+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 300ss

Post Thanks / Like

300ss

Bought a $50 non working 300SS. Took the cover off and blew out as much dust as I could. Looked it over and don't see anything burnt or otherwise unusual looking. Downloaded the operation manual and on page 17 near top right there is a small transformer and card which I don't have. Sheet 23, drawing and parts list, doesn't show the transformer or card nor the part numbers on sheet 22. Can anyone confirm the 300SS does not use these?

Confirmed bus bars configured for 220V. Plugged in turned on switch and nothing no power indicator and no fan. Measured 251 at input to the capacitor/filter card. Shut down and will start disassembly, any tips?

Thanks for any help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 300ss

Sorry for the late reply. I've been neglecting this forum lately.

The drawing on page 17 is for multiple models. The transformer is used for 400-series Fan On Demand models, and the circuit board is used in the 300ST. Your 300SS would not have either of them.

In the 300SS, the cooling fan also works as a transformer to supply power to the main control board. I suspect your fan is bad. Unfortunately, this fan is obsolete, and I don't know of any alternative. Your best bet is to find another broken $50 PowCon with a good fan, and try to make one good machine out of two.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply, been a while for me too. The interior is filthy and there is a fair amount of surface rust/oxidation. On the transformer, voltage selector side, what are the two schematic symbols, look like switches but can't make out the symbol clearly on my copy. Figured I could at least check that the windings are open or not. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi jvan100, sorry it took me so long to reply. Once again, I haven't been on here in a while. I'll try to make a habit of checking in more regularly.

The symbols you see show where the buss bars should be placed for either 230V or 460V operation. For 230V, there should be one buss bar across the left two posts, and one buss bar across the right two posts. For 460V, both buss bars should be on the middle two posts. There are also two other locations where the voltage is changed.

As far as measuring the windings, if we number the posts 1-4 from left to right, if you take all the buss bars off, you should measure a winding (low resistance) between posts 1 and 3, and between posts 2 and 4. If one of those pairs measures high resistance, either the winding has "opened up" in the fan, or one of the wires came disconnected from the bottom of the posts. If you measure low resistance between 1 and 2, 3 and 4, 1 and 4, or 2 and 3, then there is a short in the motor.

Post Thanks / Like

Would you mind posting some picture from the inside of you welder? I bought a 300ss from an action and found that parts are missing. Trying to figure out if I got a boat anchor or if I can fit the welder working. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

with no parts to buy out there unless you find another machine. It is going to be near impossible to repair.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi yZdrew170,

There are still some parts available, depending on what you're looking for. Here is a link to the operator's manual: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4gyycsfd24...300SS.pdf?dl=0

Let me know which parts are missing. If you can't figure out what's missing from the manual, you can take a photo of the area, and I can let you know what it is and whether it's available.

Post Thanks / Like

I also acquired what was a working 300ss welder but during the first use of the machine a loud bang happened and I think a little smoke rolled out from the machine. Either way on the side opposite the controls or basically in the middle what looks to be labeled CR1 CR2 CR3 CR4 CR5 CR6 There are 5 boxes of some sort that burnt up and one corner of board is badly burned by chance would this be one of the parts that's still available? We'll my old man says he can get them in town I'm not so sure so I look forward to see a reply from someone with some answers. Thanks for any and all help I may receive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chestonya View Post
    I also acquired what was a working 300ss welder but during the first use of the machine a loud bang happened and I think a little smoke rolled out from the machine. Either way on the side opposite the controls or basically in the middle what looks to be labeled CR1 CR2 CR3 CR4 CR5 CR6 There are 5 boxes of some sort that burnt up and one corner of board is badly burned by chance would this be one of the parts that's still available? We'll my old man says he can get them in town I'm not so sure so I look forward to see a reply from someone with some answers. Thanks for any and all help I may receive.
    was gonna try a add a pic but I don't see how so until ....

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Chestonya,

Those boxes are capacitors, and this is a common failure. Over time, these RIFA capacitors wear out, catch fire, and leak burnt oil all over the board.

Replacement capacitors are available, but you'll need a fairly high-powered soldering iron to solder them on your old board. If you need a whole new board, those are available too. You can get both from Mirabel (just do a google search for Mirabel Industrial Welding Equipment).

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist