinese to me. Gimme a Clausing or old South Bender and a Bridgeport manual op and I can do anything you want. These videos are amazing to me.......because it's completely "new" in my old brain.
    I like learning more than the average guy but stick with the old school stuff because it's all I know.
    Speaking of which. I need some Crisco and some more acid brushes. Got some big holes to drill next week in some H-beams. Overhead.

Post Thanks / Like

I learned on an AC225, always worked and still works great when fed correctly. It's the way to go when arc blow gets a little crazy, jody had great videos on it. It's been used hard but runs like a top everytime. It's even been used as a makeshift plasma for a few things. Nothing wrong with taps as you end up playing with the contact tip to work distance anyhow on anything thin. the new 211 is actually pretty simple, and can easily be run old school. it has one "new" knob with about 5 gas/arc characteristics (flux core, stainless, 75/25, 100co2), and for "idotset" you rotate the wire speed knob past 10 to wire thickness .023 .030 .035, then turn the voltage knob up or down for thickness, basically wire feed speed and voltage are matched so it's a one knobperation. Not very fancy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBlues View Post
    Have had a few variations of these made up and printed/laminated out of heavy cardstock at the local UPS store for cheap (less than $3 each). Very easy using their online print tool, pick up and pay at the store in a few hours. never open your welder door for the chart again, also conversion stuff is nice to have quickly available.
    It's a good idea. Useful for other things too - like lathe, plasma etc.

Next time ask if they have the matte surface laminating pouches. They are not as reflective so they're much easier to use when you have overhead lights - as you normally do in a workshop.

Name:  lamglossmatte2.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  42.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestion on using a matt finish for laminated pictures to reduce reflective glare.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Good tip about the matte finish. The glare looks much worse in the pics due to the flash and the bad phone camera, but hasn't been an issue yet. I've used it outside, in shops, in a walmart lol, etc. and so far it was readable. I have decent vision still though, so that's a factor i'm sure. On some that are attached to machines I use adhesive lined velcro hook and loop strips. works extremely well, doesn't get bumped or shaken loose like on a hook, and doesn't load up on metal shavings like a magnet based holder. shop vac off if dirty and works good as new

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    I appreciate the complements but I'm a 65 year old aszhole and only know what has worked for me since the mid seventies or so. I had a horrible experience jerking around with one of those newfangled MP210 Lincoln machines. Young guys like JD Brewer swear by them but I'm just too simplistic. A simpleton per se. I finished the guys job with an AC 225 and my tapped Lincoln 140 " pro--COMPLETE WITH NASCAR STICKER)".....easy stuff. Minimal "choices".
    When I return to The Empire Inc I'm actually planning on attending welding classes to become familiaer with all these buttons and gas mixes and dual shield and all that crap. I don't golf and I raise my own fish. I may take a Machinist course too because CNC is Chinese to me. Gimme a Clausing or old South Bender and a Bridgeport manual op and I can do anything you want. These videos are amazing to me.......because it's completely "new" in my old brain.
    I like learning more than the average guy but stick with the old school stuff because it's all I know.
    Speaking of which. I need some Crisco and some more acid brushes. Got some big holes to drill next week in some H-beams. Overhead.
    yeah you called yourself a "65 year old aszhole" Which pretty much means your opinions and perspectives are garbage to anyone with any sense the charts are not "useless" & as you yammered on about
    it people need them when they have not been welding for 50+ years & having to open your welder every time is silly, printing them out is a great idea.
    Last edited by John Chrysostom; 12-10-2018 at 08:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

They work great for an RV packup checklist if any of you are into that. Any type of lengthy/complicated power up sequence also (and don't worry, someone will still find a way to screw it up for you). Use a dry erase marker to check off items as you go, never forget to pull up your rear levelers before you take off again lol.