Thread: Trenching bucket for skid steer

Post Thanks / Like

Trenching bucket for skid steer

Finished a shop for a friend and neighbor and needed to dig a couple trenches. He was going to buy a trenching bucket as we both have skid steers. They were close to a grand so I decided to build one. I cut all my pieces out of some large tapered beams he had in his pasture. Labor intensive but the price was right. I already had a back plate, pieces of cutting edges and tooth sockets. The only thing we needed to buy was teeth. We've already dug both his trenches and it has worked out great. Well worth the time and effort.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trenching bucket for skid steer

Works great.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job.

Post Thanks / Like

bob; great re-purposing of used material. not too shabby in the welding dept either.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome job - I dig it
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work, Bob.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

that looks great now you can make one of the kind that the bucket is the opposite direction like a backhoe bucket and back drag and pull out the dirt making a trench ;-)
    Lincoln AC 225 - S
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 ( 1980 )
    Oxy/Acet Victor Gauges/Purox Torch
    Hypertherm Powermax 800
    Miller Digital Elite US Flag

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by searcyfarms View Post
    that looks great now you can make one of the kind that the bucket is the opposite direction like a backhoe bucket and back drag and pull out the dirt making a trench ;-)
    I'm thinking this is what I would do if I made one... that way you wouldn't have to drive over any areas that are already dug!!! around here some of the soil types just wouldn't do well driving over an already dug trench... even a shallow one.

@Bob: Nice work on using what you had laying around Looks like it does what you need it to do which is the most important thing!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty slick lookin!!

2017 Everlast Powertig 210 EXT with a CK 20 and water cooler
    Miller Multimatic 215
    Hypertherm Powermax 45 XP

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty neat thing there.

Around here, you might be able to use it on a construction site that's mostly backfill...….but on virgin ground, no way.....we have tight ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Pretty neat thing there.

Around here, you might be able to use it on a construction site that's mostly backfill...….but on virgin ground, no way.....we have tight ground.
    It'll work on virgin native soils just fine I seen guys using forklifts( with the forks) to dig trenches when it was the only tool they had other than a hand shovel and the ground was hard pan/ glacial til almost like cement treated!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Pretty neat thing there.

Around here, you might be able to use it on a construction site that's mostly backfill....but on virgin ground, no way.....we have tight ground.
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing.... the first new england "egg" would stop you in yer tracks.... nice for soft ground though...

and now a little yankee ingenuity...

Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

It has actually worked well here where there is little to no dirt but all caliche and small limestone. All the power of the machine going down to 12" wide. There are videos on line of people digging trenches with them but it's always in diet. It's amazing how fast you can dig a trench with one. I'm moving soon and needed it for trenches to the new shop and house as well as planting new fruit trees.

Post Thanks / Like

its amazing how much dirt can be moved with a big skid steer and a toothed bucket, I have seen of that style bucket being used for digging out stumps, 12" or smaller it just pops them out. I borrow one of these when I have to dig ditches though
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm intrigued at the different soils in this world. In some parts of the world a bulldozer is useless without a ripper. Where I live the average soil particle is 36" diameter. I have land 3 miles away where it's 3' to bedrock with sand above. A machine works well in Texas, would be useless in VT. If it works where you are I'm pleased. I have seen forks used this way with some success if no rocks.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, any rocks bigger than 4-6 inches makes things interesting... A buddy of mine has a dozen or so forklifts and he can do just about anything except cook dinner with them I gotta tell you though it gets tense when you see a fork bend about 90 degrees and spring back to normal when the rock let's go !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    I'm intrigued at the different soils in this world. In some parts of the world a bulldozer is useless without a ripper. Where I live the average soil particle is 36" diameter. I have land 3 miles away where it's 3' to bedrock with sand above. A machine works well in Texas, would be useless in VT. If it works where you are I'm pleased. I have seen forks used this way with some success if no rocks.
    When they dug the hole for my septic tank, the bottom of the hole looked just like the top of the ground, small limestone rocks tapering to all edges. They are worthless for any thing. Two miles down the road, guy digs for his septic tank and pure dirt 9' deep. You can't figure it out no matter what.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by idacal View Post
    its amazing how much dirt can be moved with a big skid steer and a toothed bucket, I have seen of that style bucket being used for digging out stumps, 12" or smaller it just pops them out. I borrow one of these when I have to dig ditches though

They work well but I try to borrow one of these Name:  3BE88EBE-D8CC-40D1-AB6C-B220E35D9129.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  76.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, but you can't haul that on a 16', double axle trailer either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    You don't even have to go that far; while a well driller was doing a well for me with a compact glacial till he told me 5 miles away he went through a slit/clay hard as a brick, 10 miles away he had to case 140' because of the deep sand. Variety is a spice of life.
    Last edited by OMB; 05-26-2019 at 10:01 AM. Reason: spelling
    Thunderbolt AC/DC
    330AB/P + Bernard cooler
    Syncrowave 250
    Oxy/Ace torch
    Dayton 160 MIG
    6CF pot with 185 compressor
    Too much big equipment
    Even more small tools