+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trisect A Line With a Compass, Straight Edge, And Marking Device

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Trisect A Line With a Compass, Straight Edge, And Marking Device

This is pretty cool you can actually trisect a line with just a compass and a straight edge. It was in an old book I had, I mean like really old.

You just swing two arcs up to form the large triangle, then bisect the sides and you have the center point, then just swing two arcs the length of the midpoint of the height of the will be little triangle and get a thirty degree side of the smaller triangle. It is pretty cool, all you need is a compass and a straight edge or even a string, and of course a marking device.

Name:  Trisect.png
Views: 1773
Size:  119.8 KB

I have some others for making circles inside of circles pretty cool stuff.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trisect A Line With a Compass, Straight Edge, And Marking Device

This is pretty easy but cool.

Name:  circlesintriangle.png
Views: 1012
Size:  70.8 KB

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

This is six circles in a cirlcle. All these are done without a tape measure or protractor.

Name:  multiple circles in a circle.png
Views: 1771
Size:  113.5 KB

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

Dave, would you concur? That it can be done with just a compass/dividers, a string or straight edge, and a marking device?

You would not even need a square.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

That is interesting. in the first sketch, It is also a pictorial/proof representation of how/why you can take a line/rule of known length/division(blue) and divide a line of unknown length (Green).

Even shows similar triangles and how the divide the green line.

Lots of ways to torture young geometry students and have parent calling admin claiming irrelevance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    That is interesting. in the first sketch, It is also a pictorial/proof representation of how/why you can take a line/rule of known length/division(blue) and divide a line of unknown length (Green).

Even shows similar triangles and how the divide the green line.

Lots of ways to torture young geometry students and have parent calling admin claiming irrelevance.
    Oh yea you can just use the old variable increment on an angle and do the same. But I thought that was pretty cool.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

Way to much work. Draw a second line at an angle below the first, with the same starting point. Say at 30 to 45 degrees to the first, and about half again to twice as long. Now set your compass to a distance about 1/4 to 1/3 the length of the second line, and divide the second line. You don't have to be accurate as to meeting the end of the second line, anything short is useful. Draw a line from the last compass point on the second line to the end of the first line. Now draw two lines parallel to the end point line, intersecting the points found when you stepped off the second line with your compass. This divides your first line into three parts.

The good thing about this method is it works for any number of divisions, limited only by the size and neatness of your technique.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist