+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: !! Cutting Drum !!

Post Thanks / Like

!! Cutting Drum !!

I don' know if this link will work, showed up on Google:
    https://www.facebook.com/weldernatio...0335750781790/

Forest Gump said it best: "Stupid is as stupid does", or something like that.
    Ernie F.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: !! Cutting Drum !!

There's slow learners and no learners!!
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Stupid but lucky! His sweatshirt got blown open but he seems to be no worse for the wear, crazy.

Post Thanks / Like

Dumb Luck comes to mind.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Dumb Luck comes to mind.
    Stupid, slow, lucky, dumb....yes, dumb luck fits well.
    Ernie F.

Post Thanks / Like

Reminds me of some cartoons I watched on TV when I was a kid. Yea that was a long time ago .
    Ernie F.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see the USA is not the only country breeding idiots.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

No clue where that came from but I see the wacky licence tag on the car.
    Ernie F.

Post Thanks / Like

That could have blown the entire building down if that vapor had been just a little more right.

Post Thanks / Like

He will be welding on a gas tank next week. Stay tuned for time and day.
    T man.

15 + years working for myself, and by golly, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't do FB. But I can see this is a case of "Cutting/Welding on oil/diesel tanks is no problem".

When I was 12 years old my buddies older brother was cutting the top out of an engine oil drum and got splattered all over the shop wall DRT. Ten years ago a guy where I was doing some equipment repair was cutting a drum and just missed getting his arm ripped off when it exploded, multiple broken bones and serious rehab. But many on here say Diesel and oil tanks are safer than gasoline. Whatever.
    Last edited by 12V71; 12-21-2018 at 08:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Good times!
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    Tube channel: https://youtube.com/@VPTfab

Post Thanks / Like

It's better as a still shot :

Name:  Capture2.PNG
Views: 505
Size:  528.6 KB
    Century buzzbox that I learned on 40+ years ago (was Dad's)
    Crappy Century 110volt mig 70 amp pigeon pooper.
    Lincoln Idealarc TIG-300

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    I don't do FB. But I can see this is a case of "Cutting/Welding on oil/diesel tanks is no problem".

When I was 12 years old my buddies older brother was cutting the top out of an engine oil drum and got splattered all over the shop wall DRT. Ten years ago a guy where I was doing some equipment repair was cutting a drum and just missed getting his arm ripped off when it exploded, multiple broken bones and serious rehab. But many on here say Diesel and oil tanks are safer than gasoline. Whatever.
    Sparks set off this one in Weld County-

While one of the contractors was working on an out-of-service storage tank, sparks from a power tool ignited some residual oil and vapor inside the tank,” the company said in a statement issued Saturday afternoon.

That contractor was airlifted to North Colorado Medical Center with severe burns.

Two other workers with minor injuries were taken to a hospital by an ambulance. All three are expected to survive, Mallard said.

https://localtvkdvr.files.wordpress....rip=all&w=1024

Main article
    https://kdvr.com/2018/10/27/workers-...ed-to-survive/
    Last edited by 455dan; 12-21-2018 at 08:51 PM.
    HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS (Anniversary Edition)
    1962 Idealarc TIG 300 300
    1974 Idealarc TIG 300 300
    1988 HF Power MIG 150
    2015 Lotos Ltpdc2000d plasma/Stick/TIG
    Victor 100 torch, 200- 210 Oxy/Acet gauges

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 455dan View Post

While one of the contractors was working on an out-of-service storage tank, sparks from a power tool ignited some residual oil and vapor inside the tank,” the company said in a statement issued Saturday afternoon.

That contractor was airlifted to North Colorado Medical Center with severe burns.

Two other workers with minor injuries were taken to a hospital by an ambulance. All three are expected to survive, Mallard said.

Main article

Boy!! those guys can't seem to get a break... three fires in a fairly short time

https://kdvr.com/2018/11/13/fire-eru...-worked-on-it/

Post Thanks / Like

Bet he won’t do that again

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 455dan View Post

Main article
    It looks like even the welding rig was damaged

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what language that is, but I heard "poofin". Sounds like explosion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gxbxc View Post
    It looks like even the welding rig was damaged
    yeah- Zooming in on the picture looks like it blew part of the inner wall out, and most of the tanks top off to. I agree on the service truck- that tank exterior has no paint left either- so it must have burned for a while.
    HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS (Anniversary Edition)
    1962 Idealarc TIG 300 300
    1974 Idealarc TIG 300 300
    1988 HF Power MIG 150
    2015 Lotos Ltpdc2000d plasma/Stick/TIG
    Victor 100 torch, 200- 210 Oxy/Acet gauges

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBlues View Post
    Stupid but lucky! His sweatshirt got blown open but he seems to be no worse for the wear, crazy.
    Closest shave he's ever had.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by metalman21 View Post
    No clue where that came from but I see the wacky licence tag on the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post
    I don't know what language that is, but I heard "poofin". Sounds like explosion
    The language is German, so it could be from Germany, Austria or Zwitserland, but it doesn't sound like Austrian or Swiss German to me.
    As far as I can tell there is no licence plate on that car, just an empty licence plate holder.
    Fronius Transpocket 180
    Kemppi minarc 150
    Esab powercut 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Glad to see the USA is not the only country breeding idiots.
    More than most. #1 as usual

Post Thanks / Like

that's a lesson from the school of hard knocks.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

I've re purposed fuel tanks for years. I take precautions to prevent explosion. I've never been injured. I will however take greater precaution in future, as I've had some near misses. 275 gallon fuel oil tanks have been a staple of free steel lifelong. I've been cutting them with some fuel in them forever. Oxy acetylene has always been my preferred cutting method. I always cut outside to in. The oil, or kerosene in them isn't very volatile. Oil needs a surface like wood that supports a vaporization to burn. You can try in vain to ignite it as liquid, It won't burn. Give it a chance to be heated on a surface, it BURNS!

I once was cutting a series of the tanks, I had cut several without incident. Most had anywhere from a few gallons to 20 gallons in them. I had them on forks, on my loader bucket. Seth wanted to use the garage bay I was outside. In the process of moving the tractor, I sloshed some fuel. Resuming cutting, it caught fire on the gravel driveway. Flames grew until I hit it with dry chemical extinguisher.

On another occasion I was removing a 10,000 gallon tank. It was above ground, and had maybe 20 gallons of fuel in it. I cut a big hole in one end, then, not level there was about a foot deep of oil in one end. As it was very dirty, I had no good solution for what to do with it. I splashed some up the inside wall of the tank, and lit it with the torch, adding oxygen to get it going. I hoped it would burn slowly, consuming the dirty oil over an hour or two. The fire grew rapidly to a raging inferno. Flame shot 10 feet horizontally from the end of the tank, then 20 feet vertically. I was 400 feet from the fire department. I was certain I'd go to prison for this one! Spectators did come to see, but miraculously, none called fire department, or police! After what seemed forever, it burned out.

This reckless behavior will result in death with other fuels. I'll also be more careful with oil in future.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    I've re purposed fuel tanks for years. I take precautions to prevent explosion. I've never been injured. I will however take greater precaution in future, as I've had some near misses. 275 gallon fuel oil tanks have been a staple of free steel lifelong. I've been cutting them with some fuel in them forever. Oxy acetylene has always been my preferred cutting method. I always cut outside to in. The oil, or kerosene in them isn't very volatile. Oil needs a surface like wood that supports a vaporization to burn. You can try in vain to ignite it as liquid, It won't burn. Give it a chance to be heated on a surface, it BURNS!

I once was cutting a series of the tanks, I had cut several without incident. Most had anywhere from a few gallons to 20 gallons in them. I had them on forks, on my loader bucket. Seth wanted to use the garage bay I was outside. In the process of moving the tractor, I sloshed some fuel. Resuming cutting, it caught fire on the gravel driveway. Flames grew until I hit it with dry chemical extinguisher.

On another occasion I was removing a 10,000 gallon tank. It was above ground, and had maybe 20 gallons of fuel in it. I cut a big hole in one end, then, not level there was about a foot deep of oil in one end. As it was very dirty, I had no good solution for what to do with it. I splashed some up the inside wall of the tank, and lit it with the torch, adding oxygen to get it going. I hoped it would burn slowly, consuming the dirty oil over an hour or two. The fire grew rapidly to a raging inferno. Flame shot 10 feet horizontally from the end of the tank, then 20 feet vertically. I was 400 feet from the fire department. I was certain I'd go to prison for this one! Spectators did come to see, but miraculously, none called fire department, or police! After what seemed forever, it burned out.

This reckless behavior will result in death with other fuels. I'll also be more careful with oil in future.
    I have taken out a few 20K gallon fuel tanks, we fill to the top with water and take a 2 foot wide strip out of the top using the Milwaukee hand saw. Then start the cutting as the water level goes down. If they do have free fuel in them I have an enviro company vacuum it out before we pump water in. Once that big strip is out of the tank you may have some fire but no explosion. same for the 275 oil tanks. Gasoline tanks would get cut through water with the saw with zero air space. The tanks that really suck are the ones with a sprayed plastic liner, might as well cut them up with the saw.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist