Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Audience

Post Thanks / Like

An Audience

I hate having an audience while I'm working They are either critical of your work or they just get in the way. This time, they were just in the way. But they were friendly though.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Re: An Audience

Most of the time you end up with snot and slobbers all over the mirrors and side windows ...
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Post Thanks / Like

They like to rub. Automotive sheet metal can't tolerate a cow scratching its as$. If it is an ongoing project, an electric fence will help you get your work done.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

I did a lot of work for a local dairy and while my truck was usually in an alley they could lick on the truck at times and they would slobber the hell out of it. Also when leads are stretched out across pens they would snatch onto them and give them a tug while your welding. If welding where they were they would pull gloves from your pockets if you stayed in one place too long. then when done welding I have seen them lick the very pipe you just welded 2 minutes ago.

Post Thanks / Like

dam, that big brown and white one with the very large horns dont look too friendly...any thing a 1000lbs plus of solid muscle needs to be respected...Id have a bag of apples to keep them happy....

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a bunch of hay from this guy that runs a boarding stable for horses. He'd bought this stuff, and the horses wouldn't eat it, so he put it out there at a pretty good discount. I bought all he had left.

So, I made the second load last Thursday.

Guy's loading the trailer, and the horses swamped us. THEY WERE EATING THE HAY OFF THE TRAILER Wouldn't eat it when placed in front of them, but decided it was pretty good stuff once it was on the trailer

(my cows ain't crazy about the stuff either BTW)

Post Thanks / Like

No cows on my place, but instead it's a neighbors pet deer.
    He's attracted to the sound of my tractor. When I fire it up, here he comes. First time it happened I had just fired it up, and was hooking up my box blade. Next thing I know there's a nose and chin laying on my shoulder. Scared the dodo out of me.

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like a bunch of bull to me
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

Fold your mirrors in.

CR

Post Thanks / Like

Whenever we had a gasoline powered tractor out in the feedlot the cattle would eat the spark plug wires.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

Post Thanks / Like

Horny cows like Chevy pickups.

This is why when I was single, I never drove my Chevy truck to the bar on Saturday nights. Attracted nothing but horny cows.
    T man.

15 + years working for myself, and by golly, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    sounds like a bunch of bull to me
    Classic

Post Thanks / Like

I got a call this morning from a Horse lady, who happens to be a doctor. Her horse waterer was frozen. A fraudulently disabled local handyman had installed the equipment. Short term fix was simple, long term fix will require excavation.

Horses are gentle creatures, as were the three Great big white dogs. (I'm worried about the fourth, the Pit Bull attacked a couple years ago). Nonetheless, tools can not be in the enclosure. They ruin tools, and swallow what they shouldn't. Sweet animals, they slow the process. One had a split hind hoof that obviously caused him pain.

I can't tolerate suffering in animals.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

I would be worried about flashing the animals. With enough time they will learn to get away whenever you start welding, cuting or grinding but in the process they may get somewhat injuried. We do worry about pets in the shops (there has been some threads about it here in WeldingWeb, why not worry about other farma animals?

I would try to install something to avoid direct exposure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
    I would be worried about flashing the animals. With enough time they will learn to get away whenever you start welding, cuting or grinding but in the process they may get somewhat injuried. We do worry about pets in the shops (there has been some threads about it here in WeldingWeb, why not worry about other farma animals?

I would try to install something to avoid direct exposure.
    Name:  2180956-bigthumbnail.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  118.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

American Bulldog. Wont let them near unless you tell it to "catch"

Post Thanks / Like

When I was a kid every time we were outside doing anything, building fence, cutting brush, etc., there was a Roadrunner that followed us around
    as long as we were out there. Sometimes 6 or 8 hours at a time.
    He learned to associate us with bugs and lizards being stirred up!
    This went on for almost 10 years.
    After a few years he got so tame we could almost put a hand on him!

Post Thanks / Like

An Audience

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
    I would be worried about flashing the animals.
    I donít let my dogs in the garage whenever I am welding (or grinding), for these exact reasons. Plus the grinding noise is unbearable. I am wearing 30db foam earplugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by koenbro; 01-16-2019 at 01:56 PM.
    HTP Invertig 221H w/ CK20 water cooled torch
    Hypertherm Powermax 45XP
    Optrel Crystal 2.0

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    Whenever we had a gasoline powered tractor out in the feedlot the cattle would eat the spark plug wires.
    At one time I had 4 dump trucks and an 821B Case loader cleaning pens for a feedlot. Left the loader unattended for 20 minutes and the critters ate the transmission control harness. Had to drag it out with the D5 to get a chance to work on it, dang cows were everywhere licking at everything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    At one time I had 4 dump trucks and an 821B Case loader cleaning pens for a feedlot. Left the loader unattended for 20 minutes and the critters ate the transmission control harness. Had to drag it out with the D5 to get a chance to work on it, dang cows were everywhere licking at everything.
    I think it's the grease and oil that they are attracted to.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

Post Thanks / Like

Cows are never a problem with flash. They just never seem to care and don't look at it much. Horses, on the other hand, will either run or come up and stare right at the flash. If there are loose horses around, it's best to get the owner to put them up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by koenbro View Post
    I don’t let my dogs in the garage whenever I am welding (or grinding), for these exact reasons. Plus the grinding noise is unbearable. I am wearing 30db foam earplugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ??? Safety glasses and ear plugs. Mack is in the shop all day.
    Name:  boing3m.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  65.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Goats are worse.

Post Thanks / Like

You are so right. Had one of those recently while building a metal building. It was a pet to them and a pest to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

curry goat on the hoof
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla