+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about a wrapped trailer tongue.

Post Thanks / Like

Question about a wrapped trailer tongue.

I am about to embark on a smoker build in which I am going to do everything from scratch including the trailer. It is only for me and I simply want to do it completely for the first one. That being said, I am building the frame from 3" channel (standard 4.1 I think it is). At the point where the frame "meets the tongue, instead of doing a mitre there and then welding it up, I would like to be able to notch the channel and bend it together to form the correct angle (which I think is 65 degrees since I am using a 50 degree coupler for the hitch. The trouble with it is that I am not sure how to go about marking up my channel to notch it. So do the two angles in the "V" shaped notch need to be at 32.5 degrees so when they are pulled together they form that 65 degrees?

I hope that depiction of what I am doing makes sense. I am not a fabricator by trade and its been a long time since geometry class. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Jimmy

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question about a wrapped trailer tongue.

I change many couplers on the job, and I've never bothered to measure the angle! If as you say, it is 50*, then that is a starting point. (Datum point)
    Half of that 50*, being 25*, is what seems to be the angle of the notch you need in the flanges of your channel. I would mark the back edge of the channel web where the notch must be, then lay out a 25* notch centered on that mark. Do that to each leg of the tongue, and the bends ought to be in the ball park. (Usual disclaimers apply.)
    Last edited by tanglediver; 06-26-2019 at 11:10 PM.
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & ISV Bible

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for responding. I figured it out. YAY!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I would use a tube
    I do not know how may channel tugs I seen bent.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jrpayne30040 View Post
    I am about to embark on a smoker build in which I am going to do everything from scratch including the trailer. It is only for me and I simply want to do it completely for the first one. That being said, I am building the frame from 3" channel (standard 4.1 I think it is). At the point where the frame "meets the tongue, instead of doing a mitre there and then welding it up, I would like to be able to notch the channel and bend it together to form the correct angle (which I think is 65 degrees since I am using a 50 degree coupler for the hitch. The trouble with it is that I am not sure how to go about marking up my channel to notch it. So do the two angles in the "V" shaped notch need to be at 32.5 degrees so when they are pulled together they form that 65 degrees?

I hope that depiction of what I am doing makes sense. I am not a fabricator by trade and its been a long time since geometry class. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Jimmy
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

Post Thanks / Like

Just an idea that has worked for me a few times.

Sometimes the way to be sure is a mock up. Lay it out on concrete slab or piece of cardboard. Make a tester piece out of paint sticks or other wood and double check the notches angles and get it right for sure the first time with so much less risk of a mess up.
    Furring strips, 2 X 2's and 2 X 4's if you can find straight ones and a miter saw and you can get some perfect fits without struggling with too many calculations. Then make it outa metal and be confident you'll be successful and make a nice product.
    Last edited by danielplace; 07-17-2019 at 11:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  2B3FB19C-895D-4388-AADC-F7BF2D171F03.jpeg
Views: 1265
Size:  32.3 KB

I am sure you will have some spare channel from the build. Do a practice cut and bend on scrap before you do the real deal.

A channel tongue is plenty stout for a smoker. That is the way my smoker trailer is built.

The picture is not my trailer or welds but illustrates something I would add. Put a square tube going crossways behind the bend in your channel and then run another square tube forward all the way to the hitch. This will add a lot of strength.
    Last edited by Drilldo; 09-04-2019 at 11:23 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist