+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone punishing the new MM255 ? Opinions ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone punishing the new MM255 ? Opinions ?

Quote Originally Posted by arielmiller View Post
    I just got one. ran a few beads and it works great. the bead is just like the multimatic 220 and 215. i also had a 252 but sold it because i prefer the bead and characteristics of the inverter more.
    What's different about the bead characteristics? Never heard of differences between inverter / transformer and I have not had the opportunity to experience that. Only used transformer MIG.
    Ernie F.

Post Thanks / Like

all settings being equal ive noticed that the inverters have a smoother weld puddle and arc. It's hard to explain but it's not as harsh as a transformer machine imo.

Post Thanks / Like

all settings being equal ive noticed that the inverters have a smoother weld puddle and arc. It's hard to explain but it's not as harsh as a transformer machine imo.
    Then I would probably love it! I'm told my MM250 has a harsh arc but I haven't had the opportunity to try anything else.
    Did you find out if your 255 has a recall?
    Ernie F.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. My previous Millermatic 211 inverter was smoother than my previous Eastwood MIG 175, and my current HTP ProPulse 200 & 300 are even smoother than the Millermatic 211 inverter.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

I guess to each his own.... I much prefer the arc on my 252 compared to the 211 that it replaced, just seems to dig in better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

The issue with the Mm255 is very minor. Some engineer decided after the first batch was made, that they should have put some extra insulation around two weld conductors. To prevent a possible short to the case sometime in the future. will know more after the repair kits get here and we repair the first few.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ccawgc View Post
    The issue with the Mm255 is very minor. Some engineer decided after the first batch was made, that they should have put some extra insulation around two weld conductors. To prevent a possible short to the case sometime in the future. will know more after the repair kits get here and we repair the first few.
    Good to know. I take it that you work for/run a Miller service center?
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

This has all been good responses and IS appreciated. It's one of the few times I keep my trap shut and just read replies. It seems to have a future once the beta testers take it in the exit port( typical miller tactics) They'll either get it right or come up with a MM257 3/4.
    Kinda reminds one of another useless phukh and his sales of windoze over the decades V2,Service pack 2.6, XP ultimate....blablabla.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Kinda reminds one of another useless phukh and his sales of windoze over the decades V2,Service pack 2.6, XP ultimate....blablabla.
    There were some bright spots along the way such as Windows ME and Vista..
    Richard
    West coast of Florida
    Website

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    This has all been good responses and IS appreciated. It's one of the few times I keep my trap shut and just read replies. It seems to have a future once the beta testers take it in the exit port( typical miller tactics) They'll either get it right or come up with a MM257 3/4.
    They will skip the 256, I think there is a red one of those already. Time will tell on the 255.
    Ernie F.

Post Thanks / Like

The recall as annoying as it is turns out to be really minor from a repair standpoint. I have tested out the machine a bit and it seems to run great. aside from the inconvenience of dealing with a recall i really like the machine.

Post Thanks / Like

My millermatic 215 is nothing life changing. Its just a multiprocess machine with DINS 25's thats painted Blue.
    But then again, I'm no welder.
    When i grow up i want to be a welder

PRIMEWELD TIG225ACDCP
    Millermatic 215
    Everlast PowerPlasma 50
    oxy/ac
    Not enough talent to use any of it very well

Post Thanks / Like

So far have about 20 millermatic 255 in for the "repair". We get a flat rate of 30 minutes.
    The fix it two 3x3 square sheets of insulation. Peel off backing and stick in place.
    Some have been assembled and some still sealed in the shipping box.
    Just don't buy one unless the recall repair has been completed and seller can prove it.
    We tag all the welders we repair with a special tag. So stores we deal with won't get them mixed up. If you end up with a welder that needs the recall installed. Call your service shop ahead of time and give them the serial number and ask them to order the kit.
    It will arrive in 2 to 3 days. This way you can drop it off and pick it up in a n hour. won't have to make 2 trips. See if your local welding supply has a pick up service with a repair center.
    Then you won't have to drive far.

Post Thanks / Like

i got mine repaired the other day and watched the process. if you loosen the terminal, you can easily reposition it to have Plenty of clearance with the case. He installed the 3x3 sheet of insulation but it's really not needed. Not sure how this slipped through miller QC though.

Post Thanks / Like

Thought I'd put in my two cents. I switched to the 255, I previously was running a XMT 355 with a dual feeder. I ran dualshield for all my structural in the shop with the xmt. Now with the 255 I can run pulse spray out of position and still meet D1.1. Which was the main reason I switched. If not for scaling down my business I would have done the 350P instead, but the 255 will fit my needs and cost 2k less.

The new designed mig gun on the 255 is okay. Its way better than the POS that came on my mm252 a few years ago. I ran bernards on my xmt and might put one of them on the 255 if I can't get comfortable the miller gun. The miller is much more compact, which isn't alway great for structural work.
    Dynamic Metalworks
    Montrose, CO

DynMetalworks.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Doesn't matter too much what we think - the future is all inverters.

ESAB went full inverter for all their machines a few years ago.

As Mankul mentioned, Inverter technology isn't new. For a business ROI matters and if you can improve efficiency your ROI happens rather quickly. The machine doesnt need to last decades.

For small business and geerage dudes we certainly would like a machine to last a long time but I figure with this new MM255 Miller too will be all inverters from now on.
    Really good point.

Watched a video with a fronius rep. When ask about longevity of the machine he said, "it's an inverter" I took it as get the warranty and don't get too attached.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I kinda doubt the inverters will live for as long as the transformer machines. Not saying the inverters are bad, I would actually like to buy a multi process inverter sometime but I don't expect it to last like a transformer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nick121 View Post
    Yeah I kinda doubt the inverters will live for as long as the transformer machines. Not saying the inverters are bad, I would actually like to buy a multi process inverter sometime but I don't expect it to last like a transformer.
    I have no idea. They may last 300 years. I'll wait and see. Here's 34
    Name:  Miller200.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  77.7 KB

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist