Thread: Miller Dialarc HF fan made to run only when needed?

Post Thanks / Like

Miller Dialarc HF fan made to run only when needed?

Is there a way to change the fan in a Dialarc HF to only run when the machine needs cooling so I don't have to listen to the fan all the time? Most of my stick welding is with 1/8" or 3/32" electrodes and I rarely do a lot of sustained welding so I suspect that the fan would only need to be running a very small portion of the time.

I only recently got this particular machine and don't have a TIG setup for it so it is only being used for stick welding at this time.
    Lance

Miller/Smith heavy duty torch set
    Multimatic 255 w/MDX-250 EZ-Select gun
    9" Evolution circular saw

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Miller Dialarc HF fan made to run only when needed?

The fan in my old buzz box quit working. Since then I have only used it for small welds in cool temps. If its a hot day and I am doing more than tacking I will put a household fan up to the vents to move air across the transformer.

That said, the powered up welder with no fan still makes a fair amount of noise. It would be better to prepare/organize your welding tasks and shorten the amount of time you need the welder powered up.
    Century buzzbox that I learned on 40+ years ago (was Dad's)
    Crappy Century 110volt mig 70 amp pigeon pooper.
    Lincoln Idealarc TIG-300

Post Thanks / Like

I had an old Forney AC 225 amp welder that didn't come with a fan, just used natural air movement as it heated up.

That said, I sometimes would like to turn off the fan on my Syncrowave 350. It's pretty obnoxious.

I've welded with a Syncrowave 250 that had fan-on-demand. It was pretty nice
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, its possible, but not sure how advisable. https://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.ph...emand-retrofit

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all. Unless I can be sure that everything that really needs cooled will be cooled I won't make any changes as the welder isn't on for very long most of the time.
    Lance

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't understand all the complaints about the fan noise.
    The fan on my Lincoln 225 runs all the time and it doesn't bother me at all.
    In fact when I can't strike an arc the fan noise tells me the problem is the work clamp without even lifting my hood!

Next thing we will be hearing complaints about the noise that a grinder makes!

Post Thanks / Like

Well the fan on a big miller unit is huge, especially in comparison to the fan on a Lincoln 225. If memory serves me correctly the Lincoln 225 has a plastic fan that is approximately 4-6 inches in diameter. The big Miller boxes like the dialarc or my syncrowave, the fan is metal and like 14 inches in diameter. It really makes a LOT of noise, but I just live it personally.

Post Thanks / Like

The fan on my Syncrowave sounds like a jet taking off.
    I have looked at the field kit to make it fan on demand but never bothered to round up the parts.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't remember if it was Everlast or AHP, but either way, I was strongly advised against trying to do fan-on-demand on an inverter machine. At that point, I also quit trying to convert my Lincoln. Yeah, the noise can be annoying, but you get used to it, after awhile, you don't realize it's on. Kinda like when kids or wife are yakking away, you kinda tune it out, LOL. Just kidding, Honey! Seriously!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LanceR View Post
    Is there a way to change the fan in a Dialarc HF to only run when the machine needs cooling so I don't have to listen to the fan all the time? Most of my stick welding is with 1/8" or 3/32" electrodes and I rarely do a lot of sustained welding so I suspect that the fan would only need to be running a very small portion of the time.

I only recently got this particular machine and don't have a TIG setup for it so it is only being used for stick welding at this time.
    As Louie posted FOD is the slick way to do it.

i have the same wind/ noise problem with my Tig 300 300 Idealarc

as a test 1 day ran 4 5/32 7018 sticks in a row with the fan off

The stack of transformers /reactor core/main output windings/inducter barely produced any measurable heat with a temp gun and i couldn't tell any difference by putting my hand on the stack after unplugging the welder.

so i just exchanged the 2 receptacle outlet with a single receptacle and light switch on the front of the welder.

if running multiple sticks or Tigging at high amps on thick aluminum i just turn on the switch.
    iirc the fan is about 275 watts and about 14" diameter.

It is nice to be able to turn it off. The old industrial machines have Loud fans...
    Last edited by 455dan; 05-26-2019 at 12:21 AM.
    1962 Idealarc Tig 300 300
    1974 Idealarc Tig 300 300 ( till owner needs it back)
    1988 Power Mig 150 (.112 f cap mod)
    2015 Lotos Ltpdc2000d plasma/arc/tig
    Victor 100 torch, 200- 210 Oxy/Acet gauges

Post Thanks / Like

Before we sold our farm and downsized into semi-retirement my shop building was a 5800 square feet Morton steel building and 100 yards from the house. It didn't much matter how loud things were. Now, the fan issue with the Dialarc is not just an issue in the attached two car garage where it is but despite two layers of 5/8" drywall and another wall on the other side of the basement stairs that parallels the garage wall you can still hear the fan in the family room right through the steel fire door. It's not real loud but it is noticeable.

As the majority of my welding to date has been 1/8" or less and I rarely run more than 5-6 sticks at a time I'd like to quiet the welder down. I do want to step up to some bigger rods soon and maybe some TIG if I can scrounge the accessories at a reasonable price but still won't be welding as if I were in a production shop.

I've had a few Dialarc 250s and a Dialarc 250P and they are pretty simple inside. This Dialarc HF has a lot more components inside and I'm not really sure what are the ones most important to keep cool. If I knew what parts were the most likely to overheat I'd be a lot more confident in making it fan on demand.
    Lance

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rexcormack View Post
    I really don't understand all the complaints about the fan noise.

Sometimes being hard of hearing has a benefit. I know I wished for that condition when I was married.

Quote Originally Posted by vwguy3 View Post
    The fan on my Syncrowave sounds like a jet taking off.
    I have looked at the field kit to make it fan on demand but never bothered to round up the parts.
    My fan in the 330 makes the fan in the Syncrowave 250 sound like a whisper.

Sound intensity is inversely squared to the distance... simply weld further from the machine I'm here to help... if you find your beer getting warm too quickly, it helps to drink it faster.
    Thunderbolt AC/DC
    330AB/P + Bernard cooler
    Syncrowave 250
    Oxy/Ace torch
    Dayton 160 MIG
    6CF pot with 185 compressor
    Too much big equipment
    Even more small tools