+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: We are welding the wrong stuff- $91 million rabbit!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: We are welding the wrong stuff- $91 million rabbit!

Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    don't go there with rolex. they were the inventors of the self wind mechanism. my submariner chronometer looses two seconds every couple months. imo worth every penny.
    Jaeger-LeCoultre invented the self wind mechanism, AND the ball bearing required to make it work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post

From my own perspective, working as a blacksmith today pretty much sucks just as much as it did back in the 1500's. The average smith gets stuck trying to make ends meet, forging one simple wall hook after another because that's what sells to the average person. What ends up happening is that you don't have the time or energy or money to buy better tools, try new techniques, go to classes to learn new things.... because you're busy trying to find yet another average customer willing to pay $35 for a bottle opener instead of $2 for a mass-produced opener from the dollar store.

When you do luck into someone that'll buy $140 worth of stuff, that's a huge windfall that makes you giddy for days! I can't imagine someone saying they needed 30 pieces a month, every month, for a year or two. That kind of contract really opens the doors to bigger and better things because it's something you can bank on. Heck even a 10-piece contract is better than having to hunt down ten individual sales.
    Well said. I've always had issues with the saying "do what you love and the money will follow". That's not real life, it's just an emotion driven nice saying for someones wall plaque. Sometimes it actually happens but it's not an absolute truth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
    Well said. I've always had issues with the saying "do what you love and the money will follow". That's not real life, it's just an emotion driven nice saying for someones wall plaque. Sometimes it actually happens but it's not an absolute truth.
    Thank you, and you're absolutely right --- it's a very dumb saying. People only like it because it makes them feel all warm and fuzzy for a few minutes. 99% of folks don't do what they love for a living because they know they can't make a living at it. Heck, most folks don't even have something that they love to do.

We'll likely never know how this artist guy got his break. All we do know is that it was a long line of fortuitous events combined with a modicum of talent, and none of it would have been possible without wealthy folks giving him money.

Kudos to him. If any of you know some wealthy folks looking for some ironwork, feel free to point them in my direction. I'll even give you a finder's fee!!!

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=rlitman;8698921]Jaeger-LeCoultre invented the self wind mechanism, AND the ball bearing required to make it work.[/QUOTE
    it depends how you google the question. since i'm a consumer of the product i'll stick to mine
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

I saw them in person, and must admit they are kind of amazing. At $91 million probably a little overpriced, but still amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SqWave 200
    Millermatic 190
    Airco 200 AC
    Hypertherm PM45
    Boice-Crane Band Saw
    Victor O/A

Post Thanks / Like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SqWave 200
    Millermatic 190
    Airco 200 AC
    Hypertherm PM45
    Boice-Crane Band Saw
    Victor O/A

Post Thanks / Like

The rabbit is code for some weird perversions and the 91 mil is probably hush money.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist