Thread: Coffin Bucket

Post Thanks / Like

Coffin Bucket

This is a coffin bucket I made from a 5 yard dragline bucket, if I remember correctly its a Hendrix with a manganese lip. Did this about 25 years ago, I added 6 inches on top the bucket a few years ago to increase the capacity

Name:  Coffin bucket.jpg
Views: 933
Size:  101.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coffin Bucket

How far did it go when that winch line broke?

Post Thanks / Like

that isn't a line for a winch, its the trip cable to make the bucket dump, they just cut the cables off with a torch when they take a bucket off. The wooly hair you see is the tail that sticks out from the socket where it wraps around the wedge, they usually leave 18 inches to 2 foot for a tail and it gets pretty wooly from diggin

Post Thanks / Like

paom; do you guys pour your own spelter sockets or buy ready made?
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    paom; do you guys pour your own spelter sockets or buy ready made?

Spelter bucket??? I never heard em called that. No these buckets are made by various manufacturers, Hendrix, ESCO, Page and there is another one I cant think of the name anymore. Hendrix buckets use manganese lips a lot. The company I worked for for years had a bunch of bukets, most of them were worn out and tore up pretty bad. They would give me one to work on as a steady project, I would work on this bucket and completely rebuild it new floors wear plates trunnion hitches wear parts the whole bit. Sometimes they woud get wear parts from Esco or Hensley and some times I would build my own. Depending on what else broke and took a few days or weeks to fix while I was workin on this project I could do it in about 3 or 4 months, sometimes more if it was a big one. The biggest they had were 13 yard buckets for the 7400 Marion and an old Bucyrus-Erie 380, and there was a one they called the 9W, I think it was a Bucyrus Erie as well, but don't quote me on that.

They had 3 veins about 5 or 6 foot thick and they were about 30 feet apart and they were strait pitch meaning they stood strait up and down running generally southwest to northeast, they didn't want to have to drill the rock in between if they didn't have to. So they removed the overburden and got the coal exposed and started digging with a backhoe, yes a backhoe, so they drug this 5 yard bucket up onto the knob where I did all this bucket work. The middle tooth base was busted out and the floor was peeled open like a tin can, picture this bucket upside down with the floor turned into batwings.

So they told me what they wanted me to do, cut the middle of the lip out where the tooth base was ripped out and cut the back out of it, and cut the arch, make it as narrow as possible without having to completely build a new arch, got it down to about 4 ft 9 or so and tacked the arch, the lip and the back together with some good heavy tacks and made a floor plate and welded it all up.

They dug those 3 veins for about 4 years and went about 3 miles or so with a Manitowoc 4600 and never had to take that bucket off except to change rope. After a while they all pinched out