+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TIG water hose repair?

Post Thanks / Like

TIG water hose repair?

My Sync 250 has a short 18" water hose carrying warm water from the DINSE connector on end of torch to the input side of the cooler pump, and the hose sprung a pinhole leak.

With shipping and small-order fees, I'm looking at almost $50 for a new one. Machine was new in 2010.

I was going to try to seal the pinhole with some 3M 5200 Marine Adhesive Sealant and maybe some fabric wetted out with same to tie it all together.

Has anyone repaired something like this, and if so, how? I think the ends are pressed on (11/16" LH nut on pump end, 7/16" RH nut on DINSE connector end) -- otherwise I would just try to use a new piece of hose.

Thanks for any help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: TIG water hose repair?

Those fittings are standard hose barbs. You can cut the bands and pull them out.
    Then find a piece of hose from a welder supply or industrial rubber supply, some times
    home depot or lowes. Then just use what ever hose clamp you can find to put it back together.
    The welding supply or industrial rubber should have the bands (ferrels) and the tool to assemble them. Repairing is a short term fix. Once the rubber starts to break down and leak. It will leak in a second spot.
    That hose is supposed to be the hot water return and will only have a few pounds of pressure. The hose you replace it with must stand up to your coolant.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, CCAWGC.

How long do these hoses generally last? And if this one is breaking down after 9 years, should I expect my torch water hose to start leaking soon, too? (It has a nylon cover.)

Post Thanks / Like

Agree 100% with the suggested fix.
    Timing of thread is interesting as I too had to recently replace my short return line on an older TIG cooler. Used some fiber reinforced tubing from hardware store. Viola, up and and running again in no time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steveoo View Post
    Used some fiber reinforced tubing from hardware store. Viola, up and and running again in no time.
    Thanks, Steveoo. Curious what type of tubing you used. Was it that clear stuff (polyethylene I think) with the white netting-like reinforcing fiber?
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Miller 330 A/BP
    Miller Big Blue 251D

Post Thanks / Like

Without a picture, im guessing that your leak is in the middle somewhere on the hose so what about going with something like this in the size you need and in brass: https://www.mcmaster.com/5351k11 then get some of those shark bite type of connectors: https://www.mcmaster.com/52545k45 or just some regular hose clamps....

If it's on the ends of the hose i would go with something like this: https://www.arc-zone.com/Hose-Repair-Kit-A-HRG-316BR

If neither of those fixes would work then i would just get on google and look around for the brass fittings that WOULD work for your situation.

If all else fails.... just buy a new one and be done with it!
    Last edited by songer121; 03-12-2019 at 09:22 AM.

2017 Everlast Powertig 210 EXT with a CK 20 and water cooler
    Miller Multimatic 215
    Hypertherm Powermax 45 XP

Post Thanks / Like

The 5200 will work, I've used it many times on low-pressure hose and tires. I just replaced a bunch of tig gas and water lines that were failing and they were all around 20 years old but these were all from miller. I doubt the imported stuff thats going around now will last that long, I think the China hose is made from our old tires.

CR

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks fellas. I tried the 5200 with fabric reinforcement (applied the gook on Saturday, it takes some time to cure) and just hooked it up and tried it this morning, and no leaks.

If anyone else wants to replace this same hose in the future, I found what appears to be an equivalent – Lenco #LWH-18LH – at weldingsupply.com for about $16 +$9.50 S/H. Still fugly but a lot better than almost $50 delivered!

WeldTec/TecTorch also makes an equivalent:
    http://www.tectorch.com/WeldTec%20Qu..._side_hose.pdf
    but I don't know the price.
    Last edited by Kelvin; 03-12-2019 at 09:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

We blow hoses regularly. and sometimes swap in doubled ended hose barbs to cut out the broken section as a temp fix

10. Likes MinnesotaDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ditto the comments for a standard double ended hose barb. I use stainless steel safety wire as a clamp with them.

My factory hoses on my 2005 vintage Syncrowave 250DX lasted about 10 years before they started leaking.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. Looks like some double-ended hose barbs are in my future.

Quote Originally Posted by scsmith42 View Post
    My factory hoses on my 2005 vintage Syncrowave 250DX lasted about 10 years before they started leaking.
    Hmmm...I'm knocking on the door of 10 years old with mine. When you say the hoses started leaking, do you mean also the torch water/conductor hose? And is there a way to rebuild that? (I'm not sure what would be involved in fishing the conductor through the new hose, it sounds like a nightmare.) My torch is a WeldTec TecTorch WP-20H and it's also almost 10 years old. I'm hoping I don't have to buy a whole new torch/hose assembly if/when it starts leaking...

I appreciate all the help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    Thanks guys. Looks like some double-ended hose barbs are in my future.

Hmmm...I'm knocking on the door of 10 years old with mine. When you say the hoses started leaking, do you mean also the torch water/conductor hose? And is there a way to rebuild that? (I'm not sure what would be involved in fishing the conductor through the new hose, it sounds like a nightmare.) My torch is a WeldTec TecTorch WP-20H and it's also almost 10 years old. I'm hoping I don't have to buy a whole new torch/hose assembly if/when it starts leaking...

I appreciate all the help.
    Mine leaked the most from the TIG machine end. I had one leak on the torch head end which I was able to remove the connector and recrimp. As I recall (it’s been 5 years), I had leaks on the water/conductor hose as well as the high pressure hose. The high pressure hose had to be repaired about 3-4 times before I replaced it.

I repaired the water/conductor hose at the bottom by shortening it and reattaching the conductor.

Part of the problem was that the hoses near the machine were run over a couple of times after they were 8 years old. This did them in more than anything.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

I gotcha. Thanks for the information.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Miller 330 A/BP
    Miller Big Blue 251D

Post Thanks / Like

I have used basic electrical tape on leaks with great results

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Just because I'm a dumbass don't mean that you can be too.
    So DON'T try any of this **** l do at home.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I waste money cause I just replace the hose if it gets a leak in in.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zapster View Post
    I have used basic electrical tape on leaks with great results
    Thanks, Zapster, that's surprising but good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by mechanic416 View Post
    I guess I waste money cause I just replace the hose if it gets a leak in in.
    Yep, and I light my Cohibas with hundred-dollar bills, but $50 for an 18" hose is kinda steep. YMMV

Syncrowave 250DX
    Miller 330 A/BP
    Miller Big Blue 251D

Post Thanks / Like

You better stop wasting those 100 dollar bills and save them for a new torch.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

Post Thanks / Like

Send me your mailing address.
    I'll send you 4' of Miller new rubber with black sheath water hose, plus 2 stainless twisties to secure hose.
    You can go to ARC Zone website to see how to use twisties with their set up a torch video. Then just cover each end of hose with electrical shrink sleeve.

Estate631959@yahoo.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Estate631959 View Post
    Send me your mailing address.
    I'll send you 4' of Miller new rubber with black sheath water hose, plus 2 stainless twisties to secure hose.
    You can go to ARC Zone website to see how to use twisties with their set up a torch video. Then just cover each end of hose with electrical shrink sleeve.

Estate631959@yahoo.com
    Thanks, Estate, that's very kind of you and I appreciate your offer, but I think I've got it fixed now. If not, I'll send you an email – or may buy some cheap hose that I found on ebay – but again, thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Just go to an hydraulic shop and buy some hose and replace it. Sooner or later you're going to have to buy new tires for the truck too.
    Do not believe everything that you think.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
    Just go to an hydraulic shop and buy some hose and replace it. Sooner or later you're going to have to buy new tires for the truck too.
    Hydraulic hose? For tig water hose?

Eh?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    Hydraulic hose? For tig water hose?

Eh?
    They do have low pressure hose that is perfect for this. Many do other types of hose/tubing also.

Scroll down to bottom of page.

https://www.thehydraulichose.com/hyd...ulic-hose.html
    Last edited by danielplace; 01-06-2021 at 10:49 PM.

24. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am wondering what the ROI is when you can buy built standard water hoses reasonably enough. This one is $14.70 with free shipping for a 25ft. length.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TIG-Torch-W...IAAOSw64Nco692

Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

^that. That was my point. And for those of you who have never set foot in an hydraulic shop, they usually sell every kind of hose there.
    Do not believe everything that you think.

27. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
    Year and a half old thread, pretty sure he fixed it.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist