Thread: Lincoln/Red-D-Arc Ranger ZR-10 Three Phase with no power output

Post Thanks / Like

Lincoln/Red-D-Arc Ranger ZR-10 Three Phase with no power output

Hello All

I have a line on a year 2000 Lincoln Ranger (Red-D-Arc ZR-10) three phase welder generator (Code 10707) with only 360 hrs of run time that is owned by a county highway department. They tell me that it has been used more as a back up and occasional job site generator than as a welder. This fall, while welding, it suddenly stopped producing either welding or auxiliary power. There were no unusual sounds, visual damage, smoke or odors and other than trying the circuit breakers no troubleshooting was done. They were in a bind and don't get paid to repair welders so they just went to the LWS and got a new machine.

The Ranger sports a 20 hp Honda GX620 engine, has been kept indoors and other than being dusty seems to be in good shape physically and cosmetically so I'm thinking of rolling the dice if I can get a low enough price on it.

I'm not going to be able to pull the sheet metal and peek inside of it before making a buying decision. I can't find an online source for the service manual for the exact code number but have a digital copy of the manual for the follow-on model with the bigger engine so I at least have that troubleshooting guide to run down.

If anyone has a gut feeling or other idea of what might cause a sudden failure I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts. And I know that I could be looking at anything from a a really simple fix to an uneconomically repairable machine here.....

Thanks for looking.
    Lance

Miller/Smith heavy duty torch set
    Multimatic 255 w/MDX-250 EZ-Select gun
    9" Evolution circular saw

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lincoln/Red-D-Arc Ranger ZR-10 Three Phase with no power output

Could be as simple as a failed $10 field voltage rectifier or a control board issue. Worse cases would be less likely failed rotor or stator windings.

Here's the unit Operator's Manual:
    https://parts.lincolnelectric.com/In...MzAzOTEwMjY1fQ
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lincoln/Red-D-Arc Ranger ZR-10 Three Phase with no power output

Thanks, Duane. I'm at the point where some of my projects have projects but if I can get it for a low enough price I will buy it and take my chances.

Have a great day and a good new year.
    Lance

Miller/Smith heavy duty torch set
    Multimatic 255 w/MDX-250 EZ-Select gun
    9" Evolution circular saw