Thread: Tghis was a ball buster

Post Thanks / Like

Tghis was a ball buster

So I was workin on a dozer blade on Wensday in the rain nice tarp over my head, have my coffee, donuts and my dry smokes. Here comes Paul the superintendent up there, hes got a ****ty grin on his face and shaking his head and I know this is gonna be interesting. He says in between the raindrops take a walk over to that 785 over there and take a look at that liner in the dump bed it popped up...maybe you can dog it back down and weld it up. So I take a walk to look at it after leaves to check on the next disaster. This liner is popped up alright the front end of it is 2 foot off the floor and the whole thig is bent like a banana and it packed with dirt and rocks underneath it, aint no way in hell I can dof that thing down in a day or 2 and fix it fast that way, they need this truck, one is down for hydraulic troubles and he only has one other one running. They got rock to haul out of one pit and coal to haul out of another pit. He comes back and says what do you think. I tell what I know and he says how long to cut the old junk out and replace it. I figured a few days and he says any quicker. I told him me and another guy can do it in a day or 2 if the weather cooperates and I know it wont but we will bust *** to get it done. ( they treat us good out there and that means a lot, Ive known these guys for years ) Do we have any plate he asks, I told him up in the bush there is some 1 inch and some 3/4, and its cruesabro 800 so it should hold up to the abuse, send Billy with the loader to bring what he can find. The only piece big enough was 1 inch. pictures below

Name:  Picture0620190933_1 (1).jpg
Views: 1105
Size:  93.2 KB

This is the problem

Name:  Picture0620190930_1 (3).jpg
Views: 1108
Size:  80.0 KB

And this is the fix, and this was the only time it didn't rain. 1870pds, and it was all that little crane wanted. had it welded up and rolling the next morning.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tghis was a ball buster

Some jobs call for special donuts. I'm thinkin' this called for raised glazed...…..put those wimpy cake donuts back in the pickup

Hey? Are the cross bars there to trap dirt, and stuff? Sort of to make a wear layer of dirt over the top of the steel?

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job on getting her done quick!!!

So was the peeled layer an initial 3/4 wear layer that someone added the strips to or was that all one layer?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Some jobs call for special donuts. I'm thinkin' this called for raised glazed...…..put those wimpy cake donuts back in the pickup

Hey? Are the cross bars there to trap dirt, and stuff? Sort of to make a wear layer of dirt over the top of the steel?
    The donuts were a gift from Dunkin from the shovel operator for fixin his bucket a week or so ago, like I said earlier these guys treat me good and keep me busy, always a good thing. Some were jelly filled cream filled some were glazed, it was a box of a dozen. All I know is that til I ate em all there was enough sugar in me to turn this salty old welder into a lollypop.

Yes those are wear bars, if you remember in the post about the backhoe bucket a few days ago someone asked about that. Same idea here. The dirt and such gets packed in between the bars and saves wear on the floor. This outfit that owns these jobs I work at go all out for wear protection, the only thing is they let it go way too long once its done and then this happens or something similar. I saved that plate and will one day if I ever get caught up cut those wear bars out of the plate and weld em onto the new plate unless the rest of it don't fall apart first, most of it is pretty well gone now
    Last edited by Popeye an old miner; 06-23-2019 at 08:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

ronsii...It was a 1inch wear plate originally with wear bars welded onto it, the floor is still intact...so far anyway

Post Thanks / Like

Gotcha yeah I wasn't sure from the pics... I've seen 3/4 bend like that when stuff starts to get wedged under it. You do some good work on the big stuff

Post Thanks / Like

Nice repair! We get the same happen to us as well. It is amazing how much leverage packed dirt can create! We have a laydown area full of 793 haul truck boxes as perforated and a sink strainer because they couldn't take a truck down. Years ago the practice was to weld old grader blade down to create a dirt deadbed like that, but the bosses hated having a excavator having to scratch the build up out during our winters. Now they weld down 1" thick hard overlay on the floors and up half the sides, then and AR 450 or better on the rest. Shovel buckets the same.
    TOOLS AND TOYS
    SMAW Mid States Inc. "MISSING LINK" 10-150 AMP Buzzer circa 1945ish
    SMAW Magic Wand 40-60 AMP Suitcase Buzzer circa 1939ish
    GMAW Hobart 210 Ironman
    Oxy-Propane Torch
    Many other old and cold goodies
    "Rusty but Trusty"

Post Thanks / Like

Ronsii...Thank you, the front of it at the point was wore down to nothing, part of what was left of the point was actually turned underneath it. I welded another piece in front of the new one to protect the point, which actually more of a flat nose this time. I like doin the big stuff, the little whatnots and widgets is something im just not good at, I guess its a lack of patience. If it under a 1/4 thick I get frustrated. Joe knows this and that's why he lets me to my own devices out here in the strippins, he knows the buckets and such will stay together when im done and he knows I come up with a solution in about 20 minutes and then get after it. Not bragging its just my way

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MISSING LINK View Post
    Nice repair! We get the same happen to us as well. It is amazing how much leverage packed dirt can create! We have a laydown area full of 793 haul truck boxes as perforated and a sink strainer because they couldn't take a truck down. Years ago the practice was to weld old grader blade down to create a dirt deadbed like that, but the bosses hated having a excavator having to scratch the build up out during our winters. Now they weld down 1" thick hard overlay on the floors and up half the sides, then and AR 450 or better on the rest. Shovel buckets the same.
    This overlay stuff we tried, I think it was called super c. hard flakey looking stuff laminated to mild steel? we tried this stuff but after about a month or 2 the hard laminate would peel off or break off, so now we just use the AR plate, most of it is this cruesabro brand they get from Australia

Post Thanks / Like

We had the same issue as well, the chipping off. We had to weld the seams up 100%, hardface wire being the last weld. Once we went to a seamless surface things went better. Usually 10 million tons thru a 41 yard bucket is our goal.
    TOOLS AND TOYS
    SMAW Mid States Inc. "MISSING LINK" 10-150 AMP Buzzer circa 1945ish
    SMAW Magic Wand 40-60 AMP Suitcase Buzzer circa 1939ish
    GMAW Hobart 210 Ironman
    Oxy-Propane Torch
    Many other old and cold goodies
    "Rusty but Trusty"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MISSING LINK View Post
    We had the same issue as well, the chipping off. We had to weld the seams up 100%, hardface wire being the last weld. Once we went to a seamless surface things went better. Usually 10 million tons thru a 41 yard bucket is our goal.
    They don't even get the stuff anymore, they are happy with this Cruesabro and I bet it last just as long as the super c

Post Thanks / Like

i gotta laff. not at your work;it's first class but at bosses in general. it's always,"can you get it done any quicker"? it got so as soon as i hear,"it's an emergency",line i added some hours to the estimate because i knew what was coming. couple day's before christmas there's a job had to get done so a cell block could open. the tour commander called the front gate and pulled my id so i couldn't leave. i worked through the night and got it done. typically that block didn't open till after the new year.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    i gotta laff. not at your work;it's first class but at bosses in general. it's always,"can you get it done any quicker"? it got so as soon as i hear,"it's an emergency",line i added some hours to the estimate because i knew what was coming. couple day's before christmas there's a job had to get done so a cell block could open. the tour commander called the front gate and pulled my id so i couldn't leave. i worked through the night and got it done. typically that block didn't open till after the new year.
    Most of the stuff I fix for this outfit is from normal wear and tear that's left go way too long, that's the case with this haultruck. Take notice all the other liners are pretty well shot as well and are starting to pop a bit. When they say about getting it done quick I usually tell em it didn't just wear out in the past 20 minutes its gonna take longer than 20 minutes to fix it. When these guys do shut something down to get rebuilt they go all out for the structural repairs and the wear protection, when its done they run the livin crap out of it until its completely woreout, then you get a lot of structural repairs before you start replacing wear plates. oh well, more work to keep me busy. Busy boys are happy boys

Post Thanks / Like

Making a living the old, hard way. Great repair, looks like they keep you busy with the heavy stuff, but I bet you've done enough grinding for 4 lifetimes chasing that dirt out - my hands go numb thinking about it.

Getting treated not just right but well makes a BIG difference in your job happiness, glad to hear it's a good environment over there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBlues View Post
    Making a living the old, hard way. Great repair, looks like they keep you busy with the heavy stuff, but I bet you've done enough grinding for 4 lifetimes chasing that dirt out - my hands go numb thinking about it.

Getting treated not just right but well makes a BIG difference in your job happiness, glad to hear it's a good environment over there.
    Yeah they keep me hoppin, most of it is heavy stuff. Actually I don't do a lot of work with a grinder to get rid of the dirt, the needle scaler and air chisel takes care of all that, I just use the grinder to shine up the iron a bit and to get rid rid of the mill scale and pickling from cutting the pieces out. Sometimes I gotta use a wire wheel on the dirt but not much.

These guys are a bunch of good ol boys and treat you with respect, and that's worth more than any of it, they've all come up the hard way and know the score, even the young bucks that are there. Joe, the fella I am contracted to and his famly is the same way. All old miners going back 3 or 4 generations