Thread: HF Titanium Mig 140 - Wire feed problems?

Post Thanks / Like

HF Titanium Mig 140 - Wire feed problems?

Picked up a Mig 140 for myself over Christmas at HF, want to teach myself welding, never welded before so I am a bit confused by the behavior of this machine's feed mechanism. Hoping I can get some advice here.

What's happening is when I pull the gun trigger the feed motor runs slow for about 5 seconds, then fast (maybe 5 times faster than at the start) for about 30 seconds, then goes back to the slow rate it was at the start and stays at that speed. Makes no sense to me, the motor should feed at a constant rate correct? It can be set from 80 inches/minute feed rate to 270 inches/minute. Anywhere I set the feed speed it seems to act the same way. And I should note that I removed the wire, thinking it might have been some kind of friction from the spool, but even with the motor free-wheeling it still acts the same. Feed mechanism open, no wire installed, feed roller removed, so there is literally nothing left connected to the feed motor drive-train except the electric motor and its gearbox. At first I thought it was a defect in the gearbox that was causing excessive friction at a certain point in the rotation but the behavior seems to be repeatable as I described above.

Is this normal? I want to believe I can get a decent welder from HF for $400, especially since everyone else seems to like them. But I am very skeptical at this point, called their tech support number 8 times yesterday, they only answered once, the guy said "let me go look at the welder we have here", proceeded to put me on hold for 30 minutes until I hung up.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: HF Titanium Mig 140 - Wire feed problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason126 View Post
    Picked up a Mig 140 for myself over Christmas at HF, want to teach myself welding, never welded before so I am a bit confused by the behavior of this machine's feed mechanism. Hoping I can get some advice here.

What's happening is when I pull the gun trigger the feed motor runs slow for about 5 seconds, then fast (maybe 5 times faster than at the start) for about 30 seconds, then goes back to the slow rate it was at the start and stays at that speed. Makes no sense to me, the motor should feed at a constant rate correct? It can be set from 80 inches/minute feed rate to 270 inches/minute. Anywhere I set the feed speed it seems to act the same way. And I should note that I removed the wire, thinking it might have been some kind of friction from the spool, but even with the motor free-wheeling it still acts the same. Feed mechanism open, no wire installed, feed roller removed, so there is literally nothing left connected to the feed motor drive-train except the electric motor and its gearbox. At first I thought it was a defect in the gearbox that was causing excessive friction at a certain point in the rotation but the behavior seems to be repeatable as I described above.

Is this normal? I want to believe I can get a decent welder from HF for $400, especially since everyone else seems to like them. But I am very skeptical at this point, called their tech support number 8 times yesterday, they only answered once, the guy said "let me go look at the welder we have here", proceeded to put me on hold for 30 minutes until I hung up.
    Make them replace it. Its Chinesium junk, I;d try to replace it at another store. The whole order at that one may be faulty.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a set of China sockets once and busted a 1/2 and 9/16 without much torque. The replacements did the same.Too hard.I went back and got a refund and ordered OEM brand off ebay, Nary a problem at 100 lbs or better with a 3/8 LONG ratchet.A long EZ red to be specific....12" plus I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Make them replace it. Its Chinesium junk, I;d try to replace it at another store. The whole order at that one may be faulty.
    That was my thought, this is my second unit, returned it once already. Was starting to think it was supposed to act that way. Trying to decide if I should double down and pay the extra $100 to try the Mig 170 model and hope the batch of feeders in those are okay or get my money out and buy something second hand.

Post Thanks / Like

After some research I think I will return it and put $500 down on a Hobart Handler 140 from Northern Tool, free shipping too! Looked at the Eastwood 175 and a Lincoln Pro Mig 180 and they both look to have the exact same feed mechanism! I'm afraid they came from the exact same supplier in china as the Harbor Freight unit. Hobart's feeder looks different and the reviews are great.

Post Thanks / Like

The Youtube comparison of Titanium Ultimate and the similar Vulcan welder said what you saw is a 'feature, not a bug'.

When you pull the trigger, it will feed at normal speed if current is going down the wire to make an arc.

If no current is sensed, then it will assume you are feeding a new wire down the whip and it runs fast to get that wire loaded.

Peculiar, but it's not a defect.
    HF MIG-180 with all the mods.
    Grizzly H8153 Stick/Tig Pulse 130/160.
    Wards PowrKraft AC-230. Stick & carbon arc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    The Youtube comparison of Titanium Ultimate and the similar Vulcan welder said what you saw is a 'feature, not a bug'.

When you pull the trigger, it will feed at normal speed if current is going down the wire to make an arc.

If no current is sensed, then it will assume you are feeding a new wire down the whip and it runs fast to get that wire loaded.

Peculiar, but it's not a defect.
    Thank you for letting me know. Yes it was definitely strange.

Post Thanks / Like

California probably nailed it, some welders have a feed switch to manually feed new wire why I don't know, did you ever try the machine? It's probably fine, and a good machine, your teaching yourself welding take what you read on the Internet with a grain of salt especially if I write it, most of what's out there in the low dollar range is all pretty equal and I would be willing to bet HF put more thought into a machine to put into production than some of the big names, I know a few people with blue scars buying a name brand that wasn't ready for prime time and your SOL if it don't work no returns, I knew I ain't the only one

Post Thanks / Like

My 350 Airco pulse has the same feature. Jog for feeding new wire but when you pull the trigger it will crawl unless you are welding. I have had guys mess with it for an hour only to come and tell me the machine does't work right. Its fun to ask them if they tried striking an arc ? I get the same answer every time!

Post Thanks / Like

Hello to all.
    I haven't been on here for a few months at lease.
    My buddy has a Miller Multimatic 200 that also has this feature. Very cool indeed.
    Looks like the Chinese copied, or designed it that way. My partner told me that its equivalent to a cold wire feed switch.
    I would relax and enjoy your little welder. Its not junk. They do however leave out little, important things to know in the manual.
    I hope I can eventually get me a wire feed welder. I've been saving my money for one. Your lucky.