+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Firepower 220i Wire Feed Problem

Post Thanks / Like

Firepower 220i Wire Feed Problem

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone else has, or had, problems with the wire feeding on this Firepower.

I have tried .030 (flux), .035 (flux and solid), .024 (solid) and all of them feed poorly.

I switched from .030 to ,035 because the .030 wouldn't feed. The .024 would bird nest about every 20 seconds of welding.

I currently have .035 solid wire in the machine. I am using the smooth roll. I turned the pressure on the feed wheel up until the wire would curl when placed against a piece of metal. Even then, it slips and does not give a smooth curl.

If I keep the cable perfectly straight, it feeds OK. The second I turn my wrist to weld, the wire slips. It's like there is a super lube on the wheel, or wire.

I have owned this machine since it was new. The wire feed has maybe 2 hours of use. I can't imagine the liner is defective, or bad.

I used knurled wheels for the flux core wire, and smooth wheels for the solid wire.

I had a Millermatic 252, and currently have a Multimaster 260. Didn't have any problem with either of them feeding wire.

Any help you folks could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Firepower 220i Wire Feed Problem

Try using the knurled roll for solid wire, make sure the backend of the gun is seated all the way in socket and put a new tip in. If that does not work then the liner could have got kinked or crud down inside, it's cheap and might solve the frustration. On the drive rolls a little scotchbrite and carb cleaner always take the "slick" off.
    ESAB Rebels 215 and 235, ESAB HELIARC 281i, ESAB ET 301i, Hypertherm 85 and 45XP, Thermal Arc 185, TD 60i, HTP PRO PULSE 300

Post Thanks / Like

I finally figured it out. I don't weld too often so it took a while.

When I swapped out the contact tip, the liner was sticking out so far that I could not screw the nozzle on. I walked back the welder carrying the gun. The liner retracted to the normal stick out length.

I trimmed the liner 3/16", and it feeds perfect. There is still a small amount of stick out on the liner to compress the tip when I put the nozzle on.

Now very light drive roll pressure feeds it smooth.

I ordered a new mig gun yesterday from USAWeld. The trigger on this one started sticking, feeding wire constantly. Between that, and the non standard consumables, I said enough.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Just an update in case anyone searches for information on this problem.

Spoiler alert, take it in for service while under warranty.

After I adjusted the liner, I still was having that feeding problem at times. Very sporadic.

I found out that our marketing guy is a certified welder, so I asked him to take a look at it. It took him maybe 30 seconds to figure it out. And 10 of those was rolling his sleeves up.

He opened the door and watched the spool while pulling the trigger. The roll would spin for a few seconds, then stop, then start to spin again. Hardware problem.

I took it in to General Air for service. They replaced 2 boards under warranty, and the unit works great.

For 2 years I kind of regretted buying this machine because every time I tried to use the machine, it would stop feeding and blow holes through the metal.

I have had a chance to use it several times since getting it back. I used flux core on 1/16" steel with no problems. 1/4" was a cake walk. I was having such a good time using flux core, that I have not hooked up my gas yet, but I will.

I am very happy with this welder.

I hope this helps someone else with the same problem.

Steve

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist