+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New, Learning to stick weld, seeking advice and knowledge

Post Thanks / Like

New, Learning to stick weld, seeking advice and knowledge

Hey everyone, I am glad to be here hoping to learn a lot. Right now I am teaching myself to stick weld using youtube, fbook groups and forums. This is where I am at right now padding beads of 1/8th 7018. I am new and it shows so please be constructive with your criticism. I really enjoy welding so far and am going to continue to invest myself in it. Thanks so much for a good platform like this
    .Name:  7018pad.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  96.9 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New, Learning to stick weld, seeking advice and knowledge

not bad. Are you steadying yourself against the the table? Perhaps, draw a chalk line for a straight line reference you can see. It would helpful if you ask specific question about issues. more practice.

Post Thanks / Like

Its really all about practice at this point and maybe checking your hood set up to make sure you are seeing as clearly as you can/need to. It looks to me like you have the arc starts, current, and speed of progression pretty close. You need to focus on arc length (you are long arcing in a number of places), as well as working on running straight beads. Make sure you dunk that plate in a water bucket every few beads to keep the heat levels consistent. Eventually you will need to work on welding in both directions and with both hands. What welding helmet are you using?
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

I detest padding as a training method but if ye must.....Take your 1/4" plate. Preferably 8x8 or so, and mark lines an inch apart with soapstone or a gray welders pencil. Weld right along side those lines. THEN run the beads along side those welds lapping into the originals as if you were doing multi pass.Once the whole thing has nice straight beads, flip it over and repeat. Then trash it and start a new one.
    Then get some scrap or new 1/4 x 2 and start doing butt welds with a bevel.THEN you'll see your penetration(on the back--adjust heat accordingly) and you'll also have real good visibility. THEN take those pieces and stand them up at a 90 and practice horizontal---again beveled.
    You can lay that 7018 over a little more than what you see Jody and the others do on the Ytube and actually let the side of the coating allow to touch the plate now and again...short arc for beginners.You can really see your puddle that way too.
    Keep at it. You'll be " there" faster than you think.
    When you go hotdog and decide on vertical up start at 45 degree and watch that rod angle----get someone to take pics of you. Even at 90 up its STILL a drag technique although barely. Real close to 90 straight in but a red pubic hair of dragg up.
    Last edited by Bonzoo; 01-22-2019 at 09:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the reason I used 6011 in the field for vertical is you can crank the heat and go downhand with it. Aint pretty but its good and strong.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome! Best of luck with the learning process.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

make yourself a chart on part thickness, rod size and amps to use (or settings to start with)
    it saves considerable time when actually making stuff.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

I suggest going to 3/32 Lo Hi. We do pipe welding all day with 3/32 up to 6''. The smaller diameter will be easier to control and learn with. You can even grab the rod lower down, move rod to get coating off, and weld. With a proper heat setting for 3/32 Lo Hi its about the same heat setting for 1/8'' 6010. Normally in the field machines are not close enough to adjust . So using 1/8'' 6010 and 3/32 LoHi the setting works fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I am using pretty cheap Auto darkening helmet I think I have it set somewhere around 11

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist