+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gas Bottle Cart

Post Thanks / Like

Gas Bottle Cart

I didn't really put much thought into this. Just wanted to cut some lengths and glue em together.
    I needed a small cart for my small oxy propane bottles. And I had some aluminium channel that i wanted to use. Also I wanted to make it universal enough that if I ever go to the next size up of oxygen tank, it will still work ok.

Clearly needs some work to finish it off, still. I need a different handle setup for looping the hoses around, and a more secure way of holding the bottles still, and then I'll chop down the ratchet strap to a sensible length. I like the way it looks, though, and it rolls extremely nicely.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gas Bottle Cart

Aluminum...cool. You don't see many home gamer projects on here done in aluminum. Nice cart! I know you had the materials already, but what would estimate the cost of that much aluminum to be?
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

I really didn't even look real good at the cart. I was looking at the welds on your workbench...……………….nice!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    Aluminum...cool. You don't see many home gamer projects on here done in aluminum. Nice cart! I know you had the materials already, but what would estimate the cost of that much aluminum to be?
    cheers
    IIRC... £30/5m length of 3"x2"x 1/8" 6063 channel, cheap
    £250ish for 3mx1.5m 1.4" treadplate (small offcut from that), expensive... should have really used 1/8" for the ramp job but strength calcs told us to go with 1/4" which is literally double the cost...

Samm... haha! nothing fancy about them... gotta say my steel welds are nicer than my aluminium welds... :/ not enough practice to be neat!

on this cart, using TIG, going from 3mm to 6mm to 12mm joints - they vary in heat soak so much... start on an outside edge, get a puddle going on a fillet weld, then as you come to the edge of the channel it soaks twice as much and instead of going faster, you have to slow down! which is not normal! and I have no foot pedal so have to work with whatever amps I have...
    Last edited by Munkul; 02-07-2019 at 04:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I added a thired crossmember, and some angles to hold the bottles more securely. Also got end caps.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist