Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CAT D9R Dozer Blade

Post Thanks / Like

Re: CAT D9R Dozer Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye an old miner View Post
    D9N...My son in law was runnin one when he got killed
    Sorry to hear about that, I remember reading that.
    In 1977 my favorite uncle and my grandfather that got me started on heavy equipment were killed in a rockslide just north of Valdez, Alaska. Uncle was on a 9H and Granddad was grade checking, they both had voiced concerns to the state engineers and the general contractor and were repeatedly told the rock wall was safe... Well it wasn't.
    My Aunt and Grandmother made out well suing both the state and contractor. But that didn't bring those guys back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye an old miner View Post
    It been crazy busy out there the past few weeks, I didn't get to work too much on the dozer blade, I repaired frames on 4 785 Cat haultrucks for a few days one week, funny how they all seem to break at the same place, the same way and all at once. Then they started losing innermediate tooth bases on the dragline so I rebuilt the noses on the bases on the bucket, that took about 4 days in between some other stuff they had me fix inside the house of the shovel, and there was some work I did on the Demag, that's on another post to come later. Then there was an emergency repair that took a whole weekend of around the clock work at a breaker at another location. Busy Busy Busy like that guy in the Christmas cartoon said ( Frosty the Snowman??). Lots of 14 hour days and more the past few weeks

Any way I did get a few days on the days on the dozer blade. This is some of what I got done.

Attachment 1704901 this the new extension for the moldboard

Attachment 1704902

when I get done weldin the first 8 gussets I will weld the splices and then start welding the extension for real on the back side, put the rest of the gussets on and weld them up. The cut the braces off the front and backouge the front seam and weld it, then I got to finish rebuilding the bottom corners. Tunzafun

It looks like you're making good progress and your craftsmanship really shows in your work.

Last time I checked a D9 sized dozer was in the 850K range. They are probably higher by now though.

I've owned this early 70's vintage D8H for 18 years. Helluva beast (weighs 90K lbs with the ripper) but it drinks about 125 gallons a day of fuel. The newer dozers are much more fuel efficient.

Name:  Bill_d84.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  14.4 KB
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

I think the D8H was one of the toughest machines ever built. A reasonable amount of care and lack of abuse those old girls seem to last forever. Dad had 3 H models and I don't recall them being in the shop for much more than undercarriage work. The D9G's (2) seemed to like torque convertor rebuilds at a regular pace.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    I think the D8H was one of the toughest machines ever built. A reasonable amount of care and lack of abuse those old girls seem to last forever. Dad had 3 H models and I don't recall them being in the shop for much more than undercarriage work. The D9G's (2) seemed to like torque convertor rebuilds at a regular pace.
    A little mom and pop outfit I worked for many years had 3 of those machines, spent a lot of days workin on those, put all new skin on the blades rebuilt the arms and other good stuff, had a lot of fun back then

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scsmith42 View Post
    It looks like you're making good progress and your craftsmanship really shows in your work.

Last time I checked a D9 sized dozer was in the 850K range. They are probably higher by now though.

I've owned this early 70's vintage D8H for 18 years. Helluva beast (weighs 90K lbs with the ripper) but it drinks about 125 gallons a day of fuel. The newer dozers are much more fuel efficient.

Name:  Bill_d84.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  14.4 KB
    Thank you...those machines are dinosaurs but there aint much that gets in their way

Post Thanks / Like

I finally got to finish this thing this week, I only got to work on it 2 or 3 days at a whack, what with stuff breakin on the dragline the Demag and busted frames on haultrucks. Its all good, busy boys are happy boys, and the old boy used to keep me pretty busy when I was a kid, I guess just to keep me from getting into trouble. In any case here is the finished up blade and they put it on the dozer the next day. I didn't get pictures of it on the dozer, me and Mrs K took each other out for our birthday dinner that day.

Name:  Picture1004190724_1 (1).jpg
Views: 366
Size:  99.5 KB

Name:  Picture0926190630_1 (1).jpg
Views: 358
Size:  50.5 KB

Name:  Picture1004190726_1 (1).jpg
Views: 357
Size:  85.8 KB

Name:  Picture1004190727_1 (1).jpg
Views: 360
Size:  83.1 KB

One thing I forgot to mention about workin with these heavy cuttin edges...fill the holes in with a bolt, any bolt will do and then weld it in, otherwise they will crack in between the holes, Ive been told these edges are harder than anything made out of carbon steel, so keep em hot when workin on them and post heat em and wrap em up at the end of the day. One of the side cutter pieces I was workin on I didnt have bolts at the time to put in so I just did it without them, yup sure enough it cracked right down thru 3 holes, so I filled em in with bolts and then gouged em out with the jetarc right thru the holes and welded it all back up, and one side of the blade the one weld cracked overnight when it started to rain right while I was wrapping up for the day covered it up best I could with a fire blanket but it didn't help none so I cut the weld out and welded it back up.

On the moldboard it cracked from the long weld up to some of the holes, which I expected, as there is no support on the top edge, and in between some of the holes as well. This too I expected, its just the nature of this stuff, so you gouge em out and spend a day or so chasing little cracks, if it the next day you have no cracks you are good to go. There were no cracks along the edge of the or thru the long weld either so that was all good. This is about the 7th or 8th one of done like this over the years and it has been working well for me.

One more thing...get a good needle scaler or air chisel and peen the livin crap out of the welds in between passes, I don't understand what it does but it makes a big difference. I suppose this is why I wear a needle scaler out evry 3 or 4 months
    Last edited by Popeye an old miner; 10-06-2019 at 08:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

NICEWORK!I think the peening of the metal miss align's the molecules of the steel so no crack lines,this is my speculatios cause i'm NOT a metalergist!can't spee either
    either you LIKE BACON or you're WRONG!!!! "There are three kinds of men.The ones that learn by readin'.The few who learn by observation.The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves"-Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

spell
    either you LIKE BACON or you're WRONG!!!! "There are three kinds of men.The ones that learn by readin'.The few who learn by observation.The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves"-Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

Oh!!! thought you meant you 'can'ts pee either'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bhound View Post
    NICEWORK!I think the peening of the metal miss align's the molecules of the steel so no crack lines,this is my speculatios cause i'm NOT a metalergist!can't spee either
    If I remember right Owen tried to explain it to me that it compresses the molecules or atoms on the surface and toughens the weld metal and pushes the molecules or atoms on the edges on the side into the base metal while the inside of the weld remains flexible. Does that sound right?. Seems hard to believe a needle scaler could do all that, but Owen used one religiously on this stuff and who am I to argue with a fella that probly was welding when Jesus was playing with his daddys wood shavings? So I will keep using them and an air chisel when needed.

Im no metallurgy guy either, so if someone who is close to being one or is one could shed light on this feel free to chime in.

I can spell ok most times but I damn sure don't type too good