Thread: I'm a pipe Welding/Pipe fitting instructor and this is my class.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a pipe Welding/Pipe fitting instructor and this is my class.

Hello everyone.

My name is Kyle Miller. I am the pipe welding and pipe fitting instructor at Bellingham Technical College in Washington State. I have created this account as a group learning experiment with the goal of exposing students to the different
    (sometimes crazy) places that the pipe trades have taken us all and will hopefully take them as well.

My students will be assigned to engage in the following throughout the remainder of their graduating quarter:

-Posing a question to industry through a new thread.
    -----------> engaging in response.
    -Contributing to conversations with advice for prospective welders/students.
    -posting pictures of their current work.

As an instructor whose Pipe Welding background is primarily in petro-chem/refining I want my students to be able to engage with people who deal with different environments; codes outside of ASME B31.3 for instance.
    It is my hope that many people on this forum (which I've frequented over the years independently) will be willing to interact with my students in a respectful but also real manner. i.e. my students range in age, ethnicity, gender etc. please be considerate of that when communicating with them.

finally. I have found, during my time in the field, that technical colleges and "welding schools" have a less that stellar reputation for quality of content/output. As a newly hired instructor it is my sincere goal to bridge some of the gaps and blind spots that I experienced during my time in a welding program. By using platforms such as this forum, mixed media, CAD/matching ISO examples, and other modern teaching approaches combined with classic field layout/fit-up techniques, odd roll branch connections and restricted access tie-in's/repairs. I would like to see my students set up to be immediately safe, competent and "useful" on the job site, and not a code liability.

Thanks everyone for the great environment on this forum. Please stay keep an eye out for incoming posts. I hope to get to communicate more in the future.
    Bellingham Technical College
    Pipe Welding and Pipe Fitting _ Instructor/Students
    AWS Accredited Test Facility

Kyle Miller
    Welding Technologies instructor - Pipe Trades

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I'm a pipe Welding/Pipe fitting instructor and this is my class.

Welcome.

I'm sure you will be able to contribute as much as you learn.
    Red Seal Journeyman Welder (2003), Red Seal Journeyman Metal Fabricator (2018), Welding Engineering Technologist (2005)
    Pressure - ASME Section IX
    Structural - CSA W47.1, CSA W47.2
    Transport tanker - CSA B620
    Aerospace - AWS D17.1

Post Thanks / Like

GREAT idea and use of the forum, I have no doubt it's going to be mutually rewarding and I'm looking forward to the content/discussions that result,welcome

Post Thanks / Like

If your students use this forum correctly and for many years they will be light years ahead of others in the trade. When I was young I would have loved to have access to the experience and diversity of the trade that is on this forum. Not just for pipe welding either. Welcome !

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!
    IMPEACH BIDEN!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD HELP AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from NE GA . You may also want to tell your students that there will be basically two ways to go in welding , field work , or shop work , and then they both split into three sub categories . The first being pipeline work , structural work , or plant shut downs [ maintenance ] . The later being shipyard , railroad , or job shop . Almost anything outside these categories will be survival money ! This comes from nearly 30 years experience . There are lots of knowledgeable men on here that have experience in almost any imaginable field of work .

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Kyle,
    I a wanna-be weldor, member for many years, looking forward to following your thread!
    Bruce
    The Welding Chef
    Lincoln Weld-Pack 3200
    NORWELD Stick
    Stanford Hill Farm