Thread: HD power strip

Post Thanks / Like

HD power strip

Was looking to purchase a true 20 amp, 10g power strip and found out they are in the multiples hundreds of dollars. Made this instead, maybe 50 dollars of material. 20 amp 10 gauge front to back. Leviton 20 amp outlets including GFCI, leviton 20 amp plug in traditional blade config, SOOW water proof strain relieved cord, 10g thhn. Used a little RTV gasket maker around the face plates and outlets, even though outlets are not water resistant lol. I've made a few for my guitar amps and for the shop, as well as friends. This was the first and is a little rough, but works beautifully. It's the only one i have pics of. Name:  20171022_190318.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  65.9 KB Name:  20171022_185647.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  68.2 KB Name:  20171022_185816.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  86.5 KBName:  20171022_185738.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  77.4 KBName:  20171022_232924.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  61.1 KB
    Last edited by SlowBlues; 12-09-2018 at 02:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: HD power strip

Name:  20180514_152052.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  88.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

The ammo can idea is cool i like how you put the gfci in there too. But then I'd have to empty some cans....

Name:  ammocan-50.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  32.2 KB

Have a couple of these I made up long time ago, they're only 15a outlets but I have 10 running between them box every 5 feet or so...

Name:  12ga-ext.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  72.4 KB

I got a couple of these pass and seymore 20amp boxes at a sale few years back, they work great from the generator to split out power

Name:  pass-n-seumore.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  33.8 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Where is the circuit breaker?
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

10 awg extension cords are great due to length and voltage drop. 10 awg in a little box is a waste of heavy wire.

12 awg will handle 20 amps all day long in reasonable lengths. That's why what you were looking for is not common.
    My name's not Jim....

Post Thanks / Like

You did bond the can right?
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Breaker is in the main breaker panel, where do you keep yours? This is fed through 100 foot 10g run (do the voltage drop math), already pushing it with multiple grinders or other power tools running off it at the same time. No need to bottle neck before the tool cords themselves. The can is bonded (duh) but not insured, thanks for the concern though. Looks good ronsii, i just got tired of plugging and unplugging tools, along with the chasing/detangling of cords that goes with it. Lots of time saved having everything plugged in ready to go. The cord nightmare is real when you have multiples of the same models of tools lol. Organization can really make a time difference on a job, little things done often add up quicker than you think.
    Last edited by SlowBlues; 12-10-2018 at 08:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't think my question was that much of a "duh", failure to bond metal enclosures is one of the most common DIY errors we see and can have deadly consequences, especially with something portable that can get abused and have a wire come loose or abraded. I knew of a construction worker that was killed when the metal replacement end of his extension cord became energized by a single, tiny strand from the hot wire and he grabbed it while standing in mud. Being this is the Internet and I have no clue about your knowledge or skills I though it prudent to look out for your safety and the safety of anyone who copies your model.

In many cases the receptacles will bond the enclosure but a separate bond to the enclosure is still required.
    Last edited by bigb; 12-10-2018 at 08:28 PM.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

By the way what do you like to play in the Blues genre? Any You tubes?
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a fair point. Bonding metal enclosures is second nature but it's easy to forget people that are complete novices might be getting ideas from our posts. I'm big fan of GFCI protected outlets, modern ones work great and are a good safety measure, especially with the amount of cords i've seen cut or burned (setting down a spinning grinder is often the cause). I'm not a big fan of the metal ringed enclosures for just that reason, i spend a little extra and get the rubber or plastic models. As for anything electric i try to overbuild when i can, i don't see it as throwing away my money in the least (if you're sweating the difference then you're in the wrong business). 10g thhn is as easy to run as 12g romex, and nearly as cheap around here (tons of 10g thhn available from private sellers in the online marketplace here). Do i mind spending extra for copper over AL? nope. Do i mind going 10 over 12 when it's about as easy and about as expensive? hell no. Buy once cry once gentlemen. Overbuilding infrastructure is never a bad idea unless you're really strapped for cash.

Post Thanks / Like

I like to play guitar in general, but blues are "home" to me. My sweetheart ax is an SRV style strat copy, Dean Markley Blue Steel strings 11-52, fingerpick usually sometimes use a Dunlop stubby 3.0. Two texas specials on top and a pearly gates on the bottom, tom anderson wiring to run them in parrallel, in series, and in individual combinations there of. I usually play through my customized 65 black face vibro champ, boss katana, or yamaha THR. Get most of the sounds i want out of that rig. On guitar I love stevie ray vaughan, hendrix, albert collins, jim croce, jerry reed, chet atkins, son house, robert johnson, elmore james, blind lemon jefferson, tommy Emmanuel, brian setzer, django reindhart, grant green, roy clark, kenny burrel, etc etc etc lol. I listen to every type of music regularly, I'm not a big fan of a specific genre or era, I bounce between anything good from the new to the old. It's hard to keep up with all the new good stuff, youtube has flooded the market with amazing music so to say. Lately i love the band " Midland ", great old school style country.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that's a lot like me, well except I don't play an instrument, any instrument, very well at all, except the stereo (have a small collection of dusty instruments). Stevie Ray Vaughn to Grant Green....that's quite a leap. I like to say I listen to everything from Stevie Ray Vaughn to Sarah Vaughn, from John Coltrane to Johnny Cash, from....well you get the picture. Been really hung up on Jazz for the last few years...Bop and Post Bop mostly, and Latin... Poncho Sanchez...Paquito Rivera...Just finishing up a good book on Bossa Nova now. Really like electric blues a lot too...too many names to list. Have to have my old country fix too...Ernest Tubb...Hank Thompson....newer guy Sturgill Simpson. And who can deny Townes Van Zandt?? there's too many, no favorites here either...impossible...If I had to pick a year though, for music, it would be 1956
    Last edited by bigb; 12-10-2018 at 10:43 PM.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  IMG_1592.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  188.7 KB

Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

That's a beautiful guitar. Even though it looks really nice i tend to gouge without pickguards, i'm an aggressive player coupled with the thickness/stiffness of the stubby plectrums. I love natural, non high gloss finishes as well, they're BEAUTIFUL, and they tend to breathe (makes a more noticeable difference on acoustics). Plus they feel slippery and are a Joy in the hands, like a matte neck finish. My only real deficiency on my guitar is the two point floating trem. It's a wilkinson (good brand and model), well lubed, tusq nut(man made ivory impregnated with teflon) with properly sized slots, has great tuners, and still will go out of tune when i have it set to float (can slacken and tighten strings). My solution since i don't go dive bomb guitar wanking crazy (often) was just to block it to the body, so you can only slacken strings. If it ever refuses to return to tune a quick rap on the bridge almost always brings it back to pitch. I use all five tension springs fairly tight as well, helps with sustain quite a bit. People will argue about wood not making a difference on an electric tone and that is absolutely not true. Wood (and all materials/structure on the string tension path) won't affect the electric signal itself but it certainly affects the vibrational dynamics ie sustain, complimentary (and non) harmonics, and string length/tension/bend dynamics . I also believe the thicker the string the more affected by body the tone is, so maybe all these .09 cowboys have reason in claiming material has no affect on electric tone. Anyhow beautiful guitar, love the naturally aged (creamed) vol/tone knobs against that gorgeous wood grain, now that's class.

Post Thanks / Like

I hear ya. This is a hardtail built from scratch by a friend. Took me a bit to get used to the feel of the hardtail.
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

Is he a luthier? That's a beautiful guitar, i bet she's a joy to play

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBlues View Post
    Is he a luthier? That's a beautiful guitar, i bet she's a joy to play
    Not really- he just started making guitars.

he called me one day and asked if I could keep an eye out for a bandsaw and a drill press because he was going tackle guitar making.

I happened to have a wood bandsaw and a bench top drill press he could have so when he got confident in his skills he surprised me on my birthday. Went to my house when I wasnt home and measured out the neck radius on my main Strat.
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge