+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seized Bolts

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Seized Bolts

Quote Originally Posted by albrightree View Post
    Years ago I bought a box of some kind of special welding rod from the Chronatron(now Lawson Ind.) salesman. It was for getting broken bolts out, it was expensive for a 5 lb. box . Every now and then, I dig them out and use it for the larger, more difficult ones.
    Yeah, I bought a welder several years ago. It came with lots of extras. Among them was a fancy steel suitcase full of SMAW rods. Among them was a stud extraction rod. The flux was said to protect the female threads from damage. It was Certanium.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    Yeah, I bought a welder several years ago. It came with lots of extras. Among them was a fancy steel suitcase full of SMAW rods. Among them was a stud extraction rod. The flux was said to protect the female threads from damage. It was Certanium.
    O
    Call aVe immediately. I love comedy "products" with a good review like he does. Keep your vice in a miss.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    O
    Call aVe immediately. I love comedy "products" with a good review like he does. Keep your vice in a miss.
    I've had it in its little case several years. The guy I bought it from had it perhaps twenty years before that. I didn't say I used it, or believed it. It was not an endorsement, just a comment on another post.

I'm of the belief that no endorphins are gained from miracle products. The grindingly long suffering of welding to a broken stud 1/8" below the surface, bringing it up enough to weld a nut, or a ball for vice grips, breaking it off, repeat, will satisfy after a couple hours.

It has never failed, but has seriously frustrated. (I tend to have engine blocks that spend 50 years in a junkyard before I rescue them).

The magic isn't magic at all. It is Minnesota magic: Physics. A rusted bolt swells. Heat a broken bolt, it tries to swell. It can't swell. It is crushed. It then cools, and shrinks.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Dave r gave you some good advice

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    If the bolt is deep in the hole, use the stainless rod , like Eutectic 680 or Allstate rod for broken bolts or plain 316. build a small nub on the bolt. Slag will go to the outside. keep building until it gets outside the hole and you can weld a nut to it.

Works for me lots of times. We kind of specialize in broken bolts here. People bring them to us.....

Next time I will take pictures.

David
    Pretty much the way I get to it. Either that or my mini Milawukaeesan mag drill and a 3 1/6 end mill(when there's a lil room) I seldom run into something I cant get after with a mig and a grade 5 nut or a good lefty drill bit but man, a broke bolt can drive a man back to drinking.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist