Thread: Trailblazer 250g

Post Thanks / Like

Trailblazer 250g

Hi,
    Father has a trailblazer 250g only like 220 hours on it mint condition. Mostly was used with a spool gun welding aluminum /sometimes steel on in field jobs etc.
    I have a canox( same as miller thunderbolt) ac/dc stick welder. I'm free to use the trailblazer so I put the stick leads on it, first time we have run stick on it.. Wow it's so much smoother than my canox. Burned the 7018s beautifully. Just wondering if there was any big issues with these welders with the onan engines? Going to use it more now since it's no good sitting around.

Didn't realize there was such a difference in arc quality on stick, tried dads powermig 300 on stick and it was very smooth too but that one will be staying as a mig welder.
    Are the new trailblazers even smoother than the older 250g? Any big differences between engine drive welders arc quality? No real reason for the questions just curiosity.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trailblazer 250g

I had a first run TB and had it for 18 years before I sold it and bought a new one. I've always thought it welded smoother than my new one. Many times I wish I hadn't sold it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nick121 View Post
    Hi,
    Father has a trailblazer 250g only like 220 hours on it mint condition. Mostly was used with a spool gun welding aluminum /sometimes steel on in field jobs etc.
    I have a canox( same as miller thunderbolt) ac/dc stick welder. I'm free to use the trailblazer so I put the stick leads on it, first time we have run stick on it.. Wow it's so much smoother than my canox. Burned the 7018s beautifully. Just wondering if there was any big issues with these welders with the onan engines? Going to use it more now since it's no good sitting around.

Didn't realize there was such a difference in arc quality on stick, tried dads powermig 300 on stick and it was very smooth too but that one will be staying as a mig welder.
    Are the new trailblazers even smoother than the older 250g? Any big differences between engine drive welders arc quality? No real reason for the questions just curiosity.
    The Trailblazers run a 3 phase generator rectified to DC, makes them a whole lot smoother than a Bobcat or most plug in DC machines using single phase AC. Only thing better is a pure DC Generator like the Lincoln SA200.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I can't say I have welded with a whole lot of machines but it definitely seemed pretty smooth to me.

Post Thanks / Like

when I was looking to replace my old 250G TB as it was past worn out I was comparing the new Kohler pwered ones and they were smooth but not as much as my old onan powered TB then an ad for an estate sale came up on local OFFER UP... I picked up a 1996 TB for $550 that only had 45 hours on it.. hadda rebuild carb and clean slip rings, hadda clean the dried caked dialectric grease outa the switch contacts but once that was done its sooooooo smooth! I would feel guilty bout gettin it at only $550 but nobody else would touch it as it didn't run.. all I needed was a look at the hour meter, and I should have my right arm outa the sling soon from tryin to get my wallet out too fast but no tellin how long I'll keep lookin over my shoulder cause at $550 I deffinetly stole the thing
    Last edited by monsoon-mech; 05-26-2019 at 11:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Now that... Is a smoking deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monsoon-mech View Post
    when I was looking to replace my old 250G TB as it was past worn out I was comparing the new Kohler pwered ones and they were smooth but not as much as my old onan powered TB then an ad for an estate sale came up on local OFFER UP... I picked up a 1996 TB for $550 that only had 45 hours on it.. hadda rebuild carb and clean slip rings, hadda clean the dried caked dialectric grease outa the switch contacts but once that was done its sooooooo smooth! I would feel guilty bout gettin it at only $550 but nobody else would touch it as it didn't run.. all I needed was a look at the hour meter, and I should have my right arm outa the sling soon from tryin to get my wallet out too fast but no tellin how long I'll keep lookin over my shoulder cause at $550 I deffinetly stole the thing
    If you get to feeling too guilty about the deal I'll take it off your hands for what you paid for it.... might help your conscience feel better I mean you can't go through life with all that hanging over your head!!! I want you to feel good about yourself so I am willing to step in and help you out

Post Thanks / Like

Yes they run nice. Keep the oil changed and check it every time before you start it up and it should give a long service life.