Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleaning recycled steel

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning recycled steel

7014, 6013, 7018...………….all drag rods. You'll be golden

Just point the rod into the joint at a 45* angle, and drag it. Don't move it, don't play with it, don't massage it, don't think it's yer p'cker………….just run it. You'll love it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    7014, 6013, 7018....all drag rods. You'll be golden...
    Well, 7014 is certainly a lot easier (for me) than 6011. So much smoother and easier to control. I had a little bit of a hard time getting it to lay down as much as I wanted, but Im sure a lot of that is because I put the pipes together without a bevel. Most of this joint will get cut away to mate with the larger pipe, so Im not too concerned.

I have a long, long way to go before I would say I can stick weld at all, but for hacking things together in the garage, Im pleased for now. And my wife will be happy that Im at least trying to use the steel tables I picked up for free (hence the need to clean my steel)

I figured I would run a stick of 6011 for comparison and holy moly I really struggle with it. In the back of this picture are the 6011 beads with 7014 in front:

Post Thanks / Like

Bead closest to the edge of the plate looks good. A tad inconsistent at the very end, but other than that I would say you are progressing nicely. I would suggest you have a look at some videos online (such as Jody in Weldingtipsandtricks) to get a feel of what you should be trying to do. Best of luck!

Post Thanks / Like

If, and I'm only saying "if".....you're holding the rod holder/stinger in such a way that your hand is starting to fry near the end of the weld......do something different, like holding it down near the cable.

Just sayin'....looks like you're getting in a hurry near the end of the rod. Hot hands will do that

I like to hold the rod near the arc between my fingers, while holding the stinger with my other hand. Helps to stabilize the rod when it's long, and hasn't started to really burn down. But I make sure my other hand is in the position I want, so that I can remove my fingers when they get hot.

Another thing that might be going on... Before you strike your arc, do a practice "run". Make sure your hands/body/head are free to complete the weld without having to contort your body before the bead is finished.

7014 is coming alongName:  tkqe4fh-smiley-two-thumbs-up175028_285604.gif
Views: 122
Size:  1.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
    Bead closest to the edge of the plate looks good. A tad inconsistent at the very end, but other than that I would say you are progressing nicely. I would suggest you have a look at some videos online (such as Jody in Weldingtipsandtricks) to get a feel of what you should be trying to do. Best of luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    If, and I'm only saying "if".....you're holding the rod holder/stinger in such a way that your hand is starting to fry near the end of the weld......do something different, like holding it down near the cable.

Just sayin'....looks like you're getting in a hurry near the end of the rod. Hot hands will do that

I like to hold the rod near the arc between my fingers, while holding the stinger with my other hand. Helps to stabilize the rod when it's long, and hasn't started to really burn down. But I make sure my other hand is in the position I want, so that I can remove my fingers when they get hot.

Another thing that might be going on... Before you strike your arc, do a practice "run". Make sure your hands/body/head are free to complete the weld without having to contort your body before the bead is finished.

7014 is coming alongName:  tkqe4fh-smiley-two-thumbs-up175028_285604.gif
Views: 122
Size:  1.1 KB
    Thank you both for the encouragement and advice. It wasn't that my hands got hot, but somehow things were definitely out of shape towards the end of the bead. I'm sure once I get some significant practice things will improve. (I have looked at Jody's videos, but no doubt could use another review.)

I'm also convinced my machine is not working right, as the arc sounds identical when set to AC as when set to DC. That is definitely not the case for TIG, and from what I can tell from videos, that shouldn't be the case for stick either. I am not overly concerned, since it seems to be running okay (7014 was great; 6011 went out periodically but I think that's because I wasn't sufficiently feeding the rod.)

I will practice some more and will post when I do some work on the actual project. Hopefully this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Only time I ever ran 7014 was about 20yrs ago when I rebuilt my stock trailer, so I can't say what it should sound like.

I do know that usually AC will run with a snappy sound, while DC will run with a smoother sound. I believe it's a function of the alternating current when running on AC. 7018AC, even with the arc stabilizers in the flux, will run absolutely LOUD on AC. It's so annoying that I wear earplugs if I have to run any meaningful amount of it.

Post Thanks / Like

7014 sounds fairly equal to me on AC or Dc. Sounds a lot like dual shield wire.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.