+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ?? warpage/shrinkage - butt welding 1/8" sheets together ??

Post Thanks / Like

?? warpage/shrinkage - butt welding 1/8" sheets together ??

I seldomly mig, and asking for some advice. I have a flatbed pickup, thats wood. I'm planning on leaving the wood there, and lay some partial sheets of 1/8" sheets I got laying around over the wood, and weld them together and to peremiter of the bed. When finished I'd like the metal skin flat as reasonably possible. I'm not sure best way to go about it. I plan on notching out a narrow shallow valley across the wood, the length of the welds to prevent weld-wood contamination
    Not sure whether to just open root the square butt weld (id be happy w/ 80% pen), or if laying a flatbar backing strip into the wooden valleys at the seems, would give me a flatter end result.

Not sure what wire size, how much I should gap, or if I stitch/jump around, whether gaps will start to close/tighten on me, or thickness of flat bar backing if used.
    I'm looking to keep experminting to a minimum, so any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.
    Last edited by 123weld; 05-11-2019 at 12:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ?? warpage/shrinkage - butt welding 1/8" sheets together ??

I would use the backer and gap the sheet about 1/8". Tack about every 6" starting in on direction and working to the other. Leave some gap on perimeter, 1/16"-1/8" and same deal tack from one corner, outward both ways. Leave the opposite corner alone, then tack and weld into that direction. If the gap closes up, you may need to open it up with a cutting wheel. Set your welder fairly hot and travel as fast as possible to reduce heat input.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

Post Thanks / Like

Trash the wood. Build a bed frame from 3" channel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    I would use the backer and gap the sheet about 1/8". Tack about every 6" starting in on direction and working to the other. Leave some gap on perimeter, 1/16"-1/8" and same deal tack from one corner, outward both ways. Leave the opposite corner alone, then tack and weld into that direction. If the gap closes up, you may need to open it up with a cutting wheel. Set your welder fairly hot and travel as fast as possible to reduce heat input.
    gotcha, thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Trash the wood. Build a bed frame from 3" channel.
    lol, no thanks. my energy/time is limited

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    I seldomly mig, and asking for some advice. I have a flatbed pickup, thats wood. I'm planning on leaving the wood there, and lay some partial sheets of 1/8" sheets I got laying around over the wood, and weld them together and to peremiter of the bed. When finished I'd like the metal skin flat as reasonably possible. I'm not sure best way to go about it. I plan on notching out a narrow shallow valley across the wood, the length of the welds to prevent weld-wood contamination
    Not sure whether to just open root the square butt weld (id be happy w/ 80% pen), or if laying a flatbar backing strip into the wooden valleys at the seems, would give me a flatter end result.

Not sure what wire size, how much I should gap, or if I stitch/jump around, whether gaps will start to close/tighten on me, or thickness of flat bar backing if used.
    I'm looking to keep experminting to a minimum, so any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.
    if it was up to me i would just drill holes in through the metal, counter sink them and then screw the plate down. im too lazy to not keep things simple, xcept when its my project, im to lazy to make it simple lol. This way u dont have to worry about this warpage thing if u want it dead flat to whatevr tolerance 1/100"

Post Thanks / Like

If u can clamp it down it would be best. And if u can do that reasonably id feel comfortable butt welding two sheets of 1/8” together without significant wapage. U prob will have a little to be honest so idk how picky you will be.

Dynasty 200DX (2014)
    Millermatic 211 (2015)
    Optrel 864 (2014)
    Smith Medium duty MBA 30510 (Xmas 2014)
    Tennsmith 16ga 4ft finger brake (2015)
    Trailblazer 325 EFI and excel
    Thermal dynamics Cutmaster 82
    Miller maxtron 450

Post Thanks / Like

i'm not that picky, ill tack/weld both ends or something, then do it. maybe even lay some heavy stuff on it. ill play it by ear, thanks

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist