Thread: maybe some hope for this WWW thing...

Post Thanks / Like

maybe some hope for this WWW thing...

Hi ya'll new member here but been welding since tought myself to use an old Lincoln 225 buzz box when I was 12 (had access to the welder but noone to show me so just burned up steel and a bunch of 6011 till I figured it out) that was 40 years ago and have gotten a lil further along since then. I pretty much gave up on the intgernet as its turned into mostly an ad bazar but then stumbled on weldingweb while looking for ideas to get an old trailblazer 250G running again...
    Interesting site, I recently hadda explain to a 20 something that life doesn't end if ya choose to not carry a smartphone around, pointed at my 1993 Dodge W250 cummins (with an extra turbo added just... well because everyone should have two turbos stuffing air into their 5.9) with the Harley sitting in the bed and the 71 Blazer sitting on the trailer behind it in the Autozone parking lot and explained that none of em needed a computer to run and all three ALWAYS start first time the key turns... she just couldn't get it, but then I like my old Miller big 40 and an even older Big 20 (1976 model) more than I do any of our newer machines.. that old Trailblazer... it was bought in 1996 then lost in a cargo trailer for a decade guy had bought EVERYTHING to go with it, TIG hadfn't even been outa the box! its my new favorite, no digital display, no EFI and after rebuilding the carb it fires up everytime just like all the rest, what I', saying is I really get into simplicity these days, I started my latest business after someone told me how no local shops would work on her pre OBD2 truck.. it turns out most mechanics these days never even learn anything bout diagnostics if they can't plug a scan tool into it so I go after the stuff nobody else wants to or can't mess with, same with fabrication projects gotta be interesting or I'll pass it on to an assembler to build..

best thing bout that old Dodge, it sat a decade too once, just put in a new battery, changed the oil and 4 gallons of #2 and she fired up on the second crank and purred... these days the old girl still looks exactly like she did when I found her under a tarp in a backyard cept by the time ya hit 5th gear ya coulda done walked most any new camero or mustang, simple is good and pretty much descrtibes how I like to look at life

looking forward to checking out some of ya'lls projects on here! And will be glad to get to know some of ya'll

Post Thanks / Like

Re: maybe some hope for this WWW thing...

Welcome Monsoon.

You are right - it is amazing to look at all the things built before computers. Thinking about pyramids, Empire State Building, even early NASA missions used slide rules (remember them?).

Young people are lost when power goes out and batteries die.

You will fit right in here. Although we all have smartphones and computers too!
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 120

10FtDrillBit.com

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Ajo!
    IMPEACH BIDEN!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD HELP AMERICA!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wb4rt View Post
    Welcome Monsoon.

You are right - it is amazing to look at all the things built before computers. Thinking about pyramids, Empire State Building, even early NASA missions used slide rules (remember them?).

Young people are lost when power goes out and batteries die.

You will fit right in here. Although we all have smartphones and computers too!

yea my brother a nieces are trying to convince me I need to toss my old button phone and go smart phone, the ability to do billing right from the phone is tempting but... what do ya do if your hands are covered in rust dust or grease and ya needa make/answer a call? with my regular phone it never has any trouble detecting my fingers hitting the key.. I can hardly ever get a smart phones touch screen to see my fingers..

Caveman I was just out your way! they actually hit me up for a 30 year old parking ticket! hadda go to court over there as they froze my DL! apperantly the rez is going through old recordfs looking for missed revenu... worst part it wasn't even me who got the ticket in 1988 it was a truck I sold someone pulled the engine and left the rest on rez land, was tempted to take a 379 pete insteada the bike to see if they'd get me outa there faster if all the parking was used up in front of that lil courthouse.. but weather was too nice hadda go on the bike

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Bonzoo, cudos for finding that video... here in Arizona we pretty much still gotta drive the same kinda roads and then if ya get outside Tucson they get even worse Had someone ask me why I cuss my Dodge trucks so much but then keep getting more... Told her cause the post 1989 ones suck they were cutting every corner they could to keep from going broke then someone decided to put an cummins engine outa a class 5 truck into one and the rest was history... they are a pain to work on cause of all the plastic which is so brittle it crumbles if ya breath on it wrong but then that engine makes up for it.. I've got an 86 Chevy crew cab 1 ton dually that I've had for years (actually sold it twice but it keeps comming back to me) it was an impound that never got claimed years ago when I had a towing company, it has a 454 gas engine in it, only 30,000 miles on the odometer but has sat for along time in Tucson sun.. my plan is to dismantal it every bolt por15 the frame and body throw a dana 60 under the front end and drop a 6.8 Cummins I've got sitting in storage (came outa a John deer tractor) into it, modern interior etc.. till then I'll just keep cussing my Dodge I tell everyone its a great truck as long as I don't have to work on the body/electrical then its a piece of cr@p till I'm done then its cool again...

Post Thanks / Like

Here's mine No worry. I pulled 4wd backhoes out with it.
    Name:  cruiserweb.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  167.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monsoon-mech View Post
    yea my brother a nieces are trying to convince me I need to toss my old button phone and go smart phone, the ability to do billing right from the phone is tempting but... what do ya do if your hands are covered in rust dust or grease and ya needa make/answer a call? with my regular phone it never has any trouble detecting my fingers hitting the key.. I can hardly ever get a smart phones touch screen to see my fingers..

Caveman I was just out your way! they actually hit me up for a 30 year old parking ticket! hadda go to court over there as they froze my DL! apperantly the rez is going through old recordfs looking for missed revenu... worst part it wasn't even me who got the ticket in 1988 it was a truck I sold someone pulled the engine and left the rest on rez land, was tempted to take a 379 pete insteada the bike to see if they'd get me outa there faster if all the parking was used up in front of that lil courthouse.. but weather was too nice hadda go on the bike
    That rez is a helluva place at times, The Ambo company I was working for serves the western portion, from Quijotoa west and north to almost Casa Grande, I was a mechanic there for almost 15 years until I hurt my back in 2013, spent many a day out there. I had a towing company for a while too, everything was great until the government selected a new property disposal vendor.
    IMPEACH BIDEN!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD HELP AMERICA!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  Dodge1.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  109.3 KB

Nice Ride Bonzoo can't place the year looks like an FJ front end grafted to a jeep tub but its to long for that, The Dodge is exactly as I unwrapped her after a 10 year siesta except I lost the camper shell that was on her, new tires and now she has the bucket seats and console outa a very clean club cab, someone commented that without the bench seat she's only a 2 seater now... didn't that seem "anti-social" told em nope, my harley only seats 2 as well...it was too hard to keep butt planted if ya dropped the hammer with the bench seat the buckets look like they came from the factory specially as they are covered in exact same material as the bench was etc.. Dodge had two options in these trucks, grey or tan interior... all 3 of mine have the grey so it makes swapping stuff around easier...

Well hadda go and do it, got myself a smart phone... and as a result (clearly) I hadda spend sunday brazing a super thin tube gate togethjer in the rain (my brother has some of those robotic welded gates they sell at the TSC places I really think the paint was thicker than the metal so resorted to brazing an extra 2 feet to each after cutting up a new gate for material.. I know I was being punished for giving in on the phone,
    Last edited by monsoon-mech; 02-05-2019 at 11:58 PM.