Thread: Powermig 300 feeding issues

Post Thanks / Like

Powermig 300 feeding issues

Hi, Having a wire feeding issue with a powermig 300.
    Has the magnum 300 gun, used to only be used for aluminum with a push pull gun for years and lots of hours. Welder is in immaculate shape still. Has had this magnum 300 gun on it for a few years but not a whole lot of use anymore.
    Worked fine for a while but then started having feeding issues, erratic arc and slight vibration in the gun tube wire would occasions stop then pop out of the tip a few seconds later. Changed the liner tonight, new tip even new gas diffuser.
    Going to double check where the gun plugs in to the machine. Is it supposed to pop in to place or not? Have changed out the ground clamp just to be sure.

Still going to unhook the ground lug and check it for corrosion etc. But im running out of potential problems and it's still not feeding quite right.
    When it does feed nice it really welds fine but in almost any weld it will act up for a least a second.

Have tried different drive tension etc, Cleaned the wire feed assembly and rolls.

Could it possibly be something in the gun itself?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Powermig 300 feeding issues

If it has knurled wheels in it from the aluminum change them to smooth or you will be smoking the liner right up.

Post Thanks / Like

Smooth rollers in it, Seems to be better with the new liner but still just not quite right. I was welding with co2, switched over to 90/10 and it ran that fine in spray arc. But I know it has feed issues still sometimes. Will have to play with the drive tension a bit more.

Post Thanks / Like

How long a whip is it? By push/pull you mean it USED to be, and now just a standard push setup with the magnum 300 gun?

Is the liner fitted correctly?

https://www.lincolnelectric.com/asse...oln3/im381.pdf

Knock the tension off the feed rollers, and try the following:
    - pull wire from the torch end using bare hands (put a loop in the wire to help you grip it). pull it out a few metres.
    - using the wire reel, reel it back in.

It should pull in and out nicely without too much effort. If it's hard work, then its in your setup somewhere. Either the liner is wrong, or damaged somewhere already, or the new tip is already damaged, something like that.

If it's nice and smooth, then perhaps the issue is in the drive motor. You want enough tension to push the wire, but if you stub it into a corner and try to feed (without any arc) the rollers should slip on the wire and keep turning. I usually add just a little bit more tension than this. If the feed rollers stall easily, then probably a weak motor or weak electrical feed to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you munkul.
    Yes used to have a push pull gun on it now it has the the magnum 300 15 foot push gun.
    I will check that and see if it's a issues with my gun/liner or drive system.

Post Thanks / Like

What you describe is common for when the liner is worn out or the tip.
    If you run a tip to long the wire starts arcing inside the liner and making it rough.
    Then while welding the wire swill stick to the liner and stop feeding. then when you move the gun the wire pops
    out about 1/4 inch. You what V groove drive rolls for hard wire, V- knurled for flux core and U groove for Aluminum and other very soft wires. Feed wire into the air and the by the drive pinch the wire between your fingers. should not be able to stop the wire. If drive rolls bad you will be able to feel them slip. Make sure new liner is right size for wire used. AND make sure it is not to long for the miggun. when you install the diffuser it should touch the liner but not push it into the gun. a to long liner crammed into the gun will cause feeding problems. A short liner causes loading problems. If you cause enough feeding problem
    in the gun. That causes the motor to work to hard the control pcb will turn off the motor.

Post Thanks / Like

ccawgc:

You might be on to something with the drive rolls... There's a chance they are U groove from aluminum feeding. Would that cause issues with steel?

I trimmed the new liner to what the manual recommends, I believe 9/16". Could it be that that is just a bit too long even though thst what the book calls for?

Post Thanks / Like

I have U rolls in my Miller feeder, never ever an issue. I barely need any tension on them either. It's a 4 roll feeder but the powermig 2 roll feeder looks pretty decent, I don't think you'll have any issue with U rolls.