Thread: Razorweld 45 torch consumables

Post Thanks / Like

Razorweld 45 torch consumables

Have just ordered a Razorweld 45 (Australia version) and it comes with a SC80 torch which according to the manual can fit three types of nozzles, stand off cutting with a standoff that fits over the shield, then there is contact cutting with a contact that screws onto the shield and a gouging nozzle.

What differences in cutting would there be between the standoff nozzle and the contact cutting nozzle? In both cases the cutting nozzle is not touching the work.

Here is the contact cutting nozzle https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Plasma-E...1/254056610072

The stand off nozzle https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Unimig-C...5/183430860623

The gouging nozzle https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Plasma-C...p/112833531994

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Razorweld 45 torch consumables

The contact nozzle is also commonly referred to as a drag shield or drag cup. It is non-conductive and shields the actual cutting tip from the workpiece, so you can actually drag the drag shield (as the name implies, contact) right on the workpiece without it causing an undesirable arc'ing effect. The other cutting tip must be suspended above the workpiece so the arc doesn't bypass the orifice in the tip and short to the workpiece. The latter provides a more "unobstructed view of the plasma arc" should you need to see exactly where it is going, where as the drag shield obscures it, but it lets you simply drag the torch right on the part, which is helpful for straight cuts where the edge of the shield is guided by a straight edge of some kind.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Be interesting to see how the cutter performs. I briefly considered the hypertherm but at between $3500 to $4000 it is far too expensive coupled to the fact it is pointless as it draws too many amps for the common industrial 240V outlet in Australia which is 15 amps, so you can never run it to it's potential anyway. I have seen a 20 amp 240v outlet once, and nothing bigger as you just go to 415V three phase for more power.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the Razorweld units are a great choice if your budget cannot afford a Hypertherm unit. After reading this thread I wanted to clarify a few points.

Two different 45 amp air plasmas are 1. The Hypertherm Powermax45xp, 2. The Razorweld 45. They are both 45 amps output and have the similar cut specs etc. on their manufacturers borchures. Yet...the Hypertherm draws more amperage (according to information in the operators manual)…..what gives? Lets look at the specifications on each according to each manufacturers product manual :

Razorweld 45 45 Amps output at 96 load volts. 30% duty cycle at full output at 104 degrees F ambient temperature. Multiply the amperage (45) x load voltage (96) and you get a measure of the cutting Wattage (a true measure of cut power), 45 x 96 = 4320 watts output.

Powermax45xp, 45 amps output at 145 load volts. 50% duty cycle at full output at 104 degrees F ambient temperature. Amperage x Load Voltage is 45 x 145 or 6525 Watts Output

So, the Powermax produces 6525 Watts of cutting power at 50% duty cycle, the Razorweld produces 4320 Watts of cutting power at 30% duty cycle. This is the reason why the 45XP from Hypertherm uses more AC wall amperage than the Razorweld. It simply has 44% more output power, it also is a 95% efficient power supply vs 90% for the Razorweld. More power costs more, however can be expected to cut thicker and faster. If you reduce the cutting amperage on the 45XP from 45 amps down to around 37 amps....expect the two systems to cut the same materials at similar speeds and both will draw similar amperage from your utility power line!

So...with Plasma cutters don't expect that amperage is a good power comparison, look up the specs and compare power, which is the measure of Wattage when comparing relative maximum power and duty cycle on plasma cutters!

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by .RC. View Post
    Thanks. Be interesting to see how the cutter performs. I briefly considered the hypertherm but at between $3500 to $4000 it is far too expensive coupled to the fact it is pointless as it draws too many amps for the common industrial 240V outlet in Australia which is 15 amps, so you can never run it to it's potential anyway. I have seen a 20 amp 240v outlet once, and nothing bigger as you just go to 415V three phase for more power.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the point you are missing here Jim, is in Australia where I am, you cannot pull 6525 watts out of the common 240V receptacles fitted to most sheds/generators. We do not have 50 amp 240V wall outlets here. The most common heavy outlet in sheds and generators is 15 amp sockets fitted with 20 amp slow blow fuses, so they will blow at a sustained 4800 watts. Although 20 and 32 amp 240V sockets can be installed they are very rare to find. Want more power then go to 415V three phase.

Don't get me wrong I think the single phase Hypertherm 45xp is an amazingly fantastic product but the power requirements means extra expense putting in a dedicated electrical circuit, then you are limited to using it at that point.

What might interest you however is a local seller selling a single phase 240V plasma cutter that is claiming able to clean cut 20mm plate for a low price. https://swswelding.com.au/products/p...sale-australia

I looked at it and could not find any reviews nor any videos. So i went hmmmmm. But they seem to be selling them.

Post Thanks / Like

The point I failed to make is....if you turn the output amperage knob down to 37 amps on a Powermax45XP, it will draw the same amperage that the Razorweld will from your utility and the duty cycle on the Hypertherm will then be around 75% or more. Then you have the extra power available on the occasion you need it with the 45XP. The other thing as well is the torch technology is quite different. The shield tech on the Italian made torch on the Razorweld is a copy of early Hypertherm shield designs....and the patents have expired. The Duramax torch on the 45XP uses a shield / nozzle that are designed with a newer patent called conical flow technology, which increases arc energy density and nozzle orifice cooling. I agree 100% that if budget is the major concern...then the Razorweld is a better choice than a lot of the other offerings out there, it is better design and better quality construction. If cutting, operating cost and duty cycle are more important than purchase price...then there are the Hypertherm products. I have used the Razorweld 45, nice little unit for the $$ ! Jim Colt

I think the point you are missing here Jim, is in Australia where I am, you cannot pull 6525 watts out of the common 240V receptacles fitted to most sheds/generators. We do not have 50 amp 240V wall outlets here. The most common heavy outlet in sheds and generators is 15 amp sockets fitted with 20 amp slow blow fuses, so they will blow at a sustained 4800 watts. Although 20 and 32 amp 240V sockets can be installed they are very rare to find. Want more power then go to 415V three phase.

Don't get me wrong I think the single phase Hypertherm 45xp is an amazingly fantastic product but the power requirements means extra expense putting in a dedicated electrical circuit, then you are limited to using it at that point.

What might interest you however is a local seller selling a single phase 240V plasma cutter that is claiming able to clean cut 20mm plate for a low price. https://swswelding.com.au/products/p...sale-australia

I looked at it and could not find any reviews nor any videos. So i went hmmmmm. But they seem to be selling them.

Post Thanks / Like

Took awhile but the Razorweld 45 finally turned up. The retailer was out of stock and the main distributor was out of stock as well so had to wait on some coming into the country.

Aside from the odd quick release air fitting they use, I am quite impressed by the cutter, with my previous plasma cutter confined to an older cut40 machine this machine is ten times better. I can even when required run this one off my generator and cut 3/8" plate, which the cut40 was restricted to 1/8" plate off the same generator.

Post Thanks / Like

Have just ordered a Razorweld 45 (Australia version) and it comes with a SC80 torch which according to the manual can fit three types of nozzles, stand off cutting with a standoff that fits over the shield, then there is contact cutting with a contact that screws onto the shield and a gouging nozzle.

What differences in cutting would there be between the standoff nozzle and the contact cutting nozzle? In both cases the cutting nozzle is not touching the work.

Here is the contact cutting nozzle https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Plasma-E...1/254056610072

The stand off nozzle https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Unimig-C...5/183430860623

The gouging nozzle https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Plasma-C...p/112833531994
    I am a little confused here. The consumables you listed here are for a 80 amp torch and you only have a 45 amp plasma cutter. So the lowest amp consumables are 1.1mm and they are rated at 60 amps, they won't work well at 45 amps.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

Post Thanks / Like

The cutter comes with a SC80 torch head as standard in Australia. They sell 0.9 tips for them, but you have to search carefully for them.

Post Thanks / Like

0.9 is 40 amp and 1.0 is 50 amp, I would be looking for a 60 series torch that way you can get consumables down to 0.6mm 20 amp. To bad you are on the other side of the pond or I could hook you up with the right stuff.
    Last edited by mechanic416; 04-02-2019 at 09:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea I don't know why they ship with an 80 amp torch, maybe to share components with their 80 amp plasma cutter which does not get sold in the US. https://unimig.com.au/product/razorcut80/

I came across these but I do not think they will fit as they do not have the taper on the flange https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10PCS-No...3/140572575045

There are these as well https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10-x-Ele...h/222402628284
    Last edited by .RC.; 04-03-2019 at 04:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

They are both Chinese copys, the first are for a different torch and the second are some off the wall Chinese stuff.